Cognitive Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

16 Mar 2015

See also: IRC log




<trackbot> Date: 16 March 2015

<Tony_Doran> Is anyone having issues with the con call?

<slee> Lisa_Seeman: joining now - sorry late

<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Syntax_for_adaptable_symbols_for_links_and_buttons

Lisa: Leoni had a lovely presentation she sent to the list, and I put out an issue paper for syntax and adaptable symbols.
... For COGA users, familiarity is a big deal.

<slee> JohnRochford: how do we help make new things familiar?

Lisa: Symbols and buttons need to be consistent.
... A type of ARIA button could be composed, and users could choose their preference.
... Interoperable symbol sets could be used.
... Adaptive interfaces could cut down a lot of junk.
... Have important features at top for everyone to find.

Leoni: Trying to find solutions to complex web widgets, which are often different, and don't have help features.

<LJWatson> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/573324/presentations/CSUN2015/INotifier/index.html

Leoni: Alt+F1 suggested.

<slee> That's the link I also sent to the list

Leoni: I could get into technicalities of how this could work.

slee: Perhaps the help could be associated with help other than text help, such as in the DOM.

Lisa: The aged are going to have difficulty with inconsistent interfaces along with comorbid trouble, such as poor eye sight.

<ea> They do not waste time staying on a site they cannot access - same for elderly with visual difficulties - give up!

Lisa: How is the help implemented: cloud, client, or server?

Leoni: It's implemented through HTML, JASON, etc. - up to the developer.
... JASON file is where the keys are mapped to the help information.

Lisa: Anybody have comments about symbols paper?

EA: Several orgs have produced systems where you point to a word and up pops a symbol.
... English is so complex that it's difficult to determine meaning and, thus, the right symbols.
... TTS engines have difficulty determining pronunciations, such as with "read" and "read" / ("red").

Lisa: There are symbols difficulties caused by how people have grown up learning them, and by copywrites.

Correction: copyrights

EA: Were going to have a go at having every entry to have a unique identifier.
... Every symbol company has its own interface.

Steve: Will these companies be willing to work with open standards?

<Tony_Doran_> I can actually hear the call now sorry. Talk talk router now in bin.

dog barking


<Lisa_Seeman> :)

Steve: Symbols are very important for COGA users. Should we get someone else in who knows about it?

Lisa: Perhaps EA and Steve could suggest someone to join us at the FTF to talk with us for an hour.

<slee> http://www.communicationmatters.org.uk/

<slee> see symbols when you hover over a word

Steve: I suggest Communication Matters.

<ea> so sorry about dog... dealt with now!

<Tony_Doran_> I have not quit - still here

<Tony_Doran_> ping is awful

<Lisa_Seeman> very cool steve

Tony: From an industry standpoint, a single, unified, symbol set would be best.

<ea> worth a dollar! PCS State side and Widgit UK side plus Symbol Stix and Sclera and ARASAAC in Europe

Lisa: What interoperable symbol sets are available?
... We should identify them.

<Tony_Doran_> We also use a sanitised version of wordnet in some products - pretty popular

Lisa: We are talking about setting up a mechanism for symbol-set implementation.

<ea> Look at a Symbol set that is already available such as ARASAAC that would allow us to see if we could map the symbol concepts to lexical concepts - words and phrases.

Lisa: Such a mechanism would work with different symbol sets people can understand.

<ea> Try Arabic Tony :>))

<neilmilliken> q

Neil, do you mean q+?

<neilmilliken> yes

<Tony_Doran_> Lisa - that will be Weds - tmrw is St Pats, I will be otherwise engaged ;)

<Lisa_Seeman> enjoy

Lisa, I have to drop off now.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.140 (CVS log)
$Date: 2015/03/16 17:10:52 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.140  of Date: 2014-11-06 18:16:30  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: JohnRochford
Inferring Scribes: JohnRochford

WARNING: No "Topic:" lines found.

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Chaohai_Ding Correction EA IPcaller JohnRochford LJWatson Leoni Lisa Lisa_Seeman MichaelC Mike_Pluke P15 Steve Tony Tony_Doran Tony_Doran_ aa aaaa aabb aacc aadd coga ddahl https janina joined neilmilliken slee trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 16 Mar 2015
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2015/03/16-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: No "Topic: ..." lines found!  
Resulting HTML may have an empty (invalid) <ol>...</ol>.

Explanation: "Topic: ..." lines are used to indicate the start of 
new discussion topics or agenda items, such as:
<dbooth> Topic: Review of Amy's report

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]