13 Jul 2015

See also: IRC log


Janina, Ayelet_Seeman, Neil_Milliken, John_Rochford, Chaohai_Ding, Lisa_Seeman, E._A._Draffan, MichaelC
Michael_Pluke, Deborah_Dahl, Anthony_Doran, Tim_Boland


<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

<Lisa_Seeman> scribe: ayelet_s

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/track/actions/open

E.A: wasn't sure what symbols John was referring to, as they already have free symbols online
... are in the process of mapping the different symbols

JR: was going to first look at open source symbols, so would be glad not to have what to do.

LS: do the symbols include symbols like save?

EAD: had separated communication symbols from icons.

LS: John is making icons for buttons, so that Ayelet and Chaohai have what to link to with the aria

EA: will send e-mail to group about the noun project

JR: will first look at the noun project. had agreed to also write/find the tooltips and the longer help text.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Providing_graded_help

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Interoperable_preference

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Personalization_criteria

LS: over the last 2 weeks, we found we didn't do as much as we thought we had, and we took another jab at it. there are some holes.
... one question is how to avoid restricted text. one suggestion is alternative text, and the other is an alternative text
... and the question is how to support it
... would someone want to work with me (LS) or by themselves on this, or would we rather list them as gaps?

AS: agreed to work on it with LS

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: Aylelet and lisa find gaps and put together plan for personizationcryteria and guided help support [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/07/13-coga-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Error finding 'Aylelet'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/track/users>.

continuing to review action items

LS: Issues from the list
... changing DS to ID, is unsure whether we passed a resolution regarding the user research. is slightly concerned as it is a real change

<Lisa_Seeman> https://w3c.github.io/wcag/coga/user-research.html#down-syndrome

LS: Debra Rue is fine with it, but the content, certainly the beginning section, is very DS

John: Has spent a lot of time adding content for ID, keeping the DS as an example
... basically already spent the time LS was concerned it will take

AS: +1

EAD: agrees with it

<JohnRochford> Ayelet, would you please document that decision?

resolution: changing the DS user research to ID

thanks John

LS: to change our name, we need to recharter the task force. Changing was discussed earlier regarding LD, which was a problem as it means different things in different countries.
... cognitive impairments could mean specific things to some people (such as MCI, a prestage of dementia). renaming ourselves is more complicated.
... neurodiversity is part of a political movement that is compatible with COGA, but is political

EAD: supports having it as an open issue. unfortunately, labeling is sometimes needed in order to provide help needed

MC: the W3C process isn't very complicated, the question should be who are we limiting and who are we including

JR: suggests cognitive impairment without the LD

LS: someone with ADHD for example, might not consider themselves cognitively impaired

<janina> "Cognitive Accessibility" is how we got COGA

NM: suggested just cognitive accessibility

EAD, AS liked it

LS: might seem related to cognitive computing or something else, and may offend some people

JR: whatever we do will offend or disinclude some people, and we need to be able to function anyway

<janina> The original use of "Accessibility" in IT had to do with being able to reach any telephone, anywhere, on any telco's system

<janina> Strong +1 to John

JR: we may as well do what's better for us

<janina> I'm concerned about neologisms

NM: many terms mean multiple things, including the term "accessibility" itself

<janina> Strong +1 to Michael

<janina> "Impairments" isn't traditional W3C/WAI usage, though

MC: doesn't think the task forces' name shouldn't necessarily be the highest priority

<janina> I would expect some pushback on that name change for the TF

<janina> It focueses on problems, not solutions

suggestion 1: cognitive impairments task force

LS: we are about to deliver some important deliverables, so now is a good time to change the name
... prefers cognitive accessibility

Janina: we have a long name, as well as a short one

resolution: will be put to the list

<neilmilliken> I have to go

LS: also suggests not spending much time undoing what we did

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Aylelet and lisa find gaps and put together plan for personizationcryteria and guided help support [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/07/13-coga-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/07/13 17:06:57 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: ayelet_s
Inferring ScribeNick: ayelet_s

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

Present: Janina Ayelet_Seeman Neil_Milliken John_Rochford Chaohai_Ding Lisa_Seeman E._A._Draffan MichaelC
Regrets: Michael_Pluke Deborah_Dahl Anthony_Doran Tim_Boland

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Got date from IRC log name: 13 Jul 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/07/13-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: aylelet

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]