Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

22 Apr 2020


janina, Matthew_Atkinson, irfan, becky, Joanmarie_Diggs, Joshue108, LisaSeemanKest
Gottfried, Christos


<LisaSeemanKest> +present

<LisaSeemanKest> might need to leave early today. exhausted

<irfan> connection problems with zoom

<scribe> scribe: becky

Agenda Review & Announcements

Janina: stock agenda, request for additions or tweaks? None; Any news?

Lisa: next week hoping to bring new wide review draft from COGA and personalization TF is also making progress; COGA new info includes 4 things to do to make sure people with cognitive disabilities get and understand the COVID information being shared

Janina: we are discussing COGA on this call next week, is there anything we should review before then?

Lisa: no need, we will try to send it out on Tuesday there are still some updates

TPAC 2020 Planning Begins

Janina: no need to dive into today - other topics have priority; Need to start thinking about our agenda - whether it is virtual or inperson; if virtual it may extend beyond a week; looking for task forces to bring forth topics for discussion, who should be involved (groups and people), time needed, and what is expected to be gained
... deadline of May 13 to pull this all together

Color and Visual Contrast on our Github Dashboard

JF: have started on working on this, ran out of time - a bit more complicated than expected still working on this

Janina: we discussed this some last week; we have been invited into process; W3C has contracted with Studio24 to redesign W3C website; we need to help make sure it is fully accessible
... currently describing who uses w3c - there are personas being created; must include professional people with disabilities into these personas
... would like to divide this up today to work on updating the personas; looking to Leonie for guidance

Leonie: apologize for not mentioning this to APA previously - thought you were already involved
... project is enormous - website is sprawling and complicated and often undocumented. Project is currently constrained to the marketing parts of the website; will expand out later
... project intended to last about 1 year; has been a bit delayed; trying to do the work in the open; personas and user stories are on a public wiki - have asked for public participation
... Coralie Mercier is coordinating the user stories project; has submitted user stories for most of the W3C website users
... includes a really extensive target audience; there are skeleton user stories and personas on the wiki; have stressed the need for including PWD
... want to mix people with disabilities into the existing users - don't create PWD only personas
... next step is to expand out the skeleton stories

Janina: you think it would be best to sprinkle the user stories into the existing users and include multiple disabilities
... where would be include the managers like the woman from MS with hearing disabilities?

Leonie: perhaps web users?
... I did update the web developer one - suggested that this user have dyslexia and update with being ability to ready

<janina> ~ack l

Lisa: we can certainly add WG member with traumatic brain injury and chair who has other issues; we need to include people who want to improve inclusion for various PWD - rewrite instructions for people, work with the aging, etc

Janina: asks Lisa to write some of these - deadline is end of next week

Leonie: will be difficult to ask for an extension

Janina: necessary links should be in the agenda

Leonie: I don't think content will undergo major rewrites

Lisa: would like to include document making content more accessible for people with cognitive disabilities and Athena info

Janina: good idea but we need to focus on the persona deadline; want to get APA access to a beta so we can participate

Leonie: should be possible - project is supposed to be run in the open
... best way to get info about writing documents for people with cognitive issues is to get them included in the personas

Janina: who else can take on working on the personas?

becky: looking for a template for the personas? spell out the disability or just include the user needs

<Matthew_Atkinson> I think this may be the page you're after on the Wiki, for the user stories: https://www.w3.org/wiki/2020_website_redesign/users

Leonie: format is on the wiki, they are not detailed personas; more from the point of view of user stories; written in the first person - describe what they want to do and why; example: I am a WG chair who is blind and I want to be able to access and contribute to documents using my screen reader
... thumbnail sketches

Lisa: I can log into the website design wiki but I can't edit

Leonie: send to team-website-redesign@w3.org

Lisa: yes that info is at the top of the page

Leonie: if you use slack there is a slack space that is open to everyone interested and there is a channel for this project
... is not critical to the project

<Joshue108> https://w3ccommunity.slack.com

Leonie: but available if people use it

<LisaSeemanKest> i think i will go eat supper

Janina: we just need to look around the community for examples of PWD who are already involved and add those details; there should be no objections to adding the details

Josh: is really good to come up with user stories and then adding the requirements for people with disabilities into those rather than creating specific stories

Leonie: just make sure to distribute additional requirements throughout the user stories

JF: do we have language in the contract that website has to be WCAG 2.1 AA compliant

Leonie: yes, I made if very specific that must meet WCAG

Lisa: can we ask to include the content usable guidance in the requirements for the website

<Joshue108> Is there a URI for the Content Usable docs Lisa?

Leonie: I don't believe content revision is a major part of this redesign - likely too late to add more requirements

Lisa: have an iteration of the content usable docs coming out next week

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Getting_started

W3C Web Redesign

Task Force Updates

Janina: not sure there is anything more to add

MC: no new items this week

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

MC: CSS box model level 4; we should have level 3 under review

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/TR/css-box-4/

Issues Dashboard https://w3c.github.io/horizontal-issue-tracker/?repo=w3c/a11y-review

Janina: do we have any new horizontal review items?

MC: TTML comments - group provided input with questions back to us; Gottfreid has responded
... 5 issues pending; asked Patrick Lauke for input on visual/high contrast
... picture in picture - we are tracking
... pause before should not apply in most contexts - we are tracking

<MichaelC> https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/4870

MC: 2 from HTML - more clearly distinguish authoring conformance requirements

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5461

Becky: I started to look at some of the HTML ones and it was hard to find the actual place where the change was made

Matthew: it depends on what type of changes, sometimes it include the diff for the pull requests; but the issues are generally more open format

Janina: reasonable complaint - perhaps put a comment asking for links to be put into issues so don;t have to search through long spec

<MichaelC> https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/5426

MC: we decided we want to track the issue on dark mode color scheme

Janina: thanks all for a really useful call!

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/04/22 17:01:22 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Coraliea/Coralie Mercier/
Succeeded: s/MS/MC/
Present: janina Matthew_Atkinson irfan becky Joanmarie_Diggs Joshue108 LisaSeemanKest
Regrets: Gottfried Christos
Found Scribe: becky
Inferring ScribeNick: becky
Found Date: 22 Apr 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]