W3C

- DRAFT -

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference

25 Mar 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Joshue, Michael_Cooper, +1.617.766.aaaa, AWK, +1.703.637.aabb, Bruce_Bailey, +1.703.825.aacc, +1.910.278.aadd, Jon_Avila, kathleen
Regrets
Chair
AWK
Scribe
AWK

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 25 March 2014

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Working_Group_Techniques_Development_Assignments

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Comments_Needing_Responses

<BarryJohnson> IRC for now, phone as soon as I can.

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Scribe_List

Follow-up from WCAG F2F at CSUN and review of actions.

<jon_avila> awk: f2f went well, 12 people in room. Some tf members joined us and some other guests. Quite successfully day of work.

<jon_avila> awk: f2f highlighted some key things that we need to pay attention to: updates from mobile and cognitive TF. Need to update and clarify techniques process.

<BarryJohnson> Sorry I had to miss it, it would have been nice to see you guys.

<jon_avila> awk: Judy introduced concept of WAI 2020 -- also discussed in open public sessions. Not doing a lot of talking about it now -- but basically the WG needs to figure out the state of guidelines in 5 to 10 years.

<Joshue> +q

<jon_avila> awk: General idea that WCAG 2 is in good shape. Change is always going on in technology. We need to kick off discussions around where WCAG guidelines need to be.

<jon_avila> awk: date was picked for convenient date not necessarily because we need a new set of guidelines in 2020.

<jon_avila> awk: need to set up webinars and listening sessions to get people's feedback from around the world, Australia, US, Europe, etc.

<Joshue> -q

<Joshue> +q to ask of a quick overview of what Judy said about WAI2020 on Weds

<jon_avila> awk: did ask for people who could craft proposal that the WCAG WG would then share with other groups as this isn't just a WCAG WG item.

<jon_avila> awk: call to see if others have interest in being involved - call for how we might solicit information in proposal form.

<Zakim> Joshue, you wanted to ask of a quick overview of what Judy said about WAI2020 on Weds

<jon_avila> jo: asks if anyone did hear Judy's public session. Others missed it too.

<jon_avila> awk: WAI 2020 was broad overview, not making any promises, but recognize that future will be different and that we will be prepared for it.

<jon_avila> awk: WAI2020 is also about UAAG -- it may be modular approach -- not just about WCAG. That is the call to action.

<jon_avila> awk: talked about source format in f2f - no clear decision made in f2f -- will bring it up. Andrew will provide a template for what a new technique in the source format will look like.

<jon_avila> awk: Goal to have more people working on techniques and working in source format. At this time the format is more complex than necessary for people to easily dive in.

<jon_avila> awk: Josh is going to clarify how SC relate to techniques and clarify accessibility support and get working to clarify SC importance over techniques

<jon_avila> awk: do need to figure out concept of accessibility supported and how we deal with it. People approached AWK with challenges because there is a lot the person couldn't do because the support with regional screen readers.

<jon_avila> awk: e.g. PC talker screen reader used in Japan has limitations for data tables. Historically, our accessibility support language has been focused on English based assistive technologies.

<MichaelC> trackbot, status?

<Joshue> +q

<jon_avila> kw: did a session on accessibility support. Some thoughts on looking to APIs as well as looking at AT testing. More aspects around different levels of support -- business need guidance to make decisions.

<jon_avila> jo: would be good for all in the group to know how screen readers work. Good to know APIs and interoperibility.

<jon_avila> I also did a presentation at CSUN that I could share on this topic.

ACTION Joshue to work with Kathy on increasing WG knowledge of how AT and IT work together.

<trackbot> Created ACTION-247 - Work with kathy on increasing wg knowledge of how at and it work together. [on Joshue O Connor - due 2014-04-01].

<Kathy> I can still here you

<jon_avila> sp: AT and browsers have weaknesses and work different. What can we say differently. We have a guidance note. What do we want to say differently? It's hard to be more specific. Look for weaknesses.

<jon_avila> yes

<jon_avila> ka: Asked why PC Talker is used more than other AT is Japan?

<jon_avila> awk: it's traditionally had leadership role in the market in Japan. People may still use NVDA when they need to interact with more complex content. Not sure on cost of PC Talker. Do free tools change how people think about it.

<kathleen> ping

Template: b. https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Technique_Template

Loretta's notes on writing techniques: c. https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Writing_WCAG_Techniques_-_Notes

<jon_avila> awk: Loretta went around advise around writing techniques in the f2f. Anyone who wants to use Github and XML to write techniques. AWK will write a guide.

<jon_avila> awk: most people should still use Wiki and template on wiki. 1st login, if you are WG you have wiki access.

<jon_avila> awk: Copy template, create a new page, then write content. Use Loretta's document as a guide. Tells you what to write in description, status, AT notes, test procedures, etc.

https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Working_Group_Techniques_Development_Assignments

<jon_avila> awk: 62 different techniques we are looking for people to sign up for. Some people have signed up -- but additional techniques still need people. Some people have not signed up yet.

<jon_avila> awk: briefly walk through page and ask people nicely to sign up. If people don't sign up, WG will speak to people individually about signing up for a technique. The WG commitment is greater than just the call.

<jon_avila> awk: pick 2 or 3 techniques that you are interested in. Edit the wiki table to add your name or initials that are unique.

<jon_avila> awk: Techniques are broken up by category such as CSS, HTML, general, etc.

<jon_avila> awk: people who signed up for ARIA techniques are generally on techniques TF and some of those people (James or Loretta) may accept your help.

<jon_avila> kw: Some techniques are related to mobile techniques.

<jon_avila> ja: asks how the list of techniques was created as some seem like duplicates.

<jon_avila> awk: some parts are more thuroughly vetted than others. If there is a technique that already exists.

<jon_avila> awk: people can also sign up for new techniques.

<jon_avila> awk: techniques should be vetted first and we may just need to update an existing technique.

<jon_avila> awk: Page is meant to help us track status of techniques. Start to indicate how far you are through each technique. Make text in technique column link to technique. Then complete each column as you finish the sections of the technique.

<jon_avila> awk: We will look at it first and then we will put it out to survey when it is ready for review. Then it will be approved and then added to source documents -- then it will be complete.

<jon_avila> ka: g203 is an existing technique for static text to describe talking head videos.

<kathleen> http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140311/G203

<jon_avila> awk: cull herd as much as possible for techniques that have already been addressed.

<jon_avila> sp: Offers to take ARIA region role.

<jon_avila> awk: explains how to edit entire page versions editing sections because there is a heading structure.

<jon_avila> jo: per person preference settings to turn off multiple edits.

<jon_avila> awk: some techniques like ARIA ones have samples already. Start by HTML and ARIA task force. If it says unassigned it's clear to take. If it's assigned to someone else -- ask if you could assist.

<jon_avila> awk: one thing that we talked about at the f2f was the differences between the task forces.

<Joshue> + q

<Joshue> +q

<jon_avila> awk: The techniques TF call could be a working call --try for a few weeks. The time is 4pm ET US.

<Joshue> -q

<Joshue> +1 to no minutes

<jon_avila> awk: would be a Thursday call could be this week.

<Loretta> I wont be able to make this week.

The call is Thursday at 4pm Eastern. IRC is #WAI-WCAG

<jon_avila> jn: informal call. Use same wai-wg channel.

Call ID is 9224

ok, use #wcag-techs

<jon_avila> jn: proposed creating a wiki page for which techniques the TF looked at.

<jon_avila> mc: Wiki page will help in showing that the work is progressing. Want to make sure the work is tracked and planning on what the TF will be working on.

<jon_avila> jn: Create agenda wiki page so people can post things that will be discussed in the call. JN to put wiki page together before the call.

<jon_avila> awk: AWK to join Thursday call - call will evolve -- will spend some time working on techniques.

https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Comments_Needing_Responses

<jon_avila> awk: have received some responses. Would like people to look at 2. We want to get a survey so we can move on.

https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/35422/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20140107/2894

<jamesn> Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.

<jamesn> (Cannot contact the database server)

<jon_avila> awk: Comment from Australia commenter on PDF. AWK fixed. Response is thank you, and we have updated with updated examples. Straight forward response.

<jon_avila> awk: want WG to official accept response back saying thank you. Examples were updated.

<jon_avila> awk: any objections to proposal?

<jon_avila> RESOLUTION: accepted as proposed for LC-2894

https://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/35422/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20140107/2906

<scribe> Scribe: AWK

<jon_avila> awk: lc 2906 up next.

LC 2906

Jon: technique with FG and BG colors

5 examples

first two used deprecated examples

last 3 examples used CSS

commenter suggests removing the first two examples and keep last three

<Joshue> +q

<Joshue> -q

Kathy still sees color and bgcolor attributes used

<kathleen> +1

AWK and Jon will make minor edits

RESOLUTION: Leave open

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-03-25 16:26:08 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: AWK
Inferring ScribeNick: AWK
Default Present: Joshue, Michael_Cooper, +1.617.766.aaaa, AWK, +1.703.637.aabb, Bruce_Bailey, +1.703.825.aacc, +1.910.278.aadd, Jon_Avila, kathleen
Present: Joshue Michael_Cooper +1.617.766.aaaa AWK +1.703.637.aabb Bruce_Bailey +1.703.825.aacc +1.910.278.aadd Jon_Avila kathleen
Found Date: 25 Mar 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/03/25-wai-wcag-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]