Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

06 Sep 2018



David, JcK, addison, r12a, stpeter, xfq
Addison Phillips


<agendabot> clear agenda

trackbot, prepare teleconference

<scribe> ScribeNick: addison

Agenda and Minutes

Action Items



<trackbot> action-725 -- Richard Ishida to Raise profile of whatwg thread on autocomplete/autocapitalize -- due 2018-06-07 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/725

close action-725

<trackbot> Closed action-725.


<trackbot> action-742 -- Richard Ishida to Look at merging specdev definitions with definitions-characters article -- due 2018-08-09 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/742

close action-742

<trackbot> Closed action-742.


<trackbot> action-749 -- Richard Ishida to Review input-events issue 70 -- due 2018-08-30 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/749

richard: raised an issue about bidi. some labels about text direciton with no description.
... don't have to worry about bidi
... because about key presses
... spec direction of text via a control, such as right click context menu to set writing direction to rtl etc.

close action-749

<trackbot> Closed action-749.


<trackbot> action-751 -- Richard Ishida to Publish updated article definitions-characters -- due 2018-09-06 -- OPEN

<trackbot> https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/751

close action-751

<trackbot> Closed action-751.

Info Share

addison: unicode conference next week, no telecon

<r12a> http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

richard: you all know that we have a tracker for review comments
... in the past you'd click on it and be taken to tracker issue
... and then find link in it to get to the actual issue
... now when you click on the issue you go directly to the issue
... same applies to layout tracker

<r12a> http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/textlayout/

richard: in the process of converting sort keys so you can filter by group rather than language
... started a new jlreq tf
... the former one is dead, long live the new one
... some subscribers
... going to manga workshop in 1.5 weeks
... hopefully get a lot more participants
... also set up mongolian layout tf
... now definitely set up
... some edits of doc

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/articles/definitions-characters/#characters

richard: saw we published update to character encoding essential concepts
... thanks to fuqiao, adding file to some repos
... if there is a PR
... gets links attached automatically to allow seeing document instead of diff

<xfq> Example: https://github.com/w3c/clreq/pull/186

RADAR and Active Work Review

<xfq> there's a "Preview | Diff"





<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/articles/definitions-characters/#characters

richard: designing forms section has not much in it

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs.en?open=locale

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/authoring-html

stpeter: trying to programmatically determine how to design address input forms

<r12a> https://www.w3.org/International/techniques/authoring-html.en?open=style

addison: some kind of early interaction?

peter: yes, can poke right people

<scribe> ACTION: stpeter: draft email to payments asking about early interaction

<trackbot> Created ACTION-753 - Draft email to payments asking about early interaction [on Peter Saint-Andre - due 2018-09-13].

stpeter: a lot of this work is experimental

input-events comments



<r12a> https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/350

addison: did you look back at spec? they have stuff about selecting text where it might be useful to have a space for capturing direction

close 351

<r12a> close 350, unless there's some additional thing to do wrt selection


needs more commentary since 'character' defined as EGC


addison: suggest we close



with exception of character definition, we'll close all of these

best practices for web forms



<r12a> https://w3c.github.io/string-meta/#metadata

<scribe> ACTION: richard: make section 3.2.2.x clearer in string-meta

<trackbot> Created ACTION-754 - Make section 3.2.2.x clearer in string-meta [on Richard Ishida - due 2018-09-13].


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: richard: make section 3.2.2.x clearer in string-meta
[NEW] ACTION: stpeter: draft email to payments asking about early interaction

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/09/06 17:28:41 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/i tmight/it might/
Succeeded: s/3561/351/
Default Present: addison, David, r12a, xfq, stpeter, stpeter_, JcK
Present: David JcK addison r12a stpeter xfq
Found ScribeNick: addison
Inferring Scribes: addison
Agenda: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2018Sep/0000.html
Found Date: 06 Sep 2018
People with action items: draft email richard stpeter

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]