Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

05 Aug 2020


janina, Matthew_Atkinson, NeilS, becky


<janina> scribe: neil

Agenda Review & Announcements

APA Rechartering

michael: no progress on charter

Janina: stub page is close to what we want; phillipe is review whether we really need to recharter
... need to be official to publish drafts (pronunciation)

Virtual TPAC 2020 Planning

Janina: have been sending out requests for joint meetings; will start trying to pick times
... sometimes we need to meeting with many groups; hopefully will good outcomes despite being virtual

Task Force Updates

Janina: pronunciation is going to have one more call to gather input from some people who were on vacation. Invites others to join the call. Two hours earlier.
... personalizaiton is moving closer to recommendation
... [new member introduction with John Paton]

FAST Progress

Janina: FAST is needed by silver, from APA's point of view, we like to know what other specs do. We have a questionnaire to do a self eval before we evaluate their spec
... groups have begun to use and we will promote it more by TPAC

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Michael: nothing new on the charter front
... no new publications; TTL went to publication but APA hasn't formally signed off. Are we good?

Gottfried: it's been a while, but I think it was all good

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/open

Janina: we need to update the wiki
... anyone with progress? [no one]

Amy: CSS TF review CSS painting API. CR in 2018?

Janina: can't recall what our issue might have been with it.

Amy: back in 2016 -- Fred said it is low priority to review

Janina: I think we are fine to close this

Amy: I agree
... I will close this one
... next is CSS Table module level 3. Still in draft. Last updated a year ago (warning says not ready for implementation)

Janina: main concern is being able to find out about header info without having to walk all the way to the header

Amy: that's mainly HTML. CSS can break a11y though.
... I'll leave this one open

Becky: we talked about a CSS issues last week (users override CSS stylesheets).
... reached out to wayne dick, but he said rarely is user stylesheet is used for accomodation.
... ... [some potential changes that are user]
... ... this is a personalization problem. I think JSON or XML schema is better than CSS for doing this

Janina: some of this is address by CSS Media Query 5. Scaling is something that jumped out to me.

Gottfried: I want to set up a wiki page to collect things to add to a media query level 5.
... I will post it to the list once I have something ready

Janina: something to talk with the CSS group at TPAC. We have a joint meeting scheduled.

Issues Dashboard Review https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Michael: nothing new on the dashboard. Two issues closed by another group.

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/manifest/issues/860

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3856

Micheal: ... leonie needs to sign off on this

Michael: ... talked about last week. Did we make a decision?

Becky: I think we did...

Michael: I don't see anything minuted on this (CSS color contrast issue)

Becky: James Craig was on vacation so hasn't been able to comment, awaiting him to comment

Community Groups Tracking https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

Janina: no August calls about CG

Other Business

Janina: we may have talked about sync'd media. Should we have W3C talk about what it means to sync media.
... for a movie, approx scene to scene is ok
... if for actors, it has to be to the millisecond for people trying to use lip reading
... probably needs to be within 100ms.
... who should take that on?
... The other conversation is who should use personalization?
... there has been the concept of a step counter so you can say you are step one of 5
... navigation is also another use case -- e.g., need a sidewalk path because of wheelchair usage
... another TPAC group discussion to be had

Becky: we haven't started queries about synchronization, have we?

Janina: not yet
... [issues with real time text (RTT)]
... for blind users if you put it up too fast then it has trouble converting to braille due to contractions
... for someone who is deaf, you want it ASAP

be done

RSSAgent, make minutes

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/08/05 16:59:10 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision of Date 
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: janina, Matthew_Atkinson, NeilS, becky
Present: janina Matthew_Atkinson NeilS becky
Regrets: John_Foliot
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: NeilS
Found Scribe: neil
Found Date: 05 Aug 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]