Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

29 Aug 2019



addison, atsushi, r12a, xfq
david, jck, Bert
Addison Phillips


trackbot, prepare teleconference

<agendabot> clear agenda

<scribe> scribenick: addison

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items




<trackbot> action-804 -- Richard Ishida to Examine our issue 96 and css 3754 and ensure we can close or reopen if necessary -- due 2019-05-23 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/804

richard: think we just wait and see if anything

close action-804

<trackbot> Closed action-804.


<trackbot> action-813 -- Richard Ishida to Update and submit 607 to whatwg (email addresses) -- due 2019-07-18 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/813

close action-813

<trackbot> Closed action-813.

need to deal with eventually


<trackbot> action-818 -- Addison Phillips to Set up tpac2019 agenda wiki -- due 2019-08-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/818


<trackbot> action-819 -- Richard Ishida to Publish "internationalization tips for linking to headers and figures" -- due 2019-08-22 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/819

close action-819

<trackbot> Closed action-819.

Info Share

<r12a> https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

richard: new label here for "advice requests"
... css currently has label "need i18n help"
... should cover some next week
... print a list of advice requested issues, but script not working currently
... if css or other groups use a label like this

<r12a> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2019Aug/0022.html

TPAC Agenda: https://www.w3.org/wiki/I18N_2019_TPAC

richard: have a session some time to talk to process for horizontal reviews folks
... possibly in our meeting time in TPAC

RADAR and Active Work Review


Review process

<r12a> https://github.com/w3c/charter-drafts/issues/219

richard: long discussion about when horizontal should occur
... another thread about process


<r12a> in an ideal world, i18n folks would work on each WG throughout the whole spec development process. We don’t have the bandwidth for that, so i’m proposing the following.

<r12a> - [ ] WGs do self-reviews, starting at FPWD but also at other points during the spec development process, and HR groups work on improving the review checklists and explanations

<r12a> - [ ] WGs appoint HR champions to ensure that contacts with HR groups happen at appropriate points

<r12a> - [ ] WG asks HR groups to take a detailed look at their work with plenty of time to make changes: this should not be the ‘finalised’ spec, but should not be too early either - the ideal is typically to engage HR 3 months before CR

<r12a> - [ ] WG can also ask advice of HR group at any time if they know there are likely to be HR implications to aspects of their spec

<r12a> - [ ] after the main review, the WG should communicate with HR about any significant changes they make to the spec that were not tracked already as a result of the review

<r12a> - [ ] before proceeding to CR, WGs must indicate resolutions and whether the HR group is satisfied for all issues raised by the HR groups on their spec, and the Director must check those issues

<atsushi> L1

<atsushi> +1

<scribe> ACTION: richard: create the horizontal review bill of rights in wiki

<trackbot> Created ACTION-820 - Create the horizontal review bill of rights in wiki [on Richard Ishida - due 2019-09-05].

<scribe> ACTION: addison: contact leonie about HR and discussing HR at TPAC

<trackbot> Created ACTION-821 - Contact leonie about hr and discussing hr at tpac [on Addison Phillips - due 2019-09-05].


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: addison: contact leonie about HR and discussing HR at TPAC
[NEW] ACTION: richard: create the horizontal review bill of rights in wiki

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/08/29 18:23:20 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/CSS charter/Review process/
Default Present: addison, atsushi, r12a, xfq
Present: addison atsushi r12a xfq
Regrets: david jck Bert
Found ScribeNick: addison
Inferring Scribes: addison
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2019Aug/0020.html
Found Date: 29 Aug 2019
People with action items: addison richard

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]