Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

12 Feb 2020


janina, Matthew_Atkinson, becka11y, JF, MichaelC, irfan


<scribe> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson

Agenda Review & Announcements

Task Force Updates -- Upcoming Publications

Janina: Upcoming work based on that being done in COGA about distinguishing descriptions of videos for people who're blind from descriptions for people with cognitive access needs.
... may need to suggest enhancements to HTML to support this.

JF: *Asks about the process to use for making requests of HTML*

Janina: Pronounciation and Personalization have upcoming work that may result in enhancement requests for HTML.
... Personalization TF is in final stages of prep for CR.
... Pronounciation should be able to publish before CSUN.
... *Suggests going to WICG with the Pronounciation explainer and seek input on the spec*
... RQTF XAUR FPWD is imminent. WebRTC is progressing well.

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Community Groups Tracking Review https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Community_Groups

JF: Summary of foray into "Bullet Chatting": this is something that can be done on places like Facebook. When things like likes are overlaid on top of the scren. This is an overlay that renders text/images on top of a video. The idea is to provide real-time comments whilst the video is playing.
... Questions include: where should the focus go when this extra content is appearing above the video, but the user may be wanting to interact with the video controls and other descriptive channels.
... Bullet chatting is popular in Asia-Pacific countries.
... There are a lot of accessibility concerns that need addressing as part of standardization.

Janina: *seeks feedback on 2020 APA priorities*

New Charters Review https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Michael: upcoming workshop on bundling interactive media content on the web [review upcoming].
... Maps for the web - should we review?

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> CSS Scroll Anchoring Module Level 1

Michael: This seems accessibility-positive - no need to review.

<MichaelC> Resize Observer

(general agreement from group wrt scroll anchoring)

Janina & Michael: this also seems accessibility-positive (maybe could be misused, but generally positive).

Michael: If we come up with potential pitfalls, we could pursue an accessibility impact statement, but perhaps this is best done later if needed.

Janina: let's come back to this in e.g. six months.

<MichaelC> ACTION: cooper to ping review of Resize Observer - due 6 months

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2236 - Ping review of resize observer [on Michael Cooper - due 2020-08-12].

Janina: could be related to AGWG work?

<MichaelC> action-2236: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Resize_Observer

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2236 Ping review of resize observer.

<MichaelC> http://w3c.github.io/apa/xaur/

Matthew: Got a helpful email back from a member of the Immersive Web WG, Klaus, who confirmed our view that the Gamepads Module is not accessibility-relevant. I will reply to ACK this confirmation and the great ideas Klaus presented about accessible XR input in future. Will send URI of XAUR Editors' Draft.

Klaus' email: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2020Feb/0008.html

Josh: *will follow up on the thread tomorrow*

<janina> I dropped, but we're done. Bon voyage, Michael! We're adjourned.

<janina> I think we're done?

<janina> Thanks, John!

<janina> Thanks!

<janina> Thanks, Matthew, for scribing!

I'm OK to wrap up if we're done, yep.

<janina> Yes, we're done!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: cooper to ping review of Resize Observer - due 6 months

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/02/12 17:55:48 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/will reply with the ACK and info for Klaus/will follow up on the thread tomorrow/
Present: janina Matthew_Atkinson becka11y JF MichaelC irfan
Regrets: gottfried
Found Scribe: Matthew_Atkinson
Inferring ScribeNick: Matthew_Atkinson
Found Date: 12 Feb 2020
People with action items: cooper

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]