12 Feb 2020


Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Daniel_Peintner, David_Ezell, Ege_Korkan, Kunihiko_Toumura, Michael_Lagally, Michael_McCool, Tomoaki_Mizushima


<kaz> scribenick: McCool

<sebastian> https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/Marketing_WebConf#Agenda

Previous minutes

Sebastian: any objections to publishing minutes from 6 Feb 2020?

<sebastian> https://www.w3.org/2020/02/06-wot-marketing-minutes.html

Sebastian: also added "building iot" talk to main event log
... no objections, making minutes public

Web page status

Sebastian: created PR for some updates; and there is a second one
... other PR is another entry for an implementation
... for the node-RED node generator
... links to both node-RED and nodegen sites
... any objections to merge?
... none; merging

Daniel: note there may be a delay until github updates the web page after updates like this

Sebastian: also adding PR to add some content for a short introduction about what WoT is
... principles and technology building blocks
... but in a very short form
... this is just a starting point
... needs to be as simple as possible
... it could also use some figures
... and should also add links to specs
... and other documents

McCool: could also take diagrams from https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/PRESENTATIONS/2020-02-WoT-Status.pptx

Lagally: to confirm we won't "publish" until we discuss in main call, right?

Sebastian: right; but the marketing repo will have the draft

Lagally: ok, just confirming
... I also think we need some use cases...

Sebastian: can you make a PR?

McCool: I suggest we at least take the use case overview diagram

Lagally: we need to give people an idea of where it can be used

Sebastian: yes

McCool: I'd like to suggest for use cases that we just need a few bullet points of some applications

Sebastian: ok to merge and work on it?

Lagally: if I'm adding a couple of bullet points, let's keep it open, I can add as review comments

Sebastian: ok

<sebastian> https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/pull/22

Daniel: integrate twitter feed from w3c; but we discussed having a dedicated WoT twitter feed

<ege> https://github.com/w3c/wot-marketing/issues/17

Kaz: got an action item last week to ask CSS about their experience with twitter, and now am asking them

<kaz> (fyi, Kaz is asking the JSON-LD guys about their experience on wikipedia article as well)

Sebastian: has anyone thought further about the slide set?
... some people wanted to look at alternative approaches
... I think we should think about presentations for each context
... the status presentation I mentioned above should maybe be moved over
... idea of the getting started pres is that we should perhaps turn it into a video
... I think we should set the context using a use case?
... but don't necessarily want to tie to industry context

McCool: ok, but we have to be careful to establish its use in a professional context (eg not hobbyists, etc)

Kaz: regarding video, etc. should probably talk with marcomm
... regarding content, I think the slides are good
... but I'm wondering if a web-comic on the page itself rather than a link to powerpoint?

Sebastian: my thought is that would be one main page?

Kaz: we could add a column for a web-comic on the left side or the right side of the page

McCool: I'm thinking comic can show the high-level developer journey, but should link at each stage to more detailed tutorials for each step
... and maybe more explicitly structure around developer journey

Kaz: yes, that's a possible structure

<scribe> ACTION: McCool to look into existing materials for developer journey jennifer mentioned the playstation tutorials

McCool: let me create a PR for a "journey.md" file to capture this

Kaz: need to capture references like our expected wikipedia article for the beginners page

Press release and testimonials

Sebastian: have good news, got statement from Seimens
... will share the text with you, but don't want to publish it publically for now

Lagally: working on testimonial

Sebastian: testimonial from Japan would also be useful

Kaz: Japanese Members are working on that
... we can ask Toumura-san from Hitachi and Mizushima-san from IRI about their status for today

Sebastian: would also be good to have mozilla

McCool: alan bird is talking to mozilla; I will follow up
... or rather, will be talking to wendy to figure out a strategy

Kaz: I will talk to them as well to see what we can do
... is it ok to send the Siemens message to the WoT WG Member's list?
... and then will remove the copied text from the minutes

Sebastian: ok

Twitter account

Sebastian: already did this

<inserted> (kaz is also asking the CSS guys about their twitter account)


Sebastian: I was asked to make a blog post...
... also submit proposals to present at conferences, etc.

McCool: we need both volunteers to create content and places to publish them

Sebastian: also, does not have to be in english

McCool: we should also capture links to all publications somewhere, say in a "publications.md" file

Sebastian: any other ideas? venues, places we can ask?

McCool: I assume we are looking for places that will invite us, and get them to invite us
... maybe we can make a list of places where we can post

Ege: we could post under Medium, for example
... and then it's just a matter of getting developers to read it and share it

Sebastian: also a lot of maker-scene things we can publish in

Ege: like instructables, etc?

McCool: we should be careful about maker places; don't want to be seen as just for hobbyists, etc.
... but I like the Medium idea

Sebastian: youtube might also be a possibility

McCool: videos have two problems; hard to index/search, hard to skim, cut code from, etc.
... so I think videos should be paired with written text


Sebastian: still waiting for alan's input?

Kaz: also talking still to json-ld guys about their experience

All other business?

Sebastian: anything else?


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: McCool to look into existing materials for developer journey jennifer mentioned the playstation tutorials

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/02/17 08:21:38 $