Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

12 Sep 2016


See also: IRC log


Avneesh Singh, Heather Flanagan, Tzviya Siegman, George Kershner, Chris Maden, Brady Duga, Boris Anthony, Benjamin Young (bigbluehat), Dave Cramer (dauwhe), Garth Conboy, Ben De Meester, Liam Quin, Deborah Kaplan, Bill Kasdorf, Karen Myers, Peter Krautzberger, Luc Audrain



  1. minutes
  2. TPAC Agenda bashing
    1. Meeting with WCAG
    2. Meeting with the CSS WG
    3. PWP Draft discussion
    4. Towards a WG
  3. EPUB3.1
  4. UCR Document

<scribe> scribenick: dauwhe

all: daisy format scribing would be awesome

ivan: brings reality crashing down on our heads

<cmaden2> We’ve all agreed to be recorded; check the WebEx terms of use.

George: you get a complete navigable document!

ivan: we've thought about a recording on the 2nd session after lunch on Tuesday

tzviya: we can work it out (beatles music playing in the background)


<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/2016/08/22-dpub-minutes.html

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: let's look at the minutes

ivan: they were perfect

tzviya: we talked about Markus leaving, which makes us all infinitely sad
... minutes approved.

TPAC Agenda bashing

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Sep_2016_F2F_Logistics_and_Details#Agenda

<ivan> Agenda: http://www.w3.org/mid/4ce0468d63c243248b244f93ca570a0a@AUS-WNMBP-005-n.wiley.com

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: some meetings require a detailed agenda

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/Detailed_TPAC_2016_Agenda

tzviya: you might find your name in the agenda, with a request for more detail

Meeting with WCAG

Tzviya: we have a meeting with WCAG
... we could talk about the note charles and deborah put together
... the work on the automated checker, the work EPUB is doing
... we have an hour or so
... if other people have specific things, talk to Avneesh

Avneesh: we want to talk about starting points. An hour will be fine.

ivan: we have fifteen minutes doing nothing

tzviya: the morning meetings can run over

Meeting with the CSS WG

tzviya: the next detailed agenda is the meeting with the CSS Working Group
... we might want to narrow the scope
... most important topic is how to successfully collaborate
... we have some new members with experience in this area
... please contribute to the agenda!


brady_duga: Dave sent me an email. For me the important thing is Houdini

dauwhe: I mentioned houdini quite a bit :)

tzviya: CSSWG wants proof of concept

ivan: I'm looking at CSS list
... many of these are related to Houdini work
... the one that seems to be separate is the media queries for MathML question
... alan, is this worth discussing?

tzviya: the question of media queries is an important one, also relates to ARIA
... using MQ for extended descriptions
... perhaps we could talk about the extensibility of MQs

astearns: that might be promising
... both MQ issues could be wrapped up into one
... where we talk about new approaches to MQs
... but knowing the interested players and who to bring into the discussions would be helpful

tzviya: any other thoughts for css

ivan: what about FO?

various: we can have a very short conversation avoiding tech details

PWP Draft discussion

tzviya: someone added something about the pwp draft

ivan: that was me

tzviya: there were some tracker issues

<ivan> https://rawgit.com/w3c/dpub-pwp/sync-with-ucr/index.html

ivan: I began to do a bunch of work on a new version
... it's in a separate branch right now

Towards a WG

tzviya: the other session is "towards a working group"
... as y'all know, there's talk of an idpf+w3c merger
... there will probably be news early next week

garth: I did some updates to that document
... I used the word "combination"
... whoever put the testing thing in there, reveal thyself and lead the discussion!~

tzviya: this group or some variation of this group will become a working group; the question is next steps
... there's a testing discussion
... feel free to add things to the wiki

ivan: some IDPF board folks will be at that meeting, and some from the strategic discussion at w3c
... emphasis should be on long-term where we want to go

tzviya: Ealph and Wendy will be there
... and most of the IDPF board will be there

Subtopic: Misc. meetings and practicalities
... there's the Thursday pub community meeting
... on Friday I'm presenting to POE
... ARIA on thursday and friday

ivan: brace yourselves; you will be exhausted at the end of the week
... the Wednesday is big madness day

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2016/SessionIdeas

ivan: after a short morning intro, all kinds of sessions are proposed

<astearns> "big madness" = unconference

<tzviya> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2016

tzviya: there are lots of proposed sessions; Dave and I proposed one about manifests and publishing
... lots of interesting proposals already

<astearns> https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2016/FAQ for more details on how Wednesday is organized

tzviya: there will be one about annotations and ASF (the Apache Software Foundation)
... and there will be one on Music and MusicML
... do people want to call in for TPAC?

deborah: I would like to call in

<david_stroup> Yes

ivan: it would be good to have more names, so I know if I have to set up US times only


tzviya: EPUB31 has been published as a public draft, with a formal call for review

<tzviya> http://idpf.org/news/call-for-review-public-draft-of-epub-31

tzviya: this similar to ... something.
... y'all can log issues in github
... there are hundreds of issues on Github, being dealt with by the saintly Matt Garrish

UCR Document

tzviya: I skipped the most important thing on the agenda
... Heather, can you update us on UCR?

<HeatherF> http://w3c.github.io/dpub-pwp-ucr/

HeatherF: go to github.io link, you'll see an edited version from last week
... section numbers etc did change
... there are 22 things I need to put in as issues
... some things don't come across as either requirements or use cases, so need work
... I hope to get them into github issues, but I was making jam.
... fruit waits for no one.

<Karen> +1 jam making :)

<ivan> +1

HeatherF: feedback welcome

ivan: huge +1 to Heather, it's been improved a lot!
... section headers and descriptions are now separated
... I have the green light from the webmaster who have checked the doc
... official publication will happen tomorrow during the euroday

tzviya: heather made some phenomenal major changes
... the fundamental use cases are broken into two sections, author+reader and implementation
... we can work through some of the issues at tpac

HeatherF: if someone wants to do a diff, it probably won't work

ivan: there is an html output diff program, but the changes are probably too much

HeatherF: I think this is a perfectly good FPWD

tzviya: thank you Heather!
... comments? concerns?
... file issues. and let's get the word to the street that this is being published!

ivan: write a blog if you want!

tzviya: there's a link to epub that doesn't work

ivan: issue, please.

tzviya: we'll see many of you next week

<PeterK> bye!

<HeatherF> Safe travels, for all who are traveling!

<astearns> On the topic of diffing editorial changes - using semantic line feeds consistently helps *a lot*

<astearns> http://rhodesmill.org/brandon/2012/one-sentence-per-line/

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.143 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/09/12 16:11:07 $