W3C Advisory Committee Meeting –
Berlin, Germany – May 2018
W3C Marketing & Communications
Coralie Mercier, Head of W3C Marketing & Communications
Most links in this presentation are available to the public, some to W3C Members, a few to W3C team.
W3C MarComm Team
The MarComm team counts 3.4 FTE across 6 individuals:
- Coralie Mercier: 1 FTE (Lead)
- Xueyuan Jia: 1 FTE (Member communications)
- Tanya Mandal (W3C Fellow from Internet Academy): 0.6
FTE (Webdesign TaskForce, Integrated marketing and
- Amy van der Hiel: 0.5 FTE (Media Relations
coordinator, Social media)
- Naomi Yoshizawa: 0.2 FTE (Member testimonials, Integrated
marketing and communications campaigns)
- Bert Bos: 0.1 FTE (Webdesign TaskForce)
W3C Strengths (1)
- W3C's Royalty-Free Patent Policy.
- Patent commitments provide a level-playing field for
- W3C's consensus approach, based on fair
- W3C's escalation process, which evaluates
the merits of different perspectives, incorporating both
technical and process considerations.
- W3C's multi-stakeholder involvement, taking
into account the perspectives of industry, user groups,
research, government, invited experts.
- W3C's neutrality, openness.
W3C Strengths (2)
- W3C's mission of "leading the Web to its full potential"
including web for all ("this is for everyone".)
- W3C Director Tim Berners-Lee is the Web Inventor.
- W3C's reliance on staff with subject
- Built-in i18n, a11y, security & privacy by
- W3C is an ISO PAS submitter (W3C specs at ISO are
- W3C is international: Hosts, Offices, world-wide volunteer
- Communicate positively who we are and what we do for the Web
- Build W3C's influence & improve W3C's reputation.
- Support W3C Business Development recruiting efforts.
- Support W3C Working/Interest Groups operations.
Communications execution of the Process Document)
- W3C is leading the Web to its full potential; as a result:
- Society is impacted by advances in Web
- Industries are moving their business to
- Prospects become part of the
conversation to shape the Web;
- Web Developers see W3C as the venue to
work on Web Standards; therefore...
- ... W3C is leading the Web to its full potential.
W3C needs to reach out and tell our great story to the following
- W3C Members
- Prospect Members
- Developers & Tech community
- Industries & Companies
- Media, Analysts and Industry influencers
- W3C positioning relative to the WHATWG/W3C collaboration plan
- Press release for WCAG 2.1 REC (early June)
- Promotion of I18N sponsorship program / launch of an I18N Inititative?
- Promotion of CSS work
- Marketing agreement for W3C participation at
- TU-Automotive 2018, 6-7 June
- Financial Innovation Payments Summit, 18-20 July
- Press release for Web Payments work reaching REC (around TPAC)
- Member Communications
- Branding, logos
- Fielding enquiries in site-comments, site-policy, membership (shared with busdev)
- AC Meeting, TPAC (branding, agenda, factsheet, scribes, minutes, breakout sessions planning)
- DB maintenance for WGs/IGs
- Certificates to recognize Chair/Editor/TAG/AB
- Press clippings
- Member testimonials
- Internal Communications