Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

10 Oct 2016


See also: IRC log


Tzviya Siegman, Heather Flanagan, Ivan Herman, Leonard Rosenthol, Luc Audrain (laudrain), Charles LaPierre, Romain Deltour (rdeltour), Ayla Stein, Peter Krautzberger, Dave Cramer (dauwhe), Bill Kasdorf, Brady Duga, Chris Maden, Garth Conboy, Ben De Meester, Liam Quin, George Kerschner, Avneesh Singh
Vlad, David_Wood, Karen, Alan, Daniel


  1. Outreach note
  2. Admin
  3. Review of deduped UCR draft
    1. Versioning
    2. Referencing schema.org
    3. Definition of (P)WP
    4. "Collection of publications"
  4. Document reorganization

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/2016/10/03-dpub-minutes.html

Minutes: no comments

Minutes approved

Outreach note

Ivan: message from Karen

reminder to join Felix at Franfurt bookfair booth

<ivan> https://www.w3.org/2016/10/W3CPosteratFrankfurt2016.pdf

small slider : call for comment


next week : meeting cancelled

24th October next meeting

Review of deduped UCR draft

<garth> https://rawgit.com/w3c/dpub-pwp-ucr/dedupe/index.html

<tzviya> https://github.com/w3c/dpub-pwp-ucr/tree/dedupe

<scribe> New branch for UCR docuement from Leonard

Leonard: goal of that branch : remove duplicates

and cleaning, merging related things

grammar cleaning, phrases tagged in issue tracker

nothing controversial added, and not in my own opinions

ivan raised issues, let’s start with

ivan: general things, requirements very close or identical

Leonard added Ivan suggestions

<tzviya> ivan's comments: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digipub-ig/2016Oct/0089.html


ivan: to be discussed : issue on versioning 4.1

didn’t understand the first phrase

what do we mean by « versioning »?

<tzviya> https://rawgit.com/w3c/dpub-pwp-ucr/dedupe/index.html#distro-vers

in section 4.1 Distribution and Versioning

version as a publisher.

Leonard: another issue with archiving versioning

<Bill_Kasdorf> +1 to consider distribution and versioning as separate issues

Tzviya: publisher need to update a book an development language because a new release

in digital publication, no new publication for that, a minor update just editing a minor version number

<ayla_stein> Agreed

BillK: separate versioning from distribution

in archiving, an authoritative version is important

<ayla_stein> +1 Bill

Leonard: minor updates doesn’t change the canonical identifier but a change of a chapter change the identifier

<tzviya> in scientific publishing, the version of record is very important

BillK: 2 classes of changes : updates and corrections

Leonard: versioning and uniqueness from a publisher point of view

Tzviya: several point of view on that subject among publishers

Ivan: separate between changes done by the publishers from annotation, but identical from the user’s point of view

terms meaning different things in the community

for instance : a new version in CSV, in Git

Tzviya: same issue also on updates and corrections

Ivan: req 18 : does not make sense

Leonard: see also 3.8 that sorts it

<ayla_stein> would it be possible to have definitions of "version" in different sections of the document?

Ivan: there should be a way of tracking changes

BillK: a stable ID that doesn’t change in EPUB across minor correction, plus a time stamp

Ivan: it goes to implementation direction

BillK: is it the same thing?

<rdeltour> rdeltour: can we use the word "edition"?

Tzviya: we need the word version to something else

Ivan: do we need to keep 4.1?

BillK: versioning is done elsewhere?

Ivan: essentialy « I should be able to track changes »

Romain: « track changes » mean a lot in software dev

can we use teh word « edition » ?

Tzviya: means a lot 2

Garth: package version isn’t changed by the distribution

Brady: doesn’t matter if all is in the same package

<ayla_stein> so maybe the method of distribution?

<HeatherF> a publisher, a librarian, or a standards developer

Leonard to fix versioning

current examples: 2 and 3, do we agree they stand in the same area?

BillK: example 3 contains two separate issues

Ivan: the 2nd work if we mean what Garth said

Leonard: they don’t say anything on package

Passing along isn’t necessarily in the package way

Tzviya: keep these 2 examples to be rewritten

Referencing schema.org

Ivan: one more thing in referencing to schema.org

For accessibility metadata

George or Romain: shema.org vocabulary

Charles: it is in progress

Avneesh: formal definition in the wiki page

<clapierre> Here are the other two pending accessibility Pending metadata properties. https://pending.schema.org/accessibilitySummary and https://pending.schema.org/accessModeSufficient

Definition of (P)WP

Leonard: some clean up in the next round
... definition of a PWP? Portable or Packaged

ivan: Web publication and Packaged Web Publication? in the minutes of TPAC meeting

<HeatherF> second day more than the first

Garth: in the second day

<HeatherF> first day was sort of hashing things out, second day was bringing it all together.

<ivan> https://github.com/w3c/dpub-pwp-ucr/wiki/Jotting-down-ideas-for-the-discussions-@-TPAC-F2F-on-%3F%3F-Web-Publications

<ivan> "A Web Publication is a collection of one or more Web resources in standard formats, organized together into a uniquely identifiable grouping."

Ivan: workng definitions (see link above)

<leonardr> +1 to @ivan

Leonard: great def, we want also games

Tzviya: hope for a very broad umbrella spec, and also EPUB4 in it

Ivan: that introduction can be used as a start

Leonard: next issue capabilities of discovery under security

permission APIs, preserving integrity

"Collection of publications"

Dave: section 2.6 on collections, usage examples not clear that it describes collection of Web collections

just collecting some stuff

Leonard: old version « bunch of stuff organised together"

conceptual publication gathered together

Now in a logical unit

Dave: the 2nd usage, multiple paths to the publication

Ivan: is it a fundamental req?

open the door to meta publication

Tzviya: this was the issue I wanted to raise

We need to clarify what that means

Dave: metadata between the pub and the content itself

Leanard: from the doc perspective : combining multiple sources together to a new document

BiilK: fundamental definition : publication is a resource of resources

Ivan: this is part of the production of a publication

nuke the whole thing

<leonardr> I agree with @Bill_Kasdorf and @Ivan - a publication is just another type of resource. And would be fine nuking the section.

Dave: individual items need to be a publication?

BillK it can be but not necessarily

Dave: complication will be a mess

Ivan: nuclear option

<clapierre> +1 Nuke it

<garth> Remove section 2.6

Tzviay metadata associated with sub resources

<HeatherF> Yay for Leonard!

Tzviya: thank you Leonard!

<leonardr> you are welcome.

Document reorganization

Tzviya: document reorg

<leonardr> yes, some of them are very good, @Ivan

Ivan: one more task to do

discussion with Marcos, « there is a use case we should add »

example: for the packaged version, a way to ensure integrity of the package

after Heather is done with the cleanup

Heather: get started this week, something for the 24

Ivan: merging Leonard branch is the simplest thing to do

Tzviya: Charles any objection

Charles: i’ll take a look after the merge

Leonard: i’ll do it

Ivan: we will ping Marcos when the doc is in review

<ivan> trackbot, end telcon

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.144 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/10/11 08:29:00 $