IRC log of apa on 2021-02-10

Timestamps are in UTC.

16:45:06 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #apa
16:45:06 [RRSAgent]
logging to
16:45:08 [trackbot]
RRSAgent, make logs public
16:45:08 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #apa
16:45:10 [trackbot]
Meeting: Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference
16:45:10 [trackbot]
Date: 10 February 2021
16:45:14 [janina]
Chair: Janina
16:45:21 [janina]
16:45:26 [janina]
agenda+ Agenda Review & Announcements
16:45:26 [janina]
agenda+ Rechartering Update
16:45:29 [janina]
agenda+ Task Force Updates
16:45:32 [janina]
agenda+ FAST Progress
16:45:34 [janina]
agenda+ New Charters Review
16:45:37 [janina]
agenda+ new on TR
16:45:40 [janina]
agenda+ Actions Checkin (Specs)
16:45:42 [janina]
agenda+ Horizontal Review Issues Tracker
16:45:45 [janina]
agenda+ Other Business
16:45:48 [janina]
agenda+ be done
16:46:49 [janina]
Regrets: Gottfried, Amy
16:51:00 [Fazio]
Fazio has joined #apa
16:51:11 [janina]
regrets+ Ian
16:52:43 [janina]
16:57:59 [JPaton]
JPaton has joined #APA
16:59:30 [paul_grenier]
paul_grenier has joined #apa
16:59:43 [paul_grenier]
17:00:33 [stevelee]
stevelee has joined #apa
17:00:48 [JPaton]
17:00:55 [becky]
becky has joined #apa
17:01:14 [Fazio]
17:01:19 [becky]
17:01:45 [Irfan]
Irfan has joined #apa
17:01:54 [Irfan]
17:02:11 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Matthew_Atkinson has joined #apa
17:02:17 [Matthew_Atkinson]
17:02:21 [christos]
christos has joined #apa
17:02:48 [JonnyJames]
JonnyJames has joined #apa
17:03:19 [JF]
JF has joined #apa
17:03:23 [JonnyJames]
17:03:25 [JF]
17:03:26 [Matthew_Atkinson]
scribe: Matthew_Atkinson
17:03:51 [JF]
zakim, who's here?
17:03:51 [Zakim]
Present: janina, paul_grenier, JPaton, Fazio, becky, Irfan, Matthew_Atkinson, JonnyJames, JF
17:03:53 [Zakim]
On IRC I see JF, JonnyJames, christos, Matthew_Atkinson, Irfan, becky, stevelee, paul_grenier, JPaton, Fazio, Zakim, RRSAgent, MichaelC, janina, tink, ZoeBijl, slightlyoff,
17:03:53 [Zakim]
... joconnor, manu, ada, Rachael, cwilso, trackbot
17:04:02 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Zakim, next item
17:04:02 [Zakim]
agendum 1 -- Agenda Review & Announcements -- taken up [from janina]
17:04:56 [MichaelC]
17:06:37 [janina]
zakim, who's here?
17:06:37 [Zakim]
Present: janina, paul_grenier, JPaton, Fazio, becky, Irfan, Matthew_Atkinson, JonnyJames, JF, MichaelC
17:06:39 [Zakim]
On IRC I see JF, JonnyJames, christos, Matthew_Atkinson, Irfan, becky, stevelee, paul_grenier, JPaton, Fazio, Zakim, RRSAgent, MichaelC, janina, tink, ZoeBijl, slightlyoff,
17:06:39 [Zakim]
... joconnor, manu, ada, Rachael, cwilso, trackbot
17:13:29 [NeilS]
NeilS has joined #apa
17:13:41 [NeilS]
17:16:26 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina (and the group): Welcome David and Fredrik!
17:17:40 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: we now have a transcription feature via Zoom (not planning to archive, but should be enabled soon).
17:18:30 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: The transcript isn't a substitute for human captioning, but should be useful. (Checks for objections before turning it on.)
17:19:53 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: The feature is enabled and shows up in Zoom's UI. It is possible for attendees to save the transcript themselves (it is not auto-saved). There is speaker identification, but it's not saved with the transcript.
17:21:18 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Niel [I think -scribe]: Will this replace scribes?
17:21:59 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: This is not expected; scribing can be terser and easier to access institutional memory as a result.
17:22:07 [Matthew_Atkinson]
17:22:17 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Zakim, next item
17:22:17 [Zakim]
agendum 2 -- Rechartering Update -- taken up [from janina]
17:23:18 [JF]
17:23:59 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: COGA would like to remain part of APA. David is here to liaise with us. We need cognitive expertise when reviewing specs.
17:24:35 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: we don't name TFs in our charter but do name some deliverables and have added a bullet point for COGA's deliverable(s).
17:24:43 [janina]
17:24:55 [janina]
ack jf
17:25:31 [Fazio__]
Fazio__ has joined #apa
17:25:47 [Fazio__]
17:25:48 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Becky: the point added was "Information about accessibility needs of specific user groups, such as Making content usable for people with cognitive and learning disabilities;"
17:26:02 [Matthew_Atkinson]
JF: If COGA is a joint TF, what about others?
17:27:04 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: Discussions ongoing, but for COGA, both AGWG and APA have different needs of the COGA group and they're happy to help. E.g. COGA may provide feedback on a spec before we run a CfC.
17:29:23 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: If there are other similar groups, please raise them. The next step for the charter is CfC: are there any objections to adding this bullet point?
17:30:09 [Matthew_Atkinson]
ack JF
17:30:38 [janina]
17:30:55 [Matthew_Atkinson]
David: Is this how the COGA deliverables information was listed last time? [URL above]
17:31:26 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: We simplified the charter/deliverables section considerably this time. We didn't have a hook for COGA so added this line.
17:31:50 [Matthew_Atkinson]
David: *Concern as to whether this may fundamentally alters the relationship; will discuss with COGA.*
17:32:08 [Matthew_Atkinson]
ack Fazio__
17:33:00 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: Our approach this time was to be inclusive by example, rather than exhaustive of every possible deliverable. CfC will begin later.
17:33:12 [becky]
17:33:19 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Zakim, next item
17:33:19 [Zakim]
agendum 3 -- Task Force Updates -- taken up [from janina]
17:33:55 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: Plan for CfC on FPWD from Pronunciation by the end of the month.
17:34:46 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Irfan: Working on errors/warnings from spec system with Michael.
17:35:24 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: RQTF expecting CfC on WebRTC User Requirements soon.
17:36:43 [Matthew_Atkinson]
David: COGA currently going through the GitHub issues on Content Usable, looking at person-first/identity-first language.
17:37:27 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Zakim, next item
17:37:27 [Zakim]
agendum 4 -- FAST Progress -- taken up [from janina]
17:41:06 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Josh: Currently aggregating user needs; working on a robust set of these on which we can build requirements. Work ongoing on the database. Progressing well.
17:42:43 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: The user needs are in a work-in-progress branch in GitHub.
17:44:05 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: FAST features here in APA and in Silver (informing guidelines). Here it's helping us develop guidance for other WGs look on their own at what it takes to do accessibility and giving us some help in understanding their specs.
17:44:14 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Zakim, next item
17:44:14 [Zakim]
agendum 5 -- New Charters Review -- taken up [from janina]
17:44:36 [MichaelC]
17:44:52 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: Spatial Data on the Web
17:46:10 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: We've reviewed at least one of their specs. They have a liaison statement to WAI (should be us). Need to decide whether what they're doing is relevant.
17:46:14 [JF]
Perhaps here: Spatial Data on the Web Best Practices
17:46:29 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: perhaps annotations e.g. to help find accessibility info about places?
17:46:54 [JF]
17:47:29 [paul_grenier]
from their 2017 note ( "The key problems we are trying to solve in this document are discoverability, accessibility and interoperability."
17:47:54 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Becky: There seems to be a lot of overlap with other groups we're interested in.
17:48:03 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: Seems relevant to the maps group.
17:48:05 [paul_grenier]
17:48:27 [janina]
17:48:29 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina/Josh to ping the Maps on the Web group.
17:48:35 [janina]
ack jf
17:48:58 [Matthew_Atkinson]
JF: We would be interested in their best practices document. Relevant to wayfinding.
17:49:20 [Fazio__]
we did a joint COGA panel with geospatial
17:49:25 [Matthew_Atkinson]
JF: There is a project going on about accessibility of public spaces/places.
17:49:28 [Fazio__]
17:49:43 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Paul: Is there a need to connect to XAUR?
17:49:54 [paul_grenier]
ack paul_grenier
17:50:24 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: We can mention this in our coordination with XR.
17:50:28 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Josh: +1
17:51:24 [becky]
ack Fazio
17:51:38 [stevelee]
stevelee has joined #apa
17:52:02 [Matthew_Atkinson]
David: Geospatial team and maps had a joint conference with COGA—definitely relevant here and we should work together. Can provide reference info.
17:52:49 [MichaelC]
17:53:20 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: Seems of interest; revisit next week.
17:53:52 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: We are overdue on this.
17:54:03 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: will add to agenda for next RQTF
17:54:06 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Zakim, next item
17:54:06 [Zakim]
agendum 6 -- new on TR -- taken up [from janina]
17:54:33 [MichaelC]
17:54:36 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: 6 language gap analyses (we have been skipping—OK?) *group agrees*
17:54:56 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: Web App Manifest - Application Information
17:55:27 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: Notes that the "screenshots" field has an accessible name field (direct reference to accName from ARIA).
17:55:45 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Paul: Is it _required_?
17:56:31 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Paul: (Appears that it is not required.)
17:57:03 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: What stage is this?
17:57:22 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: "Constantly-evolving" published on commit.
17:57:48 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Paul: Authors are encouraged to provide the value—i.e. not required; it should be required.
17:58:14 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Michael: Need a comment from someone.
17:58:32 [MichaelC]
action: grenier to review Web App Manifest - Application Information
17:58:32 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-2282 - Review web app manifest - application information [on Paul Grenier - due 2021-02-17].
17:58:48 [MichaelC]
17:58:48 [trackbot]
Notes added to action-2282 Review web app manifest - application information.
17:59:17 [MichaelC]
17:59:31 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Zakim, next item
17:59:31 [Zakim]
agendum 7 -- Actions Checkin (Specs) -- taken up [from janina]
17:59:40 [becky]
18:00:21 [MichaelC]
18:00:21 [trackbot]
Notes added to action-2282 Review web app manifest - application information.
18:01:17 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: We need to review their comment. [they have a PR]
18:01:54 [Matthew_Atkinson]
Janina: Let's review next week and let them know.
18:02:38 [Matthew_Atkinson]
RRSAgent, make minutes
18:02:38 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate Matthew_Atkinson
18:36:29 [stevelee]
stevelee has joined #apa
19:26:20 [jamesn]
jamesn has joined #apa