19 Dec 2016

See also: IRC log


kirkwood, lisa, jan, Thaddeus, Jim_S, Janina
maryjo, mike_pluke, EA


<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

Action items and review of agenda

<Lisa_Seeman_> scribe: Jan

<scribe> ACTION: Item to Review Open Action Items & Introductions for New Member [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/12/19-coga-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Error finding 'Item'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/track/users>.

Review Open Action Items & Introductions for New Member - Shari Butler with Pearson

<Lisa_Seeman_> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/track/actions/open

Lisa - Update on bot paper - John does not have progress on it yet, but Susan is not here, but IBM is putting out some bots and should be looking into it soon.

<Lisa_Seeman_> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/issue-papers/user-testing.html

Lisa - User testing / ethics - would like to incorporate it into the next publication of the issue papers - Lisa put link to the paper into IRC

It is important that we have actually identified what we mean by user testing - it is important for people to understand human rights, what they are testing, and how to do it.

<Thaddeus> + Thaddeus

<Thaddeus> Thaddeus present

<Lisa_Seeman_> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/issue-papers/user-testing.html

Lisa - Thaddeus update on paper about anxiety and depression - quick update?

Thaddeus - We had talked about adding PTSD, but Regenald needs to align this with the current research that he is doing.

Thaddeus - mood disorders, neurotic stress disorders and schizophrenia are the topics that Regenald has listed for his research

Lisa - reached out to WCAG group to make sure that we can address emotional disturbance - so far there has not been any objection

Lisa - reaching out to Madeleine Rothberb about metadata

Jan - Madeleine Rothberg just recently did a presentation for Bookshare about Metadata - Lisa will reach out to her for the recording

Lisa - Madeleine has done a great job of addressing metadata for physical disabilities and is aware that there is a hole and that they need to address cognitive - this will link in with the personalization settings that we need to write for issue papers.

Brief overview of what is happening with WCAG


+1 to brief overview

<slim> +1, if others ok with it

<Jim_S> +1 to overview

SC updates. WCAG and do we want to add anything to : https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/extension/status.html, FAQ's

<slim> could start with where we are in terms of W3C deliverables?

Stake holders for Silver - does anyone have any ideas

Lisa - there is going to be a restructure of how to address accessibility, so W3C wants to make sure that all of the stake holders are represented. There is a form for nominating people for Silver that Lisa would need to fill out

Lisa - I was thinking about Autism Association and Alzheimer's of Europe and the Brittish Dyslexia Association - I think they are looking for individuals, but we need to think about organizations and then find individuals who could represent

Lisa - this is important because they need the full spectrum of expertise, so it's worth putting thought into this.

Thaddeus - if we know someone, do we contact them outside of the W3C?

Lisa - I think we should nominate people whose perspectives we believe should be represented.

<kirkwood> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Stakeholder_Submissions

<Lisa_Seeman_> If you want to know what names have been submitted so far, the list is available at:

<Lisa_Seeman_> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/task-forces/silver/wiki/Stakeholder_Submissions

<Lisa_Seeman_> The form is at:

<Lisa_Seeman_> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd7jxkMzK4HbzK0cyyBnkv3cKFJL_ahIwIcbHao7qOZLyDy-w/viewform

<Lisa_Seeman_> https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ACOGA

WCAG and SC proposals

<Lisa_Seeman_> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/COGA-FAQ

Lisa - please review the FAQ and let her know if there are any additional FAQs that we need to add or are there any comments on the FAQ page

Lisa - the FAQ page also addressed the process we went through to develop the Cognitive SCs

<slim> are all the SCs open issues or is there a document too?

Lisa - I would encourage people with decent editorial skills to volunteer for each success criterion to be a manager

<Lisa_Seeman_> C managers page (https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/SC_Managers_Phase1) a

Lisa - there have been multiple SC criteria submitted from different working groups and each one needs a manager. The link provided by Lisa defines the manager job.

Lisa - no one has volunteered for any of the COGA SC

<slim> i can't see coga stuff there?

Lisa - the risk is that we will get people signing up for the COGA SC that don't really want to do it and who are not necessarily understanding the space or are interested in the space.

Thaddeus - I thought that we could not sign up for a SC that we worked on

Lisa - I think it's just the proposer

Thaddeus - So, Lisa is the proposer of all COGA SC

Lisa - let's go ahead and sign up for some of the SC and then see if we are corrected - no one else is signing up for them

<slim> I'll commit to at least one -

<slim> when need to be done?

<slim> "Identify overlap/synergies with other SC proposals " will be hard

Lisa - I would rather not sign up as a manager because I am going to have to argue the point on any comments that come back on the 39 submitted SC

Thaddeus - I will sign up for some and then notify the group

Lisa - you probably need to notify WCAG as well.

<Thaddeus> yes will do

Lisa - do we want to continue tracking each of our 39 SC and update things like "has a manager assigned," etc.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ACOGA

<Lisa_Seeman> manger colubm

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: lisa add manager to status for SC [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/12/19-coga-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-197 - Add manager to status for sc [on Lisa Seeman - due 2016-12-26].

emotional disabilities proposal https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2016Dec/0038.html

<Jim_S> I get a 404 with the link

Emotional Disabilities - We might need a new research template

Jan - I get a 404 error as well

I think it is because the " is in the link

<Thaddeus> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2016Dec/0038.html

This link works: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2016Dec/0038.html

Lisa - what are the challenges that people with emotional disturbance experience when using ICT and IoT - for example, if you're having a panic attack, you may not be able to remember your password

Lisa - I think that we may find a huge overlap with the research we have done with other cognitive disabilities

Lisa - we need to look at whether or not there are design practices, etc., that can cause harm to COGA, including people with emotional disturbance.

Lisa - there are things that I have left out of here that I think are out of scope - like where people with emotional disabilities might follow other people because we are supposed to focus on the user and not everyone else

Janina - We need to be able to quantify "harm" in the same way that we quantify flashing content

<janina> Lisa, we lost your audio

Lisa - we should tag everything with whether or not it is subjective or quantifiable

Janina - we will find some areas where we can quantify and some where we cannot

Lisa - there was a short overview of each cognitive and learning disability that we were address - just a definition for those who have never heard of it. This was true in cognitive, so it will be the same in emotional so that people can leave their misconceptions at the door

Lisa - there might be research that identifies things that can help, but there may be other suggestions that you think would help

Janina - I want to underline and underscore what was said about defining the condition, but we need to emphasize what it means on the web

Lisa - we need to think about in terms of disabilities that we are looking at, is whether or not we should recruit people into the task force who may have specific expertise in this area

Jan - Shari Butler has some specific names of people that may be invited as experts

JohnK - I may also have some connections, but I just need some additional information on who you would be interested in recruiting

Lisa - we are off for the next two weeks - there is a WCAG call tomorrow and I would encourage people to attend

Lisa - the WCAG survey came through while we were on the call

Lisa - they are going to go through all of our proposal and ask about things in our FAQ, so it would help to have additional COGA task force people

Lisa - actually, I have not seen the questionnaire for this week yet.

Lisa - they are not moving anything forward until it has a SC manager

Lisa - Andrew is saying that managers are supposed to say whether or not something is ready for the group to look at.

Janina - Very little is likely to happen in the next two weeks because of the holidays

Lisa - they are going to talk about numbering and requirements for SCs - we were told that this is guidance

Lisa - some people are trying to call them acceptance criteria - this is a problem because if something doesn't meet one of the criterion 100%, it could still be achieved when possible, so if it's its an "acceptance" criteria, that could cause a problem

Lisa - our testability section has some recommendations, but not widely approved testing processes

bye everyone - happy holidays!

<Lisa_Seeman_> Happy hollidays to all!!!

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Item to Review Open Action Items & Introductions for New Member [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/12/19-coga-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: lisa add manager to status for SC [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/12/19-coga-minutes.html#action02]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/12/19 18:26:32 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: Jan
Inferring ScribeNick: Jan
Present: kirkwood lisa jan Thaddeus Jim_S Janina
Regrets: maryjo mike_pluke EA

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Got date from IRC log name: 19 Dec 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/12/19-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: add item lisa manager

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]