Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

23 Jan 2020


stevelee_, JustineP, Jennie, MichaelC, JohnRochford, Rachael, Fazio, kirkwood


<LisaSeemanKest> scribe: stevelee_

updates do we need muinit log correct

Lisa: the minute log page is not updated

<Jennie> +1

is it felt to be important

<Jennie> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/

steve: roy says it is manual and he is happy to do. I Suggest we start a new list on wiki

<JustineP> Agree, Jennie

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/minutes

jennie: the page https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/ has a link to a very out of date page

michael: been meaning to automate it and would benefit other groups so will treat this as a reminder

<Jennie> Thank you!

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/#communication

actions https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/coga/wiki/PlanningPage#Actions

Lisa: can do on wiki until Roy is back or Michael done

<Fazio> I did mine

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G9SJSiAT-SYDVNxBfwOe7A6VPqsmX4Ua0QT7-NrfQTA/edit#heading=h.uf4tmgrjcioj

<kirkwood> i put some comments/reviewed

<kirkwood> yes me too

steve has not review ed personas for missing patterns

<kirkwood> I can do more today too

steve: have done for mental health

lisa: lets cover mental healt hlather in meeting and maybe do another pass
... Rachael and I have reviewed personas. Wee could do with someone (professional) to do the Mental health one fo

<Jennie> My apologies - ran out of time

lisa: i did a brief review on policy from justine

<JustineP> https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1rZss28td0Kyf70CEubbu-slin7CkftA7Vn_h28Hnwi0%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing&data=02%7C01%7Cjpascalides%40ets.org%7Ca206025040324a75df6c08d79a979067%7C0ba6e9b760b34fae92f37e6ddd9e9b65%7C0%7C0%7C637147848078601387&sdata=gluxHW8754NF6HT28yMd5p0dvBOLf9oMGbmF4J6v4RM%3D&reserved=0

lisa: rachael is going to do an editorial pass and will fix spelling mistakes etc

<Rachael> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k0QpMa2XKB4UIEJKjL98y7Dw7vcbtC41skRmrexGs6M/edit#heading=h.3zq1f6jimv5e

Rachael: there are open questions on the login pattern, should we disucss now?

Jennie: didn't update as it looked like someone else had.

steve: there are comments in the document - should they be dealth wit hby the group

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/17win0Z-d_wVdMHCZqHG2N4ExdhknaU6DpJmABR-F-58/edit

rachael: I think so as I can only do simple things in editorial pass

lisa: make a table of contents for the personas document so easier to add quotes.
... also added 3 example quotes

<Jennie> https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/new-in-21/

<Rachael> I used to love shopping but I so often run into people wearing perfume or fragrances near the checkouts that I've given up shopping in stores and only shop online now.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/new-in-21/#about-the-personas-quotes

<LisaSeemanKest> My address is so complicated. There's lots of numbers and long words. It's hard to type it all without making mistakes. Works well: I love websites that can automatically fill it all in for me. Then I don't have to work so hard to get the numbers and spelling right. Note: This works because the fi

<kirkwood> yes think that is good re: problem/solution

<Jennie> I like the lead in part too

<Rachael> sample quote (different topic): I used to love shopping but I so often run into people wearing perfume or fragrances near the checkouts that I've given up shopping in stores and only shop online now.

rachael: I also added example but think Jennies are better, here it is



<Fazio> I had a conference call with Intel’s accessibility team yesterday. They reiterated how helpful the WCAG 2.1 personas were

<LisaSeemanKest> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2020Jan/0051.html

<Fazio> I’d just they that’s a good benchmark for us to use

<LisaSeemanKest> fantastic

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DPtCqWHjrhj3QZ4afsqzmWDd-zMSf39RsMqSpR2QGCg/edit#heading=h.ej41yvbs80dk

lisa: reviews agenda, are most import important controls and new patterns?

<kirkwood> no answer ;)

all: agreed to drop Silver

important controls https://raw.githack.com/w3c/silver/conformance-js-dec/guidelines/explainers/ClearWords.html

<Rachael> This is the current SC text: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DPtCqWHjrhj3QZ4afsqzmWDd-zMSf39RsMqSpR2QGCg/edit

<Rachael> For controls needed to progress or complete a process, at least one of the following is true: The controls are persistently visible A mechanism is available to make the controls persistently visible The control can be programmatically determined as being important except when: The equivalent control is persistent elsewhere on the same page The controls overlap media content

rachael: has had many names

<Fazio> How soon do we need the research

rachael: are stuck need research - that controls that only appear with hover may be there to reduce interface problems?

lisa: can w add an exception for when there are more than 3? That there instructions

<Fazio> +1

lisa: in the patterns we have criteria from important controls

<LisaSeemanKest> The most important tasks and features are:

<LisaSeemanKest> The three tasks the users want to perform

<LisaSeemanKest> The three most common tasks (from the users perspective)

<LisaSeemanKest> Tasks that affect the users health or wellbeing

<LisaSeemanKest> Usage data can normally identify the most common tasks. Focus groups and surveys are also useful for identifying what the users want

<Fazio> I’m chairing some COGA research for UNESCO

<LisaSeemanKest> cool!

<Fazio> but it’ll take till September tho

jennie: I was think as they discussed that if app has 2 ways, toolbars and ribbon, say there are more uses cases so not sure if usecase are required more than "research"

<Fazio> I was going to send out the call for papers to our TF to see if there was a focus we would like to nick down

rachael: use cases will help support but may have wanted more research given 1 month turn around use cases and exception may be most apropriated

<Jennie> ack "essential"

<LisaSeemanKest> ack "

<kirkwood> can we simply say (visual) notification that there are hidden controls?

david: are doing some UNESCO research but will not land till Sept.

<kirkwood> I’d be available Monday too

lisa: lets set up a meeting on Monday to cover this issue

<Jennie> Sorry, I'm only available Monday between 11 and 3 central time

<LisaSeemanKest> ack ”essential”

david: intel collegue would be interested in reviewing our work. Is that OK?

Steve: SCs go to wide review as part of process. other stuff is public (eg on git hub) but might be too early.

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DPtCqWHjrhj3QZ4afsqzmWDd-zMSf39RsMqSpR2QGCg/edit#heading=h.ej41yvbs80dk

<LisaSeemanKest> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k0QpMa2XKB4UIEJKjL98y7Dw7vcbtC41skRmrexGs6M/edit#

<Fazio> Audio?

lisa: we will add notes on whether for audio, video or content as a pass through the patterns

<kirkwood> its gallons!

<Jennie> Unit can also be different based on the topic.

<JustineP> I like that we've addressed security with that revision.

<Jennie> Can we add that scoping statement to this?

jennie: scoping of types of login my help those working in security understand better

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2020/01/23 16:05:40 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/UNESC/UNESCO/
Present: stevelee_ JustineP Jennie MichaelC JohnRochford Rachael Fazio kirkwood
Found Scribe: stevelee_
Inferring ScribeNick: stevelee_

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 23 Jan 2020
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]