Silver Task Force Teleconference

22 Nov 2016

See also: IRC log


Dave, Jeanne, Sarah


JS: What do we information do we need to have to give to faculty

DS: That's a big question that is related to the depth of the information we want to have from the research.
... Include the nature of the work we want to be required.
... Give the date we want to get the data, whether it is an individual or teamprojects
... having project ideas is helpful.

JS: Maybe we are too specific

DS: Not necessarily. That will help faculty to position it. Some graduate students might want to contribute in their own time.
... it depends on the benefit they get from the research.
... since this project is helping gather research to design Silver and not to contribute directly into the guidelines
... presumably there is no money, so the benefit is gathering data that could be used in a research publication.

Research Activities:

* Build Stakeholder Map, who are the people we want to learn from.

* Build surveys to send to Stakeholders and public

DS: Piloting surveys will be important

* Interviews - help design the structure and how we get data from it. Doing the Interviews

* Self Reporting Activity - we design a self reporting vehicle so people can track how they use WCAG. We could design them for different roles.

SH: Self Reporting is an area where we need help

DS: I think it is better for the Task Force to design and run the survey
... there are deadlines for defining projects in the academic calendar.
... Easter for summer projects. There are post-grads who may want to work on those.

* Research into secondary research into other organizations

DS: RQTF met last week for the first time.
... they discussed a new project on authentication and security
... next meeting is Wed, 30 November. There is enough in the research section that could be packaged together in a research publication, which is motivation.

<scribe> ACTION: Jeanne to check about research questions and whether W3C limits publication opportunities. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/11/22-silver-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-3 - Check about research questions and whether w3c limits publication opportunities. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2016-11-29].

* Analysis of WCAG Adaptations

SH: We have very specific questions about the WCAG adaptations. Along the lines of intellectual property and our objectives. We need to make sure our objectives are met. We need to make sure there is something in it for others, but we also need to make sure we get our questions answered.

DS: I don't think that is a problem as long as our questions are answered.

s/our questions are answered. /the questions are clearly stated.

DS: I know people that I can say "would you like to work with me?"
... this is a pro bono request, so we should be asking lots of people to do small amounts.
... the risk of faculty proposing projects to their students is that no student takes it on.
... Or, if the project is picked up by a student, they may not do the project to the quality level needed.

JS: I had a good experience with ATAG testing using graduate students. Some didn't do much, but some were outstanding.
... also the surveys, I want help with creating valid surveys.

DS: Sampling, eliminating bias, how to ask the questions.

SH: Let's blend a few things that are powerful and effective:
... filling the gap, we have all the skills and knowledge we need to get a good outcome
... their objectives are to do meaningful projects that will move poeple foward in their scholarly career.
... we want to partner up
... we are in a mentoring role, like the Teaching Accessibility Initiative, where we bring our expertise in accessibility standards, and we bring mentoring. The papers are also done in partnership.

DS: What do we have to do to look at each question to package it as a piece of work.
... in a 4-month project, the faculty and student would meet weekly, and then a 3rd party (us) would meet with them bi-weekly.

JS: I'm concerned about the time commitment of what we are getting involved in for a partnership

SH: The research is what we are doing for the next year.

DS: Should we invite faculty to join WCAG and/or RQTF. We wouldn't need to attend every student project meeting if the faculty were a member of RQTF or Silver. Scott Hollier was very interested, there are a few academics who have access to students that we can tap into.

JS: I received an email from Rachael with contacts that she has reached out to who are interested in participating.

DS: That gives us two vehicles to approach faculty -- faculty themselves, and student projects.

SH: Maybe our first ask of the research scholarly community, "we have this process, informed by evidence, global impact. We need your help, we will follow up with specific ask. Our introductory packet is making a case for getting people invovleed and outlining the benefits.
... make those benefits explicit. For example, "we are handing you a curriculum for your summer project".

DS: Expected outcomes are very valuable.

JS: Let's not waste a lot of time on trying to convince faculty who are skeptical. We have people who are interested and want to participate. We don't need hundreds of people.

SH: Package it up so it is easy for them to see the benefits.

DS: Like "this is suitable for a final year student, or this is for graduate students"

<SarahHorton> This is a brainstorming document for the packet for asking for faculty assistance with research: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16KKBNSqHukk32fxXRZcpyvuVuEuAm2v9FGuu5xIXrIw/edit?usp=sharing

clear agenda

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to check about research questions and whether W3C limits publication opportunities. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/11/22-silver-minutes.html#action01]

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.148 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/11/22 15:53:51 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.148  of Date: 2016/10/11 12:55:14  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/individual of team /individual or team/
FAILED: s/our questions are answered. /the questions are clearly stated./
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: jeanne
Inferring Scribes: jeanne

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Present: Dave Jeanne Sarah
Regrets: Shawn
Found Date: 22 Nov 2016
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2016/11/22-silver-minutes.html
People with action items: jeanne

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]