Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

11 Jan 2017

See also: IRC log


MichaelC, Janina, jasonjgw, scott_h, sloandr, Faezeh
sloandr, Janina


<sloandr> scribe: sloandr

Teleconference logistics

Survey has been conducted to gather preferences for a regular time for RQTF teleconferences. Challenges due to geographical spread of participants, and impact of daylight saving time changes.

Agreed on 1400 UTC for time. Frequency of teleconferences to be revisited. Suggested weekly for now, while we ramp up work, and review when we can move to less frequent calls.

authentication and captcha

We now have reference lists for Authentication: Authentication https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/wiki/Authentication_references and CAPTCHA https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/wiki/CAPTCHA_References

<janina> scribe: Janina

sloandr: Have more to add to the wiki
... Goal to point to most recent research findings
... To include general approaches on authentication, not just a11y
... Believe we'll then want to discuss--not just list publications
... We may want to look at how we aportion the review tasks

<sloandr> scribe: sloandr

scott_h: CAPTCHA search has uncovered wider set of references, and beyond accessibility. Agree we need to consider analysis

janina: we need to consider dual-factor authentication more widely, and beyond CAPTCHA

jasonjgq: read some of the references focused on accessibility. Some very good material we need to consider. Interesting work on CAPTCHA including imitations of audio CAPTCHA and possible alternatives.

jasonjgw: useful papers exploring alternative methods addressing needs of people with disabilities, which could contribute to guidance

<Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to differentiate individual identification from human detection

jasonjgw: next steps could be to identifying best practice/lessons learned; inviting expert(s) to a meeting to review our findings

MichaelC: important to distinguish authentication (process of individual proving they are who they say they are) from CAPTCHA (distinguishing human from non-human)

jasonjgw: this could also feed in to the Silver TF process, establishing where authentication and CAPTCHA may influence future accessibility guidelines

scott_h: agree we should have an expert(s) to review findings; would be willing to refine CAPTCHA list to be more focused on accessibility
... would be willing to tackle the third topic this TF has been tasked with reviewing

MichaelC: need a clear goal for review, suggest a survey or other mechanism where people can report what they're getting from the review of the literature. May be challenging finding suitable experts to review.

scott_h: suggest all TF members review literature and summarise key points from each

jasonjgw: took this approach when reading papers, but we could frame review more specifically

<janina> sloandr: Like the idea of a framework to capture a distillation of what we read in these papers

<janina> sloandr: How do we divide up the work? Self-nominate? Someone assign?

jasonjgw: copyright issues with sharing, may be able to approach authors for versions

MichaelC: suggest adding access details with each reference listed on the TF wiki
... encourage everyone to indicate what repositories they can access to aid with the review allocation process

<scribe> ACTION: sloandr to extend Authentication reference list 2017/01/18 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/01/11-rqtf-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2108 - Extend authentication reference list 2017/01/18 [on David Sloan - due 2017-01-18].

<janina> Agreed Actions: 1.) David to finalize the listing of papers to review; 2.) Michael and Jason to identify the libraries involved; 3.) People will identify which of these they can access

accessibility implications of Web/Internet of Things

jasonjgw: Shadi has written a paper on accessibility implications of Web/Internet of Things. Propose continuing discussion with RQTF on extending this investigation into current knowledge/research activity when Shadi is available.

scott_h: notes emerging trend from devices shown at CES trade show recently for support for Alexa/voice control.

Coordination with WCAG Silver Task Force

<scott_h> Janina: could you add me as action item to do lit review for Topic 2 if not alrady added


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: sloandr to extend Authentication reference list 2017/01/18 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2017/01/11-rqtf-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2017/01/11 15:03:11 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: sloandr
Inferring ScribeNick: sloandr
Found Scribe: Janina
Inferring ScribeNick: janina
Found Scribe: sloandr
Inferring ScribeNick: sloandr
Scribes: sloandr, Janina
ScribeNicks: sloandr, janina
Default Present: MichaelC, Janina, jasonjgw, scott_h, sloandr, Faezeh
Present: MichaelC Janina jasonjgw scott_h sloandr Faezeh

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 11 Jan 2017
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2017/01/11-rqtf-minutes.html
People with action items: sloandr

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]