Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

30 Jan 2020


Jennie, stevelee, MichaelC, Rachael, Fazio, kirkwood, JustineP, JohnRochford, stevelee_, LisaSeemanKest, johnkirkwood
EA, John_Rochford, Rachael
JustineP, Jennie


<LisaSeemanKest> agenda

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y_HOyuMKltOQoZr0Gk7hMQXi3Jd8Mc5fyr-XkH7kZQY/edit#heading=h.8h5xei6fw2my

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Scribe_list

<JustineP> scribe: JustineP

<LisaSeemanKest> scribe: JustineP

actions https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Actions

Lisa: user stories against personas, Steve?

Stevelee: Added patterns to the list.

Lisa: Next action, mental health issue paper

My call dropped. I will dial back in.

can someone scribe for a moment?

<Jennie> scribe: Jennie

I have not completed this yet

Lisa: Jennie, please review this week.


<JustineP> thank you, Jennie! I am back and will take over.

<JustineP> scribe: JustineP

<Jennie> Lisa: Justine is working on a new section of the policy section

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rZss28td0Kyf70CEubbu-slin7CkftA7Vn_h28Hnwi0/edit

<Jennie> * Jennie No problem Justine!

Lisa: some comments have been inserted so far into the policy section
... Any support needed in WCAG work?

Jennie: Finding Help SC was on this week's agenda but group could not discuss. Will verify that it will be on next week's agenda.
... working with others to address feedback received in survey to-date.

<Jennie> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fX4Iw169OGUny5RTd70S8qAneYy5e0hr7zupE21gPBM/edit

Jennie: First area of SC, working to maintain essential components in order to push through
... reduce commentary on ways to solve.

Steve: Agree with status.

Abi: Visual Indicators SC looks like it will not make it into 2.1 and will be deferred to Silver.

Lisa: Is that decision final?

Abi: Not final. We do need a lot of examples, data, patterns, etc.
... people feel that this could be accomplished through personalization but there is some concern about challenges with mobile devices.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/WCAG_2.2_Success_Criteria_Groups

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11IKqjRFvkRd2dAfUiyc5whhB3yIYXvSiirWct7KQIB0/edit#gid=0

Stevelee: So many examples needed that timeframe is very tight.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WhZAbswvPHs7A3stfqM_ATsaBHPeGbHtARcmaKMck1U/edit?usp=sharing

Lisa: We should reach out to David MacDonald to see if he could use our assistance.
... maybe we should consider a followup discussion.

Abi: SC has two alternative wordings currently.

Lisa: both versions are the same

Abi: personalization is much more difficult on touch screens, difficult to identify if an object is interactive.
... if we push into 2.2 we might end up with an SC that doesn't really address use case

<johnkirkwood> very good point

Jennie: One concern was if the rigor needed to support personalization is not available it would put at risk.

Lisa: Would prefer not to defer to Silver unless absolutely necessary.
... if alternative wording make it easier to get in the SC. If it puts us at risk we need to understand why and how to address.
... is an ongoing usability problem. I will follow up with David MacDonald.

<abi> Spreadsheet for collating examples of visual indicators https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1fw8C-uHkPzI9IH4wWXdzjRmyfxTHNIYX3vk62Xsph4M%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing&data=01%7C01%7Cabi.james%40abilitynet.org.uk%7C03e42e1992cd4be73dd808d7a59844e0%7C5bd8c13f5e45437d8fc3cfc2466065f9%7C0&sdata=UV%2B6SK1dV%2BuWlXm5JIEhUytbjatpTdll30qT7M1%2BlWI%3D&reserved=0

<abi> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fw8C-uHkPzI9IH4wWXdzjRmyfxTHNIYX3vk62Xsph4M/edit

Abi: It is still moving along. Will need to add examples into the file.

Lisa: I watch people press an icon and the icon is not the interactive area. It is a problem.
... if there is a risk we should work to mitigate.

Jennie: Understanding context of the feedback we received will help as we are searching for examples.
... if survey results are still available that context would be helpful to us.

new paterns edits and updates https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xmmQkuZLEG014zDRVkgr3QLyINb7BNvWxqL7POn6Ei8/edit#

Stevelee: I am searching for link to share.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k0QpMa2XKB4UIEJKjL98y7Dw7vcbtC41skRmrexGs6M/edit#heading=h.qqgz8tvr0tyj

Lisa: two patterns from the mental health paper have been edited into existing patterns
... added text in 7 to inform user of risk in plain language

Stevelee: I would personally like to be told what the risk is to determine if it applies to me.

Lisa: In text, we are informing user of risk and letting them decide.
... does anyone want to write text regarding pattern with trigger sensitivity?
... we want to warn people before they get to that content so that they can avoid it.
... this affects all types of content. Any volunteers to write text?
... PTSD is the main focus for the trigger sensitivity text.
... I will write if necessary but needs to be written within the next week.

<Jennie> Visual indicators status from WCAG minutes 1/7/2020: 1 concern was plugins don't work on mobile (fallback option discussed earlier), another on testability. Need examples with screenshots that pass/fail, have good and bad examples any why they would or not pass. one column of screenshots. Status: leave open. (Jennie: my apologies, it was not a concern on personalization)

Lisa: for personas, let's go through and edit into existing text.

Stevelee: horizontal scrolling was a problem since people got lost.

Abi: WCAG 2.1 focuses on 400% zoom

Stevelee: Let's check that these are cognitive requirements rather than "nice to haves"

Lisa: Only new pattern is the trigger sensitivity

<Jennie> Visual indicators status from WCAG minutes 1/7/2020: 1 concern was plugins don't work on mobile (fallback option discussed earlier), another on testability. Need examples with screenshots that pass/fail, have good and bad examples any why they would or not pass. one column of screenshots. Status: leave open. (Jennie: my apologies, it was not a concern on personalization)

Jennie: Pasted in IRC status from last meeting. Concern was focus on plugins and mobile.

new wiki pages

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Actions

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Todo_lists

Lisa: On planning page, I've added a "to do" list for smaller activities.
... next, added a language guide with information about audience, sentence length, etc.
... for editorial work, considerations that apply while editing documents.

<kirkwood> There is a difference between the UK and US on terms are we standardizing?

Lisa: also looking at standardizing terminology

<kirkwood> That is correct.

Lisa: Is everyone comfortable with the new pages? And comfortable with terminology around impairment and disability?

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Coga_terms_langauge_guide

Jennie: Where is the list that you're referencing?

Lisa: This is a terms and language guide for editors.

<kirkwood> yes well said.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Scribe_list

Lisa: the other page is a scribe list and I've added the names of people. Would people prefer to add themselves instead?

Stevelee: Some groups have a list of names that rotate.

<kirkwood> ok with me

Lisa: If you don't want to/can't scribe please contact me. Or you can edit the page and take your name out.
... what do people prefer?

Jennie: List is helpful. Week of CSUN attendance is questionable.

Lisa: Let us know if you can't make your assigned week.

Mental health paper https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G9SJSiAT-SYDVNxBfwOe7A6VPqsmX4Ua0QT7-NrfQTA/edit#heading=h.uf4tmgrjcioj

Lisa: Content Usable -- other sections need editing.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rZss28td0Kyf70CEubbu-slin7CkftA7Vn_h28Hnwi0/edit#

Lisa: Justine edited section 6.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#guidance_for_policy_makers

Justine: edits focused on non-technical guidance and an overhaul of the table

Lisa: is table useful or keep patterns as an appendix? Is there more to say about making a policy?
... clear design does require user testing?

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#guidance_for_policy_makers

Jennie: Consider adding legal documents into the list of scenarios (e.g., consent forms targeting guardians of people with disabilities)

Lisa: we might cover elsewhere/address with tips. Jennie, would you like to review this section and see what needs to be added?

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/Developer_resources

Jennie, that was a great point you made.

Jennie: One question that arises is the ability to live in your own apartment. Signing forms and understanding responsibility as a renter is a legal component.
... would like to see this kind of issue addressed in policy section regarding legal issues.

Lisa: We should have a sentence that mentions that when working with people with particular disabilities additional considerations apply...etc.

Jennie: Will draft sentence and share with Justine.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-usable/#differences_testing

Lisa: Do you also want to look at 4.1?

<kirkwood> I may be able to get some input for that as well.

Jennie: Depends on the timeline.
... can review in next 2 weeks.
... let me know if anyone else wants to take a section of Content Usable that could use a rewrite.

*last was Lisa

RRSAgend, drat minutes

RSSAgent, draft minutes

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/01/30 16:04:54 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: Jennie, stevelee, MichaelC, Rachael, Fazio, kirkwood, JustineP, JohnRochford, stevelee_, LisaSeemanKest, johnkirkwood
Present: Jennie stevelee MichaelC Rachael Fazio kirkwood JustineP JohnRochford stevelee_ LisaSeemanKest johnkirkwood
Regrets: EA John_Rochford Rachael
Found Scribe: JustineP
Found Scribe: JustineP
Inferring ScribeNick: JustineP
Found Scribe: Jennie
Inferring ScribeNick: Jennie
Found Scribe: JustineP
Inferring ScribeNick: JustineP
Scribes: JustineP, Jennie
ScribeNicks: JustineP, Jennie

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 30 Jan 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]