Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

24 Jan 2018


janina, Joanmarie_Diggs, JF


<janina> aagenda+ preview agenda with items from two minutes

preview agenda with items from two minutes

news from Janina: Mozilla wants to start developing IAccessible2 and we got them a github repo - linuxa11yIaccessible2


ian css updates - needs group opinion on 2 items

ian: web animations and CSS transforms specs - both look fine wrt accessibility
... but need to express that animations shouldn’t be used for instructions/required information - is this covered by time based media in WCAG

janina: APA did previous make comments on animation spec - need to follow up
... believe it is essential that use has ability to kill animations if access to content is impeded

ian: believes this is covered by WCAG

janina: are we okay with this being implicit or should we ask for an accessibility impact description with link to WCAG?

michael: concerned that WCAG doesn’t cover the issues because tech. needs the ability to stop - not sure the tech (CSS) provides that feature

ian: it is scriptable so can be stopped via that mechanism

michael: is it good enough for the author to provide the script to stop or should there be a user agent mechanism to stop

Janina: one use case is to animate steps in a process. Seems like a good case for A11y impact statement from APA

michael: verify if this is covered by media query (stop animations)

ian: can check the media query before start the animations

michael: believes wrap CSS inside of media queries

janina: is there enough in the technology to allow changing to a step by step process
... stepping through an animation in a “how to” could be powerful for everyone - would like the technology to support this

ian: this is possible via scripting (but not built in)

Janina: do we want the api to explicitly support stepping through? Seems worth discussing

Michael: also need a global stop command - spec should specify that user agents need to provide such a command

ian: but WCAG doesn’t require this?

Michael: WCAG is for authors but an API needs to have all options
... technologies should provide the needed features for APIs

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to ask how I should update our tracking for these specs

ian: this is inconsistent becaues would only apply to web animations created via CSS

Michael: agree but it is a start; user agents may not be handle scripting cases
... we want to eliminate a11y barriers within the specification - even if inconsistent with some of WCAG requirements

ian: has simple email drafted:
... reads email (will paste into minutes)

<IanPouncey> "The CSS Accessibility Task Force is a group endeavour between the CSS Working Group and the Accessible Platform Architectures (APA) Working Group to review and advise on the accessibility concerns and requirements for CSS specifications.

<IanPouncey> We currently have a large backlog of specifications that require review, so we are looking for people to join the task force."

Janina: has some tweaks - in addition to backlog of specs we have other problems we want to entice people to work on

Michael: what about CSS transforms?

ian: same issue as web animations

Michael: ian also made comments on scroll snap and grid layout

ian: doesn’t believe we need indepth review of scroll snap

Michael: updating actions

ian: grid layout does have an a11y note that adequately covers the issues

Michael: will mark these actions as complete (scroll snap, grid layout)

Upcoming COGA CfC--Standing permission to publish Gaps WDs

Janina: expecting communications from COGA
... we asked for timeline and objectives plan so expect an email for this timeline and details to reach note status

tink: is there a roadmap for the personalization spec?

Michael: not a roadmap but working on it

Janina: personalization is an ARIA task force
... want to skip actions and new pubs to jump to DOM

New in HTML 5.3 -- Leonie

Janina: not really HTML 5.3 item - DOM is a separate spec, but shadow DOM is being folded into DOM spec
... understand thatmoving forward on custom elements is not in the 5.3 timeline?

tink: yes that is correct - email reply didn’t get to the list, yet
... shadow DOM being folded into 4 or 4.1 spec
... suggested that custom elements also be folded in but can’t find a person to devote time into it
... need to be in CR in May

Janina: anything else for HTML 5.3

tink: plan to be in CR by May 24; sending out for wide review by end of March

Janina: expecting any a11y issues?

tink: not so far mostly editorial

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

Michael: actions on ian - CSS animations - update due date by 2 weeks

<MichaelC> action-2158 due 2 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2158 Manage review of css animations https://www.w3.org/tr/css-animations-1/ in context of previous pf activity from 5 years ago due date to 2018-02-07.

<MichaelC> action-2159 due 2 weeks

<trackbot> Set action-2159 Manage review of css transforms https://www.w3.org/tr/css-transforms-1/ note pf feedback from 2009 due date to 2018-02-07.

<MichaelC> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2018Jan/0009.html

Michael: action on John wrt VTT

JF: there are technical restraints (caption text enlargment but restrained by bounding box) - group was working on assumption that zooming media would include video and caption
... no simple answer because VTT does allow using CSS to enlage the text but can be clipping issues in a smal bounding box
... push back on group that when dealing with APIs we need more than the code - need explanatory doc as well

Janina: CFC closed yesterday on TTML comments; Godfried created some comments for TTML
... will find the TTML comments and forward to John F in order to compare to VTT

<MichaelC> TTML comment CfC: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2018Jan/0000.html

JF: will review after the call

<MichaelC> action-2162: make sure comments jive with https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa-admin/2018Jan/0000.html

<trackbot> Notes added to action-2162 Prepare response to webvtt request for feedback on 2015 comments.

Michael: will send a message that we are in the process of compiling VTT comments
... action on Joanie for file api - still in progress

<MichaelC> action-2145 due 6 months

<trackbot> Set action-2145 Ping review on long tasks api 1 due date to 2018-07-24.

<MichaelC> action-2134 due 6 months

<trackbot> Set action-2134 Ping review of css overflow module level 4 due date to 2018-07-24.

michael: action on Michael to ping review of CSS overflow module 4 (still in 1st public WD - will advance due date)
... action 2131 on Michael about content security policies - will leave that to stale
... action on Ted on DOM - relates to previous discussion
... publications: HTML 5.3 - we got update from Leonie

<Zakim> JF, you wanted to ask about ACTION 2162

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> HTML 5.3

Janina: aks is there a diff out on HTML 5.3, yet?

<tink> We expect to send HTML5.3 out for wide review by the end of March, so suggest that's ok for APA.

<MichaelC> IndieAuth

rssAgent, make log public

rssAgent, draft Minutes

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/01/24 17:58:51 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Present: janina Joanmarie_Diggs JF
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: Becka11y
Inferring Scribes: Becka11y
Found Date: 24 Jan 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]