30 Aug 2018



DarkoAnicic, Kaz_Ashimura, Micael_McCool, Lindsay_Frost, Daniel_Peintner, Darko_Anicic, Dave_Raggett, Michael_Koster, Michael_Lagally, Taki_Kamiya, Zoltan_Kis, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Toru_Kawaguchi, Martin_Bauer, Graeme_Coleman, Barry_Leiba, Ryuichi_Matsukura
dsr, kaz


<kaz> scribenick: dsr

Quick Updates

Paper submitted to permissions workshop in October

<kaz> and accepted

Request to restart architecture task force

McCool: doodle poll to decide the telco slot?

Kaz: we should ask who is interested first
... and then can poll for a time slot if needed
... but if there are just a few people, e.g., only the Editors, they can simply decide the slot

McCool: We could use the editors call slot

Toru: would like to start with initial discussion by the Editors of the Architecture draft

ETSI ISG CIM presentation

<kaz> @@@ slides tbd

Lindsay Frost presents.

Trying to build a bridge between traditional IoT, database approaches and the semantic web

We’re using property graphs

and HTTP qwith JSON-LD

We decided not to use SPARQL in order to guarantee performance over the web

we instead designed our own API instead

Our focus is on context information management

Centralised vs distributed vs federated solutions

Example involving police reporting a car accident

Lindsay explains how this uses property graphs

Next slide shows the JSON representation for the example

Lindsay recaps relationship to Web of Things

ETSI ISG CIM relates to descriptions of the context for things

We haven’t considered actions and events as yet

Slide with information model including geolocation information

and temporal aspects (observedAt, createdAt, modifiedAt)

We want to discuss how to bridge better to the web of things

Kaz: thanks Lindsay
... there are several possibilities for the next step
... first, we can add this liaison to the W3C Liaison table by specifying the liaison contact from your side (e.g., Lindsay, yourself) and the liaison contact from the W3C side (e.g., myself and Dave)
... also we can discuss how to support interchange of information
... e.g. participation in plugfest during TPAC in Lyon in late October

Lindsay: that’s very nice but too ambitious given the timescale

We wouldn’t have a certified ETSI implementation, but one of us could show what we have

Martin confirms this

Lindsay: I will take this back as a request to the FIWARE Foundation
... small terms would be to agree on terminology

We’re not sure of the TD @context is directly compatible though

WoT has been focusing on services, whilst ETSI ISG CIM has been focusing on the information models

<inserted> scribenick: kaz

dsr: this is related to property graphs
... I'm organizing a workshop on data
... in Feb in Europe
... how we can bridge the gap with RDF graphs
... opportunity for ETSI and FIWARE

<inserted> scribenick: dsr

Dave mentions upcoming W3C workshop (Feb 2019) on RDF next and inviting Lindsay and colleagues to participate in respect to property graphs and query languages

McCool: We are working with iot.schema.org on vocabularies for IoT semantics

mjkoster: I would like to find out more about using sub class of RDF resources

In iot.schema.org we’re defining terms for describing common IoT devices

we’re focusing more on service interaction models rather than describing the world

Our plugfests are experimental and we don’t have to nail everything down

It would be interesting to look at the complementary roles

McCool: we also have work on modelling message payloads for protocol descriptions
... finds the link to the editor’s draft

We’re trying to be consistent with JSON schema

McCool: let’s try to identify follow up actions

DarkoAnicic: I see that in iot.schema.org, we’ve looked at the SAREF ontology

and it would be interesting to consider how ETSI could use the iot.schema.org where appropriate

Lindsay: we are agnostic especially for domain vocabularies
... if there is no collision with our information model, we should be able to integrate with the iot.schema.org terms

McCool: mentions the WISHI activity

and part of the IRTF

mjkoster: a narrow set of categories and associated properties

Lindsay: our members have also considered terms like near-to, and the open question is where to make something part of the API or as external vocabularies

Kaz: would we like to invite Lindsay and Martin to our task force meetings when appropriate?

McCool: we would need to clarify the IPR policy applicable

mjkoster: the linked data task force is in the WoT IG and could be a good forum for liaison work

<DarkoAnicic> LD-telco: https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/IG_Linked_Data_and_Semantic_Processing_WebConf

The Linked Data TF is every 2 weeks on Friday at 4pm CET

Kaz: perhaps Lindsay could join the WoT IG officially?

Lindsay: I can look into that

Task Force reports

* TD

Sebastian is on vacation

Taki-san provides a summary on behalf of the TD task force.

<kaz> https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/166

One issue we discussed is versioning

McCool: I believe we closed that one

<kaz> https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/issues/204

McCool: I provided a counter proposal to making CBOR as a default for JSON encoding

I’ve also drafted a section on security considerations for discussion

<kaz> https://github.com/w3c/wot-thing-description/pull/207

* Binding

mjkoster: Binding Templates Task Force: 6 new patterns for consideration

We’re getting close to deciding on the spec freeze for TPAC

* Confirming publication schedule (TD, Binding)

Kaz: TD draft is already frozen for publication. right?

Some discussion on getting ready for updating the public WDs

McCool: any objections to publish?

no objections …

RESOLUTION: TD draft (https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/) on GH is ready for publication

RESOLUTION: corresponding draft of Binding Templates is also ready for publication

* Security

McCool summarises progress on security task force

* Testing

to be deferred …

* Scripting

zkis summarise progress within scripting task force

people should take a look at the current editor’s draft and we will decide on publishing next week

scribe: end of meeting …

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

  1. TD draft (https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/) on GH is ready for publication
  2. corresponding draft of Binding Templates is also ready for publication
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/08/30 17:19:22 $