26 Aug 2016



Kaz_Ashimura, Michael_Koster, Michael_McCool, Daniel_Peintner, Masato_Ohura, Matthias_Kovatsch, Soumya_Kanti_Datta, Takuki_Kamiya, Toru_Kawaguchi, Katsuyoshi_Naka, Sebastian_Kaebisch, Dave_Raggett, Kazuaki_Nimura, Ryuichi_Matsukura, Darko_Anicic, Frank_Reusch, Uday_Davuluru, Victor_Charpenay, Thomas_Bergwinkl


Quick Updates

Mat: Joint call with OneM2M, 31 Aug 2016 (8am EDT)
... will send an email to gather agenda items

WG Charter

-> http://w3c.github.io/wot/charters/wot-wg-2016.html draft WG Charter

-> http://www.w3.org/2016/08/wot-white-paper/ WoT Whitepaper

Dave: information regarding current situation of WG charter,
... Matthias volunteer this section,
... building blocks, how we bring it in the plugfest und participate in plugfest
... proof the charter, AC review is planned for September

Mat: Next Wednesday meeting of W3M, then initiate the AC-review

TPAC 2016

Mat: remind the people regarding reports of the plugfest, move forward to TPAC preparation

Daniel: Split the content across 4 demonstration table,
... looking for contributors for lead the demo table, link is posted at IRC
... scripting API, Johannes is asked to lead
... protocol bindings: Matthias, Frank, Uday are in the lead
... Template we would like to use as a common design for the roll-up banner posters
... we have some technical issues, needs Kaz for that

Mat: we need more support for tables

Introduction of Micahel McCool, Intel

Michael_McCool: (due to audio issue, had to get reconnected)
... gave an introduction to his person and activities

WG Charter (revisited)

-> http://w3c.github.io/wot/charters/wot-wg-2016.html draft WG Charter

-> http://www.w3.org/2016/08/wot-white-paper/ WoT Whitepaper

Kaz: (due to audio issue, had to get reconnected)
... comment W3M review,
... wondering about changes based on charter

Mat: Talk about the changes, the long introduction part was moved to the WoT Whitepaper
... in the mission statement we added a link to the whitepaper
... Introduction is now pretty short, only focused what we want to do

Kaz: We need to add clarification based on the W3M comments

Mat: Dave suggested somethings from Schema.org, vocabularies like linked open data

Michael: that can use devices from different vendors, different platforms

Kaz: yes, basically the goal of WoT is not defining yet another IoT mechanism but integrating/connecting all the existing IoT frameworks using the Web application layer
... so it would be useful to add that kind of statement

Mat: W3C counter fragmentation of WoT ...

Kaz: btw, we need to add the ending date. as discussed and got consensus the other day, it should be "31 Dec. 2018"
... please merge my pull request for that

Mat: will do

Dave: suggests we update the Chair field with Michael McCool's name

Kaz: Regarding expected co-Chairs for the WG, we should send a reminder to the whole IG first
... and also we should have discussion within the group to get consensus about the updated WG Charter

Dave: The issue is that we don't have time to discuss this in detail, we can't wait
... Philipp asked me to bring this to W3M next Wednesday

Kaz: The content is more important than bringing this to W3M

Dave: W3M makes the decision on the Chairs

Kaz: That is not correct. as the W3C Process Document states, appointing Chairs is one of the roles of the Director
... however, initial discussion on the candidates should be done within the group to build a consensus

Dave: that's different from my understanding
... if the members have suggestions, we would see them
... it's not final but we have some proposals, so let's list them
... next Tuesday is the deadline for review, if anyone has a comment the person should send it by the end of Tuesday
... we can make small corrections, other things are to discuss

Kaz: if the document is fixed we can send it to W3M again

Mat: after the call, I'll send an email to ask you all for review
... please review the updated draft WG charter
... if we don't have consensus in Tuesday evening, we won't send the charter to AC review, and discuss the open issues later again
... We should avoid that everything is based on W3M, some political issues and comments, optimizing the wording, little bit more flexible wording

Darko: comments the discussion

Dave: people from different backgrounds, we have demonstrated the audience during the plugfest

Uday: a question regarding the working group, single or multiple working groups?

Mat: IG will continue, WG is a single group, we almost finished with charter about that

Uday: Any sub-groups to the WG to deal with TD and other topics?

Mat: Sub-Topics are described in the charter

TPAC 2016 (revisited)

-> https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/wiki/F2F_meeting,_September_2016,_Portugal,_Lisbon_Demo Lisbon demo wiki

Mat: Going back to the TPAC

Daniel: Questions to Kaz, 5 to 6 roll-up stands are planned

Kaz: I did get response regarding screens to meeting planning team

(there was much feedback noise and all members made a new connection with the meeting)

Mat: Roll-up is not clear, for the screens do we have a member who can look about it

Kaz: if it is possible for Siemens to bring some support?

Mat: We have to rent rooms, there is a located Siemens office...

Kaz: For us it may be easier to bring projectors, we can put some paper on the wall

Mat: the lead of the table is responsible to organize equipment, roll-ups, etc.

Kaz: Other message from the Business Development team, we can use a booth for the whole TPAC week but we need to pay 1,500 Euro

-> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-forum/2016JulSep/0020.html demo booth for TPAC whole week (Member-only)

Mat: That is too much overhead for us
... the network, what we definitely need, wired Internet?

Kaz: We are clarify the equipment

Mat: We are using our own router, The setup last time was very complicated

Kaz: I asked about the possibility about connection

Mat: Is there an internet connector in the room and are there any security requirements?

Daniel: Will take the rest from this topic to the mail list

IG Deliverable Documents

Mat: IG deliverables, Kaz can you say some words to that topics

Kat: We need to clarify the "shortname" for the publication
... basically we can reuse the GitHub file names as the shortnames, e.g., wot-ucr, wot-architecture and wot-practices

Mat: I'll check it and send an email for that
... all the documents except Technology Landscape should be ready for publication
... we should be able to publish the Technology Landscape as well once we get an active Editor

Soumya: Come back from vacation and can work on that

Mat: next week convert technical landscape for the release, then we can see the open issues
... I would like to publish documents before TPAC

Soumya: Yes agree, will support

Mat: Thank you, speak about it next week


-> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wot-ig/2016Aug/0010.html discussion on Hydra

Bergi: Start technological discussion regarding Hydra
... you can make a Get-request if you know what you have, you can use this operation to set up actions,...

Darko: little bit difficult to understand your statement clearly (technical problems of communication quality)
... I personally find Hydra as a very interesting approach, on the other hand TD it aims another web of things solution, if you want to read property you want to use a Get, and so on..

Daniel: I can't understand completely the comparison between Hydra and WoT

Michael_Koster: Hydra was more hypermedia protocols..

Mat: Hydra, you can have many different operations
... would you be interested on this kind of comparison?

Bergi: Yes, but I don't know the TD in detail,...

Mat: Any closing comments?

Next call as a joint call with oneM2M on August 31

Kaz: Possible agenda topics for the next call (as a joint call with oneM2M) will be discussed in the mail list
... Yingying is on vacation for short time, properly for one week

Mat: will send an email to gather agenda items to the group

Open Actions

-> https://www.w3.org/WoT/IG/track/actions/open Open actions

Mat: Please have a look at the action tracker, I put a link at the IRC, please update the tracker

[ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.147 (CVS log)
$Date: 2016/08/26 09:04:12 $