18 May 2015

See also: IRC log


Chaohai_Ding, Tim_Boland, E.A._Draffan, John_Rochford, Deborah_Dahl, Jamie_Knight, Anthony_Doran, Michael_Pluke


<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

<Lisa_Seeman> MichaelC reminder we can not start the webex without you!

<Lisa_Seeman> or check the audio etc

<MichaelC> you should be able to

<MichaelC> 5 minutes before the call

<Lisa_Seeman> not giving em audio

<Lisa_Seeman> ayelet are you on webex

<Lisa_Seeman> audio is not working

i think we might need michael to join to have audio

<MichaelC> only see Ayelet on it

<Lisa_Seeman> I lgged back in

<Lisa_Seeman> now i seem to have audio

<Lisa_Seeman> scribe:ayelet_s

waiting for quorum

<Lisa_Seeman> next item

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/techniques/index.html

<Lisa_Seeman> https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/user-research/aging.html

LS: updated the techniques and aging.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/track/actions/open

LS: mid June, techniques should be ready for the next draft
... but we need E. A. and Niell's contributions, who aren't on the call
... could we close action items that were open for over a year?

MC: if they are no longer needed

LS: action 10 - is needed. will see if she could ping Suzanne to do it
... action 13 - review of aria - not needed, will be closed
... action 17: usability review, still needed
... Review daisy and epub - unneeded
... dyscalculia and numbers, neill and E.a. will add
... interoperable paper - Mike wrote 2 drafts, will consult before closing
... rich will Ask gotfreid if we can review urc
... Ayelet did initial check on harmonizing taxonomies, will continue working on the harmonization
... Check that litral or mefor is in the page of suggested aria sematics done

<Lisa_Seeman> next item

SVG meeting follow up

LS: had a concern - priority of helping SVG vs. giving the WCAG support deliverables

<Lisa_Seeman> June 7th: Release of 2nd editors draft of techniques - to include more techniques including for numbers and restructuring 31st July - Frease 1st Working Draft to go to WCAG and PF for approval for: Issue papers, Techniques, Gap analysis 31st August Editors draft of the roadmap 1st November Editors draft for information for WCAG 1st November 2nd Working Draft of user research module 1st...

<Lisa_Seeman> ...December Editors draft of the glossary

LS: deadlines are important because WCAG put in their deadlines having a COGA extension by november

RS: SVG might go slowly, and take pieces of it. have a lot to do about providing semantics for graphics and robots at the moment. if we have ideas for navigation, that will be welcome.

MC: in the short term, what will be done will be more in the category of techniques. the rest is further down the road
... so far, nothing SVG specific
... gap analysis originally against WCAG.

LS: it will need a phase 2

<Lisa_Seeman> next item

<Lisa_Seeman> next item

discussion: when will aria modules be ready

right term for aria "function"

<MichaelC> Draft ARIA charter

<Lisa_Seeman> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cognitive-a11y-tf/2015May/0046.html

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Syntax_for_adaptable_links_and_buttons

In terms of charter: if the coga group splits, we will joint work between groups


LS: the idea is to have aria like semantics where people could list the function/task, importance, numbers free alterntive text, etc.

Rich: wouldn't make it a role, but aria-function, or aria-task

LS: prefers the term function, in case we need the term task later on

<Lisa_Seeman> prosal for aria-function

<Lisa_Seeman> +1

does anyone object or has alternative suggestions?


RS: will be a joint deliverable for the aria group and whichever group COGA is joined to


<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: Lisa to right up the aria proposal as requirment and add aria-function [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/05/18-coga-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-104 - Right up the aria proposal as requirment and add aria-function [on Lisa Seeman - due 2015-05-25].

will need 1) aria-function; 2) aria-importance; 3) number free text, 4) non literal

<richardschwerdtfeger> http://www.w3.org/2015/04/draft-aria-charter

MC: should focus on on requirements rather than semantics

Rich: timelines - in charter, working draft by 2017

LS: need it by November 2015, as WCAG need it for then

if we don't push for that day, any changes will be in next version

RS: need it to be reviewed by both groups by that date

LS: 1st public working draft by Nov 2015
... we have 5 volunteers making JSON scripts, including out of W3C
... believes it will take one year further
... November 2015: first working draft. November 2016: CR

RS: do you believe it will go quickly from CR to recommendation?

LS: 5 different organisations implementing

Janina: better early than late, so better be careful with the dates

LS: fine with longer gap between 1st working draft and CR

Michael: how long will it be in CR?

RS: guess 6 months - August 2017

1st public working draft: november 2015. CR draft: January 2017. PR draft: Jan 2018.

PR: May 2018. gives longer for multiple CRs

Michael: April 2018 for recommendation

LS: concerned with wcag

MC: wcag recommends techniques twice a year
... timelines for WCAG extensions are seperate issue

LS: concerned with WCAG extensions. could they use techniques in working draft

<richardschwerdtfeger> Rich: Regrets for next 2 weeks as I am on vacation

MC: it will be in recommendations. we could have recommendations not dependant on aria

LS: such techniques will be horrible

MC: wcag had some horrible techniques. strongly disrecommends teqhniques that rely only on one technology

LS: would like aria to see how much it could be synched

<Lisa_Seeman> MC: do not depend on one technology for wcag

<Lisa_Seeman> SC

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Lisa to right up the aria proposal as requirment and add aria-function [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2015/05/18-coga-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/05/18 17:03:27 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: ayelet_s
Inferring ScribeNick: ayelet_s
Present: Janina

WARNING: Fewer than 3 people found for Present list!

Regrets: Chaohai_Ding Tim_Boland E.A._Draffan John_Rochford Deborah_Dahl Jamie_Knight Anthony_Doran Michael_Pluke

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Got date from IRC log name: 18 May 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/05/18-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: lisa

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]