Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

04 February 2021


Addison, Atsushi, Bert, Felix, JcK, Richard
Addison Phillips

Meeting minutes

trackbot, prepare teleconference

Agenda Review

Action Items



<trackbot> action-989: Addison Phillips to Check tus and if necessary ping unicode folks about d145 normalization case fold ordering questions -- due 2021-01-21 -- OPEN


<trackbot> action-991: Addison Phillips to Ping payment-request chairs to ask if it would be appropriate to do a fresh review based on our look into closing 251 and long time since last full review -- due 2021-02-04 -- OPEN

close action-991

<trackbot> Closed action-991.



<trackbot> action-992: Atsushi Shimono to Close 8 items from email, adding comments from email to our issue and adding comment in matching issue in target wg's github iff needed -- due 2021-02-04 -- OPEN

close action-992

<trackbot> Closed action-992.

Info Share

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/Member/wiki/Internationalization_Initiative_Progress_report_Jan_2021

richard: did a report on i18n language enablement initiative
… here's a link
… to a bunch of apple folks who are mostly the funders at the moment

richard: we had someone from monotype join the group

RADAR Review

Action: r12a to check out access to progress report

<trackbot> Created ACTION-993 - Check out access to progress report [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-02-11].


Action: richard: update automated welcome e-mail template

<trackbot> Created ACTION-994 - Update automated welcome e-mail template [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-02-11].

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/blog/International/2021/02/04/6-gap-analysis-first-public-working-drafts-published/

richard: just published 6 gap analysis documents
… about an hour ago
… as FPWD

richard: some improvements in these, trying to spread to other docs
… if create a new issue
… the text users were previously left to own devices
… now you get a template with sub-heads
… specs, tests/results, browser bugs, priority
… and some placeholder text in those so people will know sort of what to write

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/TR/latn-fr-gap/#vertical_text

richard: so french document...

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/TR/latn-fr-gap/#quotations

addison: underscore markdown...

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/Member/wiki/Internationalization_Initiative_Progress_report_Jan_2021

richard: fuqiao has been very helpful in raising bugs against the browsers


<trackbot> action-993: Richard Ishida to Check out access to progress report -- due 2021-02-11 -- OPEN

close action-993

<trackbot> Closed action-993.


<r12a> https://github.com/WICG/open-ui/issues/258

<r12a> "Arabic script has its own number separators, which are used in Arabic language text when the non-European digits are used. They are ٫ [U+066B ARABIC DECIMAL SEPARATOR] and ٬ [U+066C ARABIC THOUSANDS SEPARATOR]."

<r12a> https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/#numbers

<r12a> Specifying changes to parameters for fallback fonts https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/126

Summary of action items

  1. r12a to check out access to progress report
  2. richard: update automated welcome e-mail template
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by scribe.perl version 127 (Wed Dec 30 17:39:58 2020 UTC).