Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

19 Jun 2019


Joanmarie_Diggs, Matthew_Atkinson, janina, Irfan, MichaelC, Joshue, Gottfried, Joshue108


<janina> scribe: Matthew_Atkinson

Agenda Review & Announcements

JF: Joined a Conversational Interfaces WG call earlier, they are developing an authoring standard for bots.
... This includes animating the bots; accessibility was raised and now they're looking into audio description, alternative text and other possibilites.

Janina: if it's conversational UI, then we need to help users who are D/deaf, hard-of-hearing or may have other disabilities.

JF: Bot output is expected to be captured as a text string, so can be exposed to assistive technologies.
... (gives example of a bot that's a bunny, who is hopping about the screen - the animations need to be described)

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2019Jun/0000.html

Janina: (reminds everyone of Joshue's CFC regarding Web of Things accessibility)

<JF> Email quote from the participant: Accessibility concerns have typically been an after-thought in most systems, and this is one of those rare opportunities to address these guidelines from inception.

Janina: direct accessibility to the graphics in the doc would be good (APA may be able to help)

CAPTCHA Update https://w3c.github.io/apa/captcha/

Janina: RQTF believes this is ready for wide review.
... propose CFC soon; need to run some checks first (e.g. link checker); also need a URI for the CFC.

TPAC 2019 https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Meetings/TPAC_2019

Janina: proposed Sunday for CFC for CAPTCHA doc; no opposition in group.
... TPAC early-bird deadline is this Friday
... Meeting with DPUB on Monday.
... will be working on agenda more soon.
... (aspirationally by July, for joint sessions)

Task Force Updates

Janina: RQTF & Josh are working on WebRTC and WoT.

Irfan: Pronounciation work progressing; further update next week.

Janina: Personalization FPWD progressing. CFC expected soon.

Horizontal reviews https://github.com/w3c/strategy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Horizontal+review+requested%22

Michael: Privacy IG - APA has a deliverable of theirs under review.
... APA would like a liaison statement with the Privacy IG.

Janina: fingerprinting is an issue that we think about a lot, so it would be good to have a liaison with the Privacy IG about this.
... Michael: (looking for feedback/views from APA on this)

Michael: AG WG is open; also Data Models for Transportation (was OK).

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Michael: Janina: we have a CFC running on WoT ThingDescription.

Joshue: would be good for APA to look more at the WoT architecture document.
... (it's currently in CR; takes action to review it)

<Joshue108> ACTION: Josh to review WoT Architecture

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2198 - Review wot architecture [on Joshue O Connor - due 2019-06-26].

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

<MichaelC> action-2198: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Web_of_Things_(WoT)_Architecture

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2198 Review wot architecture.

<MichaelC> action-2198: https://www.w3.org/TR/wot-architecture/

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2198 Review wot architecture.

Janina: are there concerns about tracing: it may be possible to determine that an AT is running, but not necessarily who the user is - though are there other ways to identify users?

Joanie: need to verify that IP addresses are not included in the trace.

JF: People may be connected to the Internet via a different IP over time/location. It is a reasonable point, but there are concerns above and beyond just IP address (as it's not necessarily a stable variable).

Janina: from CAPTCHA research, if someone has a customary IP address, they may still be tracked.

JF: agrees that malicious use of IP addresses is a concern. There are other ways to track and possibly errantly infer user info. Gives example of a screen-reader running on a common computer that changes a system setting, which causes any user of the system to be considered as having a vision impairment.
... Also GPS info may be used to track someone.
... Perhaps we could tag/flag the spec to indicate that there are privacy/security concerns that are implicit and thus implementors need to be aware of the ramifications [open question]?

Michael: Do/can we have a comment we can make to the WG (and maybe others in future) regarding ATs and fingerprinting? Not sure if we have anything we can request on this document right now?

Other Business

Janina, Michael: (will re-read the Tracing spec and get back to the authors as to whether there are any accessibility concerns shortly)

be done

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Josh to review WoT Architecture

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.154 (CVS log)
$Date: 2019/06/19 16:42:44 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.154  of Date: 2018/09/25 16:35:56  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Default Present: Joanmarie_Diggs, Matthew_Atkinson, janina, Irfan, MichaelC, Joshue, Gottfried
Present: Joanmarie_Diggs Matthew_Atkinson janina Irfan MichaelC Joshue Gottfried Joshue108
Found Scribe: Matthew_Atkinson
Inferring ScribeNick: Matthew_Atkinson
Found Date: 19 Jun 2019
People with action items: josh

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]