18 Apr 2018



Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_McCool, Ben_Francis, Daniel_Peintner, Graem_Coleman, Tetsushi_Matsuda, Michael_Koster, Ryuichi_Matsukura, Takeshi_Sano, Zoltan_Kis, DarkoAnicic, Barry_Leiba, Kazuo_Kajimoto, Fano_Ramparany, Kunihiko_Toumura, Sebastian_Kaebisch, Tomoaki_Mizushima, Nan_Wang
McCool, Kajimoto


<kaz> scribenick: mjkoster

Visa for Korea meeting visa and invitation letter

Kaz: please check your visa status and apply early

<kaz> https://www.tta.or.kr/eng/new/about/organizations.jsp TTA

McCool: still waiting on host details

<Ryuichi> https://github.com/w3c/wot/blob/master/plugfest/2018-prague/docs/PlugfestSummary180418.pdf

PlugFest recap

Ryuichi: breakdown of plugfest scenarios
... one group used local and remote proxies in the 2-proxy pattern
... another group of application servients is not well described, please provide more information about application servients
... another group used node-wot
... another group using scripting API, interoperable between different servients
... another group using Thing Directory for discovery
... another group of device servients, analyzed for which protocols and interfaces were supported
... another group used semantic discovery using iot.schema
... the analysis of security scenarios is missing information about the protocols

McCool: we could send around a note asking for the information on security setup

<Zakim> kaz, you wanted to suggest people clarify their own servients using the guideline.md file and/or company-guideline.md file :)

Ryuichi: will try to collect the security information

Kaz: everyone please clarify their scenario details as needed, look into the other documents besides preparation.md

Ryuichi: we need the participants to provide more description

Kaz: maybe we can start with TDs, make sure everyone's TDs are available

Lagally: did we merge our preparation documents? they don't seem to have been worked on since the PF

McCool: we should go back and update the files to what we actually did

<kaz> TD files

Kaz: we should go in and do an update with matsukura-san and koster moderating

Lagally: we can re-use preparation.md for the summary and extend it as needed

Ryuichi: there is another scenario group around event handling and notification, who used long polling

<mlagally> my point was that a merged preparation.md can be the basis for the summary document, since it contains a lot of information that may be lost

<kaz> (+1 and we should think about document structure in detail later :)

McCool: the web camera used long polling, also the Siemens entry had an event source

Ryuichi: the last group is device simulators

McCool: the OCF smart home demo also has a simulator mode, also counter.js is a thing

Ryuichi: goals for the next plugfest improvement in information provided
... use a common schema between participants, better security description, better accessibility description

McCool: we may want to clarify and be specific about what we mean by "proxy" since there are different flavors

Ryuichi: need to specify Thing Directory interface for interoperability

<kaz> +1 to clarify various network topology/setting as part of the Architecture document

Ryuichi: browser as servient will be an important component
... we need to collect TDs from everyone
... we need to collect more information about different network topologies
... we also need to describe the interface between servients in the proxy cases
... we can develop a set of meta-applications to drive specific application scenarios

Lagally: we should have more simulated devices, which would enable integration work before the plugfest

McCool: we can have these available online
... we would need security set up for this

Lagally: would need a node-wot instance to be hosted by someone

Koster: offer to host an instance on Digital Ocean if others will help maintain

McCool: also offer to set up a smart home demo instance
... administrative processes for online instances, sharing passwords, etc. let's add an agenda item for next week on proposals

<Zakim> kaz, you wanted to wonder what the difference between "simulated device" and "actual device" from TD viewpoint

Kaz: what is the difference between actual device and simulated device?
... also everyone should update and describe their Thing Descriptions
... so we can share and re-use

McCool: let's get things online soon and document them for the next plugfest
... for online things they should have basic auth or some security

Ben: online things would enable online testing outside plugfests and mozilla would provide an instance of their gateway

Sebastian: we have been planning online testing for some time
... TD playground could be expanded to have some servients

McCool: let's continue the discussion about testing as the next agenda item

McCool: adds action items to the agenda for next week:
* Document what was done during last PF on w3c/wot/plugfest
* Discuss online things and simulators for pre-testing


McCool: waiting for a report out from kaz and mlagally on testing tools

<kaz> McCool's created testing page

Kaz: have been working on tooling framework
... there is a W3C test framework

<kaz> https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests

<kaz> http://web-platform-tests.org/introduction.html

Kaz: normative assertions need to be manually extracted from the specification document
... there is a new announcement from W3C about upcoming changes to the test framework that we need to follow

<kaz> https://www.w3.org/blog/2018/04/a-short-update-on-the-web-platform-test-project-invitation/

McCool: editors need to create clear assertions "MUST", "SHOULD", and "MAY" in their documents

<kaz> there is a specific CSS notation for that purpose: <em class="rfc2119" title="MUST">MUST</em>

<kaz> e.g., https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/WD-appmanifest-20180403/#conformance

McCool: this is an action for the next 2 weeks
... test suite repo needs to be created
... there are specification tests and implementation tests
... task force items?
... any other business?

PlugFest discussion during the main call?

Kaz: continue PF discussion in the main call for now

McCool: until we runout of time to discuss
... discuss testing in the PF time slot?

(no objections)

Kaz: let's use the PF time slot for the testing discussion next week

McCool: adds note to the agenda for next week: will discuss testing during "Plugfest" timeslot next week


<benfrancis> Hi, not sure if you want to add this to the agenda, but I just wanted to leave a note to mention Mozilla's announcement (https://hacks.mozilla.org/2018/04/build-your-own-web-things-with-the-things-framework/) of the Things Framework (https://iot.mozilla.org/things/) for building what we call "native web things" which host their own Thing Description and web API. This includes open source implementations in NodeJS, Python, Java and C++, with Rust coming soon. The Thing Description format used is documented here (https://iot.mozilla.org/wot/) which is quite close to the current Simplified TD proposal (https://w3c.github.io/wot-thing-description/proposals/simplified-td).


Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/04/18 13:51:22 $