Cognitive and Learning Disabilities Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

27 Aug 2020


stevelee, LisaSeemanKest, Jennie, JohnRochford, Rachael, Betsy_Furler


<LisaSeemanKest> clear agenda

<LisaSeemanKest> regrets, roy, abi, ea

<LisaSeemanKest> scribe: kirkwood

Lisa: we have a quorum it seems

Actions https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Actions

Lisa: first thing is action items
... actions draft are done will do on list for others

<LisaSeemanKest> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2020Aug/0037.html

Lisa: sent to list to review on list

MC: may need to help out with review its getting more structured
... there is a self review checklist which we should go through
... i owe help with personlization tag review

LS: EO glosssary call is later today, Rachel has orgainzed
... we have draft on process Rachel and I worked on it
... good for people to look at it, realize its augurst

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f4NhQMtQthDbShVje3evTqELBa9eR6eSyoA31Jjlgm4/edit#heading=h.38pppwromd4r

LS: process proposal link is in google doc
... if anyone wants to comment that would be great to put on to do list to review. need to give people two weeks
... wanted to ask WCAG about giving us issues soon

RM: i put on agenda week before and have an action to followup and to see if join thursday at 11 calls

<LisaSeemanKest> acxk j

LS: had in before then

JD: talking about content usable?

LS: yes

SL: that link is process for issues

LS: same page earlier on
... really good for everyone to revew it, hopefully for next week or week after
... we have glossary, askin Jennie if process for feedback

JD: we started reviewing in group hopefully ready for next week

LS: requirments?

JD: yes

LS: look for essential

JD: we reviewed in other group as well

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AuM-06Alk5VgVgFPTsJD2DcadIrcGIRVDcNgFwPiQRc/edit#heading=h.hn6izv5ma2u

LS: could add to glossary?

JD: we could but Abby making it easy to find so didn’t want to add other things

LS: proposed other items

JD: above agreed definitions

LS: will add to those terms
... list of terms ideally in glossary and does it go before November

SL: things that should be in before next release

JD: put in proposed terms and terms before November
... we are working through things

LS: if people want to join should ask you

JD: yes anyone can join

LS: editorial review next thing

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Actions\

LS: link to list of actions for Betsy

BF: i took a stab at it trying to figure it out, edit within doc or take notes

LS: just take notes at this point
... could you change version to the right one, Steve?
... there is a list of final edits, have to update links
... Steve can i have you update links?
... otherwise i’ll do it

BF: i have taken notes on it

LS: we have an action later today
... haven’t seen it yet Steve?

JD: setup a time to go through instructions

call next week?

LS: we’ll reach it next week anyway
... ok for call next week?
... any no’s for next week??
... so yes on next week

glossary https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AuM-06Alk5VgVgFPTsJD2DcadIrcGIRVDcNgFwPiQRc/edit#heading=h.hn6izv5ma2u

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AuM-06Alk5VgVgFPTsJD2DcadIrcGIRVDcNgFwPiQRc/edit#heading=h.hn6izv5ma2u

LS: glossary believe Jennie wanted to talk about memory and other. alternative definitions might be good to add
... alternative versions rather than editing may be good
... if people go through put +1 in comments would be good
... let subteam where you stand
... if you can’t live with it, write the definition you can live with and add source
... to help subteam


JD: we did go through and added insturctions from last meeting, and two or three sentence intro should be ready for group next week. Just helping understand internationlization piece will be coming
... like to start with mental health first
... Abby was proposing around mental health and wondering if we need to have a definition or in glossary

LS: could we put a link

<Jennie> https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/

<Jennie> Mental health issues can also result in cognitive difficulties, such as difficulty focusing, cognitive fatigue or reduced memory. Overall, by addressing barriers to accessibility for users with cognitive and learning disabilities, improvements to digital technologies can be achieved and there is the potential to improve user experience for everyone.

LS: we have same thing in many places, considered about wether this defines it
... worth seeing if we have a good definition
... if we get stuck and can’t resolve should we remove?

JD: if we get stuck should we add what we have

LS: not sure we agree, maybe should refer to paragraph
... i could probably live with it

JD: i will paste in both to get feedback from group

<Jennie> Mental health disabilities refer to conditions that disrupt a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others, and daily functioning. This includes anxiety, delirium, depression, paranoia, schizophrenia, and many other disorders. These conditions may cause difficulty focusing on information, processing information, or understanding it. In particular, medication for these disorders may have side effects including blurred vision, hand t[CUT]

<Jennie> impairments.

“Mental health disabilities commonly refer to condtions”

I would propose to that.

<Jennie> Mental health refers to our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. A Mental health impairment generally has some combination of disturbed thoughts, emotions, ability to relate to others, that impares daily functioning. Examples include depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder

I like direction of second

JD: do you have a source LS?

LS: its in comment

JD: others with concern?

LS: silence as agreement


JD: wanted to make sure follow consensus process? do poll and send to list?

LS: agreement on list or on call, at end will need a CFC type email to include disability groups involved


RM: my though to handle vote for each here

LS: agreement

JD: next time memory impairments

<Jennie> Memory impairments involve limited working and short-term memory, missing long-term memory, or limited ability to recall language. Brain injuries, dementia and learning disability are among many different causes of memory impairments.

JD: this one is in COGA closed item in definition

I would put aging rather than dementia

<Jennie> Memory impairments are where a person is unable to remember or recall bits of information or behavioral skills that are usually remembered. It can affect: ...

I would add when needed

“recall bits of information when needed” like the second

<Betsy_Furler> Could we replace buts

<Betsy_Furler> Bits with pieces

<Betsy_Furler> I would use pieces of information in a clinical report

edits https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/List_for_final_edit and https://github.com/w3c/coga/issues

JD: take to call with John abby and i and bring back

LS: need to talk about edits
... Steve what is the process? managing changes.

SL: I should have list, wiki page
... original idea to have somewhere to track in final edit

LS: yes

SL: porvded wiki page for this, though we’d create gitbhub issue for this, but wasn’t Lisa understanding
... wanted to clarify decision making process

LS: we have external comments on issue list
... process we have to respond by certain date and these isses clos on september 10
... some need smaller change, can go through on list, or right to make editorial

SL: feel on list but feeling is we don’t want to do that here
... but if add to wiki page but difficult to track

LS: last time we did google doc and brought to list

S: not an wiki

LS: correct because not easy to track input and edits
... propose we have a google doc
... editorial content change we could mark with a color or something.
... we could flag diffentaly for content apporval change rather than edorial

RM: i like that process

JK: yes me too

SL: how do we do a change then?

LS: make a google doc. I want to change this sentence to read like this

RM: sounds sensible to me
... we will have ediroial meetings at 11
... will send an email

SL: yes agree with process
... make significant issues want to change

LS: anyone have a problem with process?

<Betsy_Furler> I’m fine with it

LS: will take action to make google document for changes
... maybe a second google doc for big ticket items

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/List_for_final_edit

LS: Betsy you are reviewing final list for edits
... its the 10th for issues

SL: wanted to clarify how with issues and wiki page, its a learning process

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/08/27 15:53:10 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/JS/LS/
Present: stevelee LisaSeemanKest Jennie JohnRochford Rachael Betsy_Furler
Found Scribe: kirkwood
Inferring ScribeNick: kirkwood

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 27 Aug 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]