W3C

- DRAFT -

Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

21 Aug 2014

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
+1.857.300.aabb, +7.495.974.aaaa, Anssi_Kostiainen, Cathy_Chan, Frederick_Hirsch, Ilya_Bogdanovich, Mats_Wichmann, anssik, dom, mats, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux
Regrets
Giri_Mandyam
Chair
Frederick_Hirsch
Scribe
fjh

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 21 August 2014

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

Reminder, TPAC registration is open (however, DAP has no plans to meet) http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

News related to W3C process updates. For specs apart from wake lock we will continue to use old process.

see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0012.html and http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0030.html

anssik: regarding process change, ReSpec has flag which refers to which process version
... fyi, one line config change in ReSpec to deal with process version

Minutes approval

Approve minutes from 7 August 2014

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/att-0014/minutes-2014-08-07.html

RESOLUTION: Minutes from 7 August 2014 are approved

CfC for CR publication of HTML Media Capture, Light, Vibration

CfC, ends 21 Aug: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0016.html

Planned CR publication on 28 August 2014

Please respond on list

fjh: Anssi, thanks for preparing the CR drafts, see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0048.html

anssi: yes, please all take a look make sure it is ok

fjh: will need director transition call to progress

<scribe> ACTION: dom to arrange Director transition call for CR for HTML Media Capture, Light, Vibration before 28 Aug planned publication date [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-711 - Arrange director transition call for cr for html media capture, light, vibration before 28 aug planned publication date [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due 2014-08-28].

fjh: i don’t believe any non-substantive changes apart from status section
... language in HTML Media Capture status says “There have been no substantive changes"
... were there any?

anssi: some references had case changes etc

fjh: ok, will look at diff more closely
... everyone please take a look, respond to CfC on list

CfC for LC Battery publication

CfC, ends 21 Aug,: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0037.html

Please include draft changes subsequent to CfC email in considering CfC: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0046.html

Please respond on list, indicating support, including these updates (with [CfC battery] in subject)

fjh: anssi prepared LC draft, please review http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0049.html

dom: may not need transition call, but need to review that, may not be able to do by 28 Aug

<dom> [we need a transition request first and foremost]

fjh: Need formal transition request, explain what happened resolution from LC, then Dom can use that to determine with Director whether we need a call
... I will make transition request after CfC completes. Let’s keep the publication date until we have better information.
... would like to see if we can all publications together but will determine that later, no transition request

Charter planning

fjh: how extensive do we want to be about revising the charter, tweak or major rewrite

dom: if we don’t change it can just extend it
... otherwise need to recharter, or if we want to define a mechanism for adding new deliverables ore easily
... this could be a good idea, but a CfC might not be sufficient for adding deliverables, could try it
... haven’t seen new deliverables

<dom> dom: HTML has extensions specs; CSS may also have a mechanism

<dom> ... WebApps can get stuff from HTML WG

<dom> ... I'll take an action item to look more into this

<dom> ACTION: Dom to look into chartering extensibility [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-712 - Look into chartering extensibility [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due 2014-08-28].

Wake Lock

<fjh_> plan to progress wake lock under current charter: see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0035.html

<fjh_> support has been noted on mail list:

<fjh_> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0036.html

<fjh_> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0043.html

<fjh_> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0045.html

<fjh_> Use cases published as W3C Note, please note: http://www.w3.org/TR/wake-lock-use-cases/

<fjh_> Editors draft status and next steps

Test update

<fjh_> Vibration status update? http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0019.html

<fjh_> fjh: anssi, did you get any response

<fjh_> anssik: no, will need to check with him

<dom> http://www.w3.org/TR/discovery-api/

<anssik> pub history: http://www.w3.org/standards/history/discovery-api

<scribe> ACTION: fjh to follow up on status of Network Service Discovery and plans going forward, also Named Web Sockets [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-713 - Follow up on status of network service discovery and plans going forward, also named web sockets [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2014-08-28].

fjh: ok to postpone NSD issues since we’ve stopped NSD

dom: it is a WD not a Note

fjh: a, right, so we need to decide whether to continue work or publish note

dom: also need to review where we are with Named Web Sockets

<anssik> asked if BroadcastChannel addresses the same use cases as Named Web Sockets proposal

fjh: will take action to follow up, we should resolve; my impression is that we had stopped work on NSD but we need to be more formal about it

<anssik> also, would like to know if implementers are aware and/or interested in experimenting with NWS

dom: should check on implementer interest

<anssik> both Firefox and Chrome are experimenting with BroadcastChannel IIRC

do you have a link?

<anssik> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/comms.html#broadcasting-to-other-browsing-contexts

anssik: probably in html nightly as well

Action review

ACTION-706?

<trackbot> ACTION-706 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Add resolution to lc-2945 to draft -- due 2014-08-14 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/706

close ACTION-706

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-706.

<ilya> no questions

<ilya> bye

close ACTION-705

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-705.

close ACTION-707

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-707.

ACTION-705?

<trackbot> ACTION-705 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Add warning to Battery API that (naive) implementation of API could negatively affect battery life -- due 2014-08-11 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/705

ACTION-707?

<trackbot> ACTION-707 -- Frederick Hirsch to Send cfc for cr for html media capture, ambient light events, vibration api -- due 2014-08-14 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/707

action-708?

<trackbot> action-708 -- Anssi Kostiainen to to ask zhiqiang to complete vibration tests -- due 2014-08-14 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/708

open ACTION-708

close ACTION-708

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-708.

action-709?

<trackbot> action-709 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Follow upon on issue-166 and http://lists.w3.org/archives/public/public-device-apis/2014jul/0003.html -- due 2014-08-14 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/709

close ACTION-709?

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-709.

action-710?

<trackbot> action-710 -- Anssi Kostiainen to Look at issue-168 http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/168 -- due 2014-08-14 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/710

close ACTION-710

<trackbot> Closed ACTION-710.

fjh: only open actions are those assigned at today’s meeting: Dom to arrange transition call, look into chartering extensibility, Frederick to follow up on NSD and Named Web Sockets

Issues

fjh: only open issues are for NSD
... will move all these issues to postponed

Other Business

Next meeting, scheduled for 4 Sept, http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html#upcoming-teleconferences

Adjourn

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: dom to arrange Director transition call for CR for HTML Media Capture, Light, Vibration before 28 Aug planned publication date [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Dom to look into chartering extensibility [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: fjh to follow up on status of Network Service Discovery and plans going forward, also Named Web Sockets [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html#action03]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-08-21 14:59:18 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/None//
Succeeded: s/it is Ilya//
Succeeded: s/process change, ReSpec/regarding process change, ReSpec/
Found ScribeNick: fjh
Inferring Scribes: fjh
Default Present: mats, anssik, +7.495.974.aaaa, Frederick_Hirsch, Cathy, +1.857.300.aabb, dom
Present: +1.857.300.aabb +7.495.974.aaaa Anssi_Kostiainen Cathy_Chan Frederick_Hirsch Ilya_Bogdanovich Mats_Wichmann anssik dom mats Dominique_Hazael-Massieux
Regrets: Giri_Mandyam
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2014Aug/0047.html
Found Date: 21 Aug 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/08/21-dap-minutes.html
People with action items: dom fjh

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]