Cognitive Task Force

09 Jun 2014

See also: IRC log


Lisa_Seeman, Neil, tony_doran, Mary_Jo_Mueller, slee?, Debbie_Dahl, +1.512.659.aacc, Susann_Keohane
EA_Draffan, John_Rochford, Tim_Boland, maybe_Liddy


<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

<Lisa_Seeman> chair: Lisa_Seeman

<Lisa_Seeman> agenda: this

<Tony_Doran> Hi Folks - British Telecom are in my street at the moment, my connection has been flakey for the last hour and landline phone

<Lisa_Seeman> sorry to here that...

<Tony_Doran> Apologies if I drop out

<Tony_Doran> Anytime I see a BT van I know someone is in for some fun :)

<Lisa_Seeman> :)

<Lisa_Seeman> That is one way to look at it

<Lisa_Seeman> r u calling in?

<Tony_Doran> Trying to now

<neilmilliken> +44.203.618.aabb is neilmilliken

<slee> Hi folks - can I be included?

<Lisa_Seeman> hi steve _

<Lisa_Seeman> steve can u call in

<slee> oops forgot it's Zakim

<scribe> scribe: MaryJo

set scribe

review actions, groups

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/track/actions/

LS: We'll have to start setting schedules for our disability groups, as no one on the call has any progress to note.
... Action item is a review of APIP to analyze that research, but Suzanne Taylor isn't on the call.

think about schedules, tpac

LS: Scheduling is a process. We need to do the gap analysis and the WCAG and PF working groups will need to review it.

<neilmilliken> We've been working with John Rochford on Autism - we have made progress on user scenarios.

LS: They are wondering where we are at in our work and when we'll have something for them to review.
... We need to analyze what is missing. We need to know when each sub-group will have a draft of the gap analysis.
... Lisa is willing to help pull together the drafts to bring forward to the working groups.
... Needs group input to set up a schedule.

NM: Perhaps we can provide the work we've done so far into manageable pieces to send to the working groups to review, instead of waiting to have everything ready.

LS: GPII and Access for All work should be written up in the wiki like we did with APII.
... With a view of how we can use it in the future cognitive work.

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: Lisa ping steve on actions on GPII and access 4 all review [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-12 - Ping steve on actions on gpii and access 4 all review [on Lisa Seeman - due 2014-06-16].

Steve: Can get a draft out in about two weeks.

LS: For Neil's suggestion, need to put together a schedule for the literary review and the useful technologies and then the other gap analysis sections can come later.
... What should be in the background research sections?
... There are 5 sections to the gap analysis, so the background research is for the analysis of the use cases. When should we target those sections being complete?
... Question raised about how in-depth these research sections should be. The dyslexia and discalculia sections can be used as a guide.
... This is a high level discussion of research areas, and in-depth analysis in user stories of these users when they use technology and the web.
... Technology analysis can also be high level with links. The analysis of the challenges should be more in-depth.

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Gap_Analysis/Dyslexia

DD: Break up the work into what we want to publish first, and then later publish what we want to add.

NM: Have done some work regarding different cognitive difficulties around autism and for dementia and aging and need access to the wiki.

<Zakim> ddahl, you wanted to ask if we plan to publish several drafts as we collect sections

NM: Not sure how to chunk the sections and what will be due when or if we should draft everything to get initial feedback.

LS: Would like to put out a first draft of section 2 in three months.
... That means that we would have an internal review in 6 weeks and have time to incorporate our group's feedback before publishing the draft.
... We'll need group buy-in on this, so will send out an email to the TF.

<Tony_Doran> I am sorry call is dropping a lot

<slee> what is that? KeyPac?

LS: We should try to do a F2F at TPAC, or else schedule another F2F. TPAC is the end of October, but we'll have trouble getting a meeting room.
... If we could meet the day before TPAC or day after that would be good. Should we meet before TPAC since it is 4 months away?

<slee> MaryJo: So it's "TPAC" thanks

NM: TPAC will probably be the best timing since people will be on holiday in August.

user group findings (if ready)

LS: W3C is using GitHub more than the wiki for the documents. Should we switch to GitHub?
... Some people don't like the wiki, so we could check into porting over to GitHub.
... Will check to see if this is an option

what other technologies and approaches should we be reviewing

<slee> I don;t see the direct relationship between a wiki (shared doc) and git hub (version control + issues + web pages)

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: cynthia do review aria [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-13 - Do review aria [on Cynthia Shelly - due 2014-06-16].

LS: Possibly IDSA, WAI-ARIA (Cynthia Shelly), Fluid (Rich)

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: rich review fluid [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-14 - Review fluid [on Richard Schwerdtfeger - due 2014-06-16].

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: lisa review RDFA [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-15 - Review rdfa [on Lisa Seeman - due 2014-06-16].

SK: For user groups - Will be looking into ADD/ADHD with Mary Jo, but haven't gotten started yet.

<neilmilliken> Liddy was talking about globish

DD: We could look at speech and language technologies that do language simplification. These may not be mature enough today, but are maturing.

<Tony_Doran> Agree on the simplification

<Tony_Doran> Summarisation has moved a fair bit in the last few years

DD: There are also summarization technologies that are better than language simplification, readability calculations, and others.

<Lisa_Seeman> ACTION: ddahl: simplification tech review [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-16 - Simplification tech review [on Deborah Dahl - due 2014-06-16].

<neilmilliken> tony are you volunteering :-)?

DD: These technologies could be helpful for cognitive disabilities, such as dyslexia.

<Lisa_Seeman> tony do you want to review how reading level measurements help ?

NM: There's a lot of technologies out there that we may not be aware of. May need to put out a note to wider group to gather knowledge about that.

<neilmilliken> https://webmail.it-solutions.atos.net/owa/redir.aspx?C=K-Qzlbd740C2MsOQXYTnUmgz_gaTV9EIMWCcvYEFPrZ6bakstZSwamR0zM96YFW75Mq_Y1tXQIs.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.alltogetherwecan.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2014%2f05%2fiPad-Apps-for-Complex-Communication-Support-Needs.pdf

LS: Need someone to look into IndieUI as well.

<Lisa_Seeman> http://accessibility.athena-ict.com/TechniquesCOGA.html

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Good_and_bad_practices

<neilmilliken> http://www.thoughtworks.com/radar/#/

<neilmilliken> http://www.alltogetherwecan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/iPad-Apps-for-Complex-Communication-Support-Needs.pdf

continuation of discussion on how to present techniques

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/cognitive-a11y-tf/wiki/Good_and_bad_practices

<Lisa_Seeman> http://accessibility.athena-ict.com/TechniquesCOGA.html

LS: The second link has a more traditional heading structure.
... As we go through the user groups and begin coming up with techniqes to help, this is a draft about how to possibly document them.
... This is more about cognitive functions rather than disability names.

<Tony_Doran> Sorry folks my call dropped and I can't get back in as it's late

LS: Would like to get feedback on which structure/way to document is better. There is a list of WCAG criteria that would need to be met to address the user needs of people with cognitive disabilities.
... It would be used to collect ideas as we are working on our disability type, so we don't lose these types of thoughts as we are working.
... We aren't working on making this complete just yet.

<neilmilliken> I have to go now see you next week

<Lisa_Seeman> https://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=67703&public=1

<slee> Thanks all

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: cynthia do review aria [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: ddahl: simplification tech review [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Lisa ping steve on actions on GPII and access 4 all review [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: lisa review RDFA [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: rich review fluid [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html#action03]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014/06/09 20:02:08 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/will have a draft/will have a draft of the gap analysis/
Succeeded: s/Shelley/Shelly/
Succeeded: s/hasn't/haven't/
Succeeded: s/mesurements/measurements/
Succeeded: s/The second link/LS: The second link/
Found Scribe: MaryJo
Inferring ScribeNick: MaryJo
Default Present: Lisa_Seeman, Neil, tony_doran, Mary_Jo_Mueller, slee?, Debbie_Dahl, +1.512.659.aacc, Susann_Keohane
Present: Lisa_Seeman Neil tony_doran Mary_Jo_Mueller slee? Debbie_Dahl +1.512.659.aacc Susann_Keohane
Regrets: EA_Draffan John_Rochford Tim_Boland maybe_Liddy
Got date from IRC log name: 09 Jun 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/06/09-coga-minutes.html
People with action items: cynthia ddahl lisa rich

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]