Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

29 Apr 2020


janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, becky, Matthew_Atkinson, irfan, Joshue, present, LisaSeemanKest, Rachael_, JF, Joshue108
Becky, Gottfried
Matthew_Atkinson, janina


<janina> https://www.w3.org/wiki/2020_website_redesign/users

<Matthew_Atkinson> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson

Agenda Review & Announcements

Task Force Updates: COGA; Others?

<Rachael_> Current version of this document is at: https://raw.githack.com/w3c/coga/changes-after-0327/content-usable/index.html

<janina> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2020Apr/0002.html

Lisa: COGA has been working on a large document covering several aspects of making content usable for people with cognitive and learning disabilities. It covers design, use cases, patterns, other areas [links above].
... the content is non-normative: it points at various things that are known from research to work for different people, but doesn't require particular approaches - user testing will show what works for your users and it's fine to go with what you know works for your users. It's not designed to give mandatory requirements.
... the COGA team is seeking a wide review, and hoping to publish it.

Rachael: COGA has been working iteratively on this; hoping to publish it as a final deliverable. It's informative, not normative, but COGA feels it would be widely useful and wants to publish later in the year (~August-September).

Janina: CfC URL can be found above; be sure to copy comments to COGA list.

JF: Worth asking Education and Outreach WG for a review of this document too.

Rachael: We'll be reaching out to them.

JF: Excited to read it; know it's been worked on for some time.

+1 :-)

Janina: *thinks the last publishing/review was ~5yrs ago* It's a good time for another wide review, and it will be a useful document.

Lisa: Now COGA is seeking CfC to publish it and go to wide review stage. Then it will be sent to many groups (including EO) for furtther comment and review.
... *has got a lot of useful feedback when presenting the document as part of talks etc.; good feedback from ATOS, Google, etc.*

JF: +1. There's a lot to read, so wide review will be good. Urgest COGA to ask EO as early as possible.

Lisa: *notes current CfC is just for APA to publish, with further review/input to come soon after*

Irfan: targeting end of June to publish Pronunciation technical document ~end of June. The moving to WICG.
... two technical approaches; attribute model (from TextHelp) already has implementation.

<Joshue108> https://github.com/w3c/apa/issues/83

<Joshue108> 4.4 Immersive personalisation #83

Janina: Personalization and Research Questions: the [above-linked] related issue was contributed to the XAUR recently.

W3C Web Redesign

<janina> Lisa, we lost your audio

Lisa: *has sent some use cases along*

Color and Visual Contrast on our Github Dashboard http://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/actions/2252

TPAC 2020 Planning Discussion

Janina: We are planning to have TPAC, in-person or virtually. The questions are the same: who do we need to talk to; what do we need to talk to them about and how much time do we need for the discussion?
... *asks APA as a whole to consider the above questions*
... One thing to discuss: there are sub knowledge domains vs. knowledge domains e.g. different types of Chemistry have symbols that have different meanings, depending on which area of chemistry one considers. Something important to bear in mind when defining lexicons.
... Another topic: FAST updates.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> https://html.spec.whatwg.org/review-drafts/2020-01/

This was nominally assigned to me (update forthcoming in future section).

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

<janina> scribe: janina

matthew: Has looked at identified a11y prs and not found issues
... will continue at the remaining commits. Don't seem to be as many as last time
... will focus on a11y identified items first--about ten of those

Issues Dashboard https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5464

<Matthew_Atkinson> This was an issue that I thought _may_ warrant a note in the spec to let content authors know that screen reader users could encounter a problem. I am inclined to leave it to the WHATWG accessibility team to decide if it's apt for the spec.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Hoping that some in the WHATWG accessibility team (knowing the spec more than I) may mention either way.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: would be nice to get an opinion; not sure if it's urgent.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Michael: suggests tracking it, but not making it blocking.

<Matthew_Atkinson> Janina: *agrees*

<Matthew_Atkinson> +1

<LisaSeemanKest> need to step away. thank you all

<Matthew_Atkinson> Michael: TTML comments - several accessibility-related were filed. Gottfried provided some feedback.

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

Other Business

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/04/29 16:47:56 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, becky, Matthew_Atkinson, irfan, Joshue, present, LisaSeemanKest, Rachael_, JF
Present: janina Joanmarie_Diggs MichaelC becky Matthew_Atkinson irfan Joshue present LisaSeemanKest Rachael_ JF Joshue108
Regrets: Becky Gottfried
Found Scribe: Matthew_Atkinson
Inferring ScribeNick: Matthew_Atkinson
Found Scribe: janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Scribes: Matthew_Atkinson, janina
ScribeNicks: Matthew_Atkinson, janina
Found Date: 29 Apr 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]