Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

10 February 2021


becky, Fazio, Irfan, janina, JF, JonnyJames, JPaton, Matthew_Atkinson, MichaelC, NeilS, paul_grenier
Amy, Gottfried, Ian

Meeting minutes

Agenda Review & Announcements

Janina (and the group): Welcome David and Fredrik!

Janina: we now have a transcription feature via Zoom (not planning to archive, but should be enabled soon).

Michael: The transcript isn't a substitute for human captioning, but should be useful. (Checks for objections before turning it on.)

Michael: The feature is enabled and shows up in Zoom's UI. It is possible for attendees to save the transcript themselves (it is not auto-saved). There is speaker identification, but it's not saved with the transcript.

Neil [I think -scribe]: Will this replace scribes?

Michael: This is not expected; scribing can be terser and easier to access institutional memory as a result.

Rechartering Update https://raw.githack.com/w3c/apa/charter-2021/charter.html

Janina: COGA would like to remain part of APA. David is here to liaise with us. We need cognitive expertise when reviewing specs.

Janina: we don't name TFs in our charter but do name some deliverables and have added a bullet point for COGA's deliverable(s).

Becky: the point added was "Information about accessibility needs of specific user groups, such as Making content usable for people with cognitive and learning disabilities;"

JF: If COGA is a joint TF, what about others?

Janina: Discussions ongoing, but for COGA, both AGWG and APA have different needs of the COGA group and they're happy to help. E.g. COGA may provide feedback on a spec before we run a CfC.

Janina: If there are other similar groups, please raise them. The next step for the charter is CfC: are there any objections to adding this bullet point?

<janina> https://www.w3.org/2018/08/apa-charter

David: Is this how the COGA deliverables information was listed last time? [URL above]

Michael: We simplified the charter/deliverables section considerably this time. We didn't have a hook for COGA so added this line.

David: *Concern as to whether this may fundamentally alters the relationship; will discuss with COGA.*

Janina: Our approach this time was to be inclusive by example, rather than exhaustive of every possible deliverable. CfC will begin later.

Task Force Updates

Janina: Plan for CfC on FPWD from Pronunciation by the end of the month.

Irfan: Working on errors/warnings from spec system with Michael.

Janina: RQTF expecting CfC on WebRTC User Requirements soon.

David: COGA currently going through the GitHub issues on Content Usable, looking at person-first/identity-first language.

FAST Progress

Josh: Currently aggregating user needs; working on a robust set of these on which we can build requirements. Work ongoing on the database. Progressing well.

Michael: The user needs are in a work-in-progress branch in GitHub.

Janina: FAST features here in APA and in Silver (informing guidelines). Here it's helping us develop guidance for other WGs look on their own at what it takes to do accessibility and giving us some help in understanding their specs.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

<MichaelC> https://w3c.github.io/sdw/roadmap/charter-2020.html

Michael: Spatial Data on the Web

Michael: We've reviewed at least one of their specs. They have a liaison statement to WAI (should be us). Need to decide whether what they're doing is relevant.

<JF> Perhaps here: Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices

Janina: perhaps annotations e.g. to help find accessibility info about places?

<paul_grenier> from their 2017 note (https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/NOTE-sdw-bp-20170928/) "The key problems we are trying to solve in this document are discoverability, accessibility and interoperability."

Becky: There seems to be a lot of overlap with other groups we're interested in.

Janina: Seems relevant to the maps group.

Janina/Josh to ping the Maps on the Web group.

JF: We would be interested in their best practices document. Relevant to wayfinding.

<Fazio__> we did a joint COGA panel with geospatial

JF: There is a project going on about accessibility of public spaces/places.

Paul: Is there a need to connect to XAUR?

Michael: We can mention this in our coordination with XR.

Josh: +1

David: Geospatial team and maps had a joint conference with COGA—definitely relevant here and we should work together. Can provide reference info.

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/machine-learning-charter

Janina: Seems of interest; revisit next week.

Michael: We are overdue on this.

Janina: will add to agenda for next RQTF

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/manifest-app-info/

Michael: 6 language gap analyses (we have been skipping—OK?) *group agrees*

Michael: Web App Manifest - Application Information

Michael: Notes that the "screenshots" field has an accessible name field (direct reference to accName from ARIA).

Paul: Is it _required_?

Paul: (Appears that it is not required.)

Janina: What stage is this?

Michael: "Constantly-evolving" published on commit.

Paul: Authors are encouraged to provide the value—i.e. not required; it should be required.

Michael: Need a comment from someone.

Action: grenier to review Web App Manifest - Application Information

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2282 - Review web app manifest - application information [on Paul Grenier - due 2021-02-17].

<MichaelC> action-2282: https://www.w3.org/TR/manifest-app-info/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2282 Review web app manifest - application information.

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1557

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

<becky> https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1557

<MichaelC> action-2282: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Web_App_Manifest_-_Application_Information

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2282 Review web app manifest - application information.

Janina: We need to review their comment. [they have a PR]

Janina: Let's review next week and let them know.

Summary of action items

  1. grenier to review Web App Manifest - Application Information
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).


Succeeded: s/Niel/Neil/

Maybe present: David, Josh, Michael, Paul