DCAT 2018-11-22

21 November 2018

Meeting minutes

<DaveBrowning> regrets Alasdair Gray, Erik Mannens, Thomas D'Haenens, Lars Svensson, Makx

alejandra: comment from @smrgeoinfo on 2PWD
… discussion on identifiers
… also funder

<alejandra> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌issues/‌529

agenda agreed with addition of funders, identifiers

minutes of last meeting https://‌www.w3.org/‌2018/‌11/‌07-dxwgdcat-minutes

<alejandra> +1

<RiccardoAlbertoni> +1

<DaveBrowning> propose: accept minutes of last meeting

0 (not present)

<RiccardoAlbertoni> +1

<DaveBrowning> +1

Resolved: accept minutes of last meeting

open actions


<DaveBrowning> SimonCox: Qualified relations action 125 - wiki page now in use

<DaveBrowning> ... page has examples, perhaps now is thetime to close the action

<DaveBrowning> link is here : https://‌csiro.webex.com/‌csiro/‌j.php?MTID=m7f5ece41d26d5e36c16af8c20faadc15

AndreaPerego: access rights and license need decisionn from WG
… clarify that access rights are for access permissions not use permission

<AndreaPerego> About accessRights, relevant issues are https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌issues/‌160 & https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌issues/‌59

RiccardoAlbertoni: need to maintain consensus

can you summarize the disagreement AndreaPerego ?

AndreaPerego: 3 properties in DC - rights, accessRights, license
… original proposal was based on assumption that these could be cleanly separated
… discovery use-cases complicate this
… particularly if use- and access- are combined in one description
… then there is ODRL capability


<AndreaPerego> Access policies in ODRL: http://‌w3c.github.io/‌poe/‌bp/#example-2-representation-of-access-policies-to-digital-resources

the concern is whether all rights are bundled in one property (possibly structured in an ODRL form), or split across multiple DC properties

AndreaPerego: if bundled makes it difficult to select/filter in discovery scenarios

AndreaPerego: came across this problem when dealing with lawyers

DaveBrowning: has been looking at Google dataset search
… is quite rudimentary. Appears that they are only looking at content of 'license' tag
… often includes access and 'fair use' provisions

<alejandra> they only recommend schema:license - https://‌developers.google.com/‌search/‌docs/‌data-types/‌dataset

DaveBrowning: the legacy will be difficult, in DCAT we can make a _recommendation_ but not necessarily widespread adoption

<DaveBrowning> SimonCox: Getting adoption may be hard, but some will pay attention particularly where its important and understood

<DaveBrowning> ... need to be careful of creating too much nuance

AndreaPerego: proposal was primarily a recommendation for people mmoving forward

<AndreaPerego> OpenAIRE access levels: https://‌guidelines.openaire.eu/‌en/‌latest/‌literature/‌field_accesslevel.html

<AndreaPerego> DCAT-AP access rights: http://‌publications.europa.eu/‌mdr/‌resource/‌authority/‌access-right/‌html/‌access-right-eng.html

AndreaPerego: the distinction bbetween access and use rights really is made by some users now
… people who want to do the right thing do deserve some guidance

Is there a suitable text available?

AndreaPerego: will make a proposal in the issue

RiccardoAlbertoni: will this create a normative provision?

<AndreaPerego> I think it can be kept informative.

RiccardoAlbertoni: informative parts of document are important. Don't need to be 100% sure about guidelines.

AndreaPerego: original DCAT did not provide enough examples and guidelines
… this led to too much diversity!
… in this case we are just clarifying different roles of license and accessRights and why it might be useful for metadata providers to separate the information

DaveBrowning: definitely need more guidance within the DCAT doc

<AndreaPerego> Yep! Thank you

Action: AndreaPerego to draft proposal and add togithub issue

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

Next PWD?

DaveBrowning: need to commit now if we are to achieve this in Nov/Dec

alejandra: do we have enough change?
… very few major issues have been concluded
… target (i) rights/license (ii) identifiers (3 related issues)

AndreaPerego: look at milestone?

<alejandra> https://‌github.com/‌w3c/‌dxwg/‌milestone/‌14

alejandra: will split issues between 3pwd milestone and a final milestone

<alejandra> +1 to Xmas release

DaveBrowning: urges 3pwd before xmas

Action: alejandra to split milestone

<trackbot> Sorry, but no Tracker is associated with this channel.

DaveBrowning: informed decision will be possible in January, when real deadlines will be better known


AndreaPerego: following threads accross the GitHub issues is challenging - lets foccus on the issues in the milestones

All agree to focus on milestone issues

RiccardoAlbertoni: lets try to create agenda with 2 days notice and identify which issues will be actually discussed.
… e.g. next call: do identifiers

RRSAgent: draft minutes v2

RRSAgent: draft minutes v2

Summary of action items

  1. AndreaPerego to draft proposal and add togithub issue
  2. alejandra to split milestone

Summary of resolutions

  1. accept minutes of last meeting
Minutes manually created (not a transcript), formatted by Bert Bos's scribe.perl version 2.49 (2018/09/19 15:29:32), a reimplementation of David Booth's scribe.perl. See CVS log.


Succeeded: s/original proposal was based on ass//

Succeeded: s/original/... original/

Succeeded: s/and/an/

Succeeded: s/iff/if/

Succeeded: s/fileter/filter/

Succeeded: s/MDR access rights/DCAT-AP access rights/

Succeeded: s/sss/s/

Failed: s/infofed/informed/

Succeeded: s/infofmed/informed/