W3C

- DRAFT -

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference

11 Mar 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Joshue, Katie_Haritos-Shea, AWK, jon_avila, +31.30.239.aaaa, +1.703.825.aabb, adam_solomon, John_Foliot, Wilco, Sailesh
Regrets
Kathleen, Bruce, Adam_Z, DavidMacD, Bruce_Bailey, Kerstin_Probiesch, Kathleen_Anderson
Chair
Joshue
Scribe
jon_avila

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 11 March 2014

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/11thMarch_2014/

<AWK> Chair: Joshue

<BarryJohnson> Sorry, no phone today, but will follow IRC Chat

<AWK> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Scribe_List

Draft responses for March 11th, 2014

Publication Update

jo: publication update release of WCAG supporting documents

<Loretta> Congratulations, Josh and Andrew!

<Joshue> http://www.w3.org/blog/2014/03/wcag-techniques-for-image-text-alternatives/

Awk: two blog posts for ARIA10 and F65, read and point people to
... new set of documents for techniques that are available and highlights that make it significant, ARIA techniques, and switch over to Github

Review WCAG errata (http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/errata/)

jo: good job everyone; updated documents; brilliant, thanks awk
... hae some errata to review, no substantive, some editorial;

awk: already surveyed and approved by working group; just wanted to mention to people and review; can publish edited version of WCAG 2 standard; escalate awareness

<Joshue> KHS: Are we going to go into errata stuff now?

khs: possibility of moving high contrast to level A

jo: that would be substantial; 9 items in link provided

<Joshue> http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/errata/

khs: important to talk about contrast

jo: Errata 1 - 1.1.1 - any objections to proposed?

awk: not trying to get all of them re-approved; want people to be familiar to respond from an informed perspective

<Loretta> Looks fine to me.

<AWK> JO: gives group a minute to review errata items 1-9

<JF> +1 to the Errata stuff - looks good, bravo

jo: ok, editorial changes only; moving on.

Review available techniques (https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Working_Group_Techniques_Development_Assignments)

awk: tables used for techniques editing on wiki; techniques task force made list and progress to date; integrated in table
... Names are already assigned to some techniques; some people may need to take on something not complete or assigned to person that is not currently active on TF
... question on firmness of names assigned to techniques;

ka: techniques can be re-assigned to different people

awk: Techniques TF be group that can help when we get stuck; figure out process; each row has technique; who assigned to; prioritization -- TBD; general items within a technique
... Space for original technique if modified; awk to add column for comment -- the idea is to give us a dashboard for tracking where we are at.
... add to survey once items are complete to find out how WG wants to respond.
... some new techniques, some modifications, ask everyone to sign up for two or three of these. If you have idea for a new one, feel free to add one.

jo: if new tech -- ping awk or JO or list, leave editing table to AWK or JO

jf: where do code examples and test procedures live? I'm trying to get hack-a-thon done at CSUN - could write on Saturday.

awk: additional instructions for where to write them to come - some are authored in wiki -- directly as links initially authored in wiki (goal to make it clear that author them in Github)
... techniques to be pull requests in github to allow for less editing. Currently have a source format -- could be more user friendly -- one goal at f2f to reformat for editing.

jf: request awk to put github info on wiki page; JF to grab some of these cases.

<AWK> ACTION: AWK to remember to not forget to update the https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Working_Group_Techniques_Development_Assignments page with how-to information [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/11-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-240 - Remember to not forget to update the https://www.w3.org/wai/gl/wiki/working_group_techniques_development_assignments page with how-to information [on Andrew Kirkpatrick - due 2014-03-18].

<Joshue> ACTION: Josh to update WG techs wiki with general how to info. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/11-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-241 - Update wg techs wiki with general how to info. [on Joshue O Connor - due 2014-03-18].

marc: question on how to find links for wiki pages

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Comments_Needing_Responses

<Kathy> I added my name to a few of them

jo: ask for people to take some techniques

kw: should we include techniques in mobile task force?

jo: question to discuss on how we define relationships, awk?

awk: talk about mobile techniques- no answer yet.

<Joshue> +q

kw: Mobile TF talking about new techniques and changes to techniques -- it will get complex

jo: definitely be a mobile component -- error on the side of not creating really long document

kw: provide link to mobile page from techniques to see what each task force is working on

mc: create links to the work of each TF's techniques they are currently working on.

<Joshue> https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Working_Group_Techniques_Development_Assignments

jo: complete list at f2f - try to get people to comment on list

jf: send out note to list to get people to respond and then action item for f2f

<AWK> AWK will send a reminder to the list that everyone should sign up for 2-3 techniques before next week.

jo: people can cooperate on techniques, thanks to awk for putting it together.

Call for collecting information published by others on WCAG 2.0 related to concerns or needed improvements

awk: f2f will address how to write good techniques to allow people to get through process to get WG approval - Loretta is excellent guide on this topic.

jo: next item is to get other info people have published on wcag - aggregate overviews, comments, thoughts, etc. on what's right and wrong.

<AWK> If people know about a blog post/article/etc on this topic please add to https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Post_WCAG_2

awk: talk about post wcag page - need to collection of all comments, please put on the wiki page just shared on irc

Draft responses for March 11th, 2014

jo: any comments or questions about current topic? None heard.

<MichaelC> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/11thMarch_2014/results

jo: lc2882 discussed comments from survey
... any objection to adding Loretta's suggested text?

awk: we already accepted last week, can be edited

jo: this is a clarification on what something means to be deprecated?
... Accept LC2882 - no objections

as: was not strong enough for keyboard users?

<Joshue> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/H69.html

LC-2882: Add a warning about the poor support for this technique h69

as: lc2882 text ok

<AWK> RESOLUTION: Accepted as amended

Comment LC-2884: This technique should be generalized h90

jo: discussion of survey results for lc2884

awk: incorporate option 2 as proposed amended - could add additional technique h90

jo: can all see awk's updated text in survey? Maybe to long. Any objection?

RESOLUTION: Accepted as amended

Comment LC-2877: The technique should mention input type = file

<Joshue> http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/35422/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20140107/2877

lgr: could leave open to get input from Cynthia
... no need to contact Cynthia

jo: genuine oversight -

awk: could respond and ask for example -- we agree we can do this and assigned to someone on techniques development list
... need to process in due course and respond to it publically

RESOLUTION: leave open

jo: lc2905 discussion

<Joshue> http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/35422/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20140107/2905

Comment LC-2905: Techniques F17 procedure #1 and F77 both check for duplicate ID values (#15)

<Joshue> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/F17.html

awk: several comments are on f17 - general consensus is that editing needs to be done.
... perhaps leave open and have one person take action on editing F17 and integrating what is in F77 if people agree these are redundant

<Joshue> http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/F77.html

awk: comments 5, 6 and 8 are related

jo: Need someone to look through and aggregate comments and create new language?

lgr: Adam would be good candidate, could contact to see if he is willing?

<Joshue> JA: I was looking through the techniques. They are inconsistent.

<Joshue> JA: They say if x situation is true and false - the logic methods are not consistent.

<Joshue> JOC: I've noticed this too.

<Joshue> JA: Should we lean towards one particular method?

ja: checks logic structure were inconsistent in general

<Joshue> JOC: +1 to consistent logic method

lgr: check were written over time and by different people and our work evolved over time - sometimes it hard to phrase things in a certain way

jo: in replying to these comments should we have Adam review 5,6, and 8, then them review

RESOLUTION: 2907, 2904, 2880 leave open

jo: lc2879 for discussion - comment 7

<Joshue> LC-2879: Move the logic away from How to meet and into the technique

<Joshue> http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/35422/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20140107/2879

awk: provide comment saying it's implemented -- it will be in github but it won't be on active page
... until next publication

lgr: should go through understanding document that use language "in combination" and fix them all with appropriate reference.

awk: we can accept response but changes won't be seen until next publication - whole bunch of small editorial changes.

RESOLUTION: accept as amended

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: AWK to remember to not forget to update the https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wiki/Working_Group_Techniques_Development_Assignments page with how-to information [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/11-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Josh to update WG techs wiki with general how to info. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/11-wai-wcag-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-03-11 16:25:28 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/survey working groups to deal with them//
Succeeded: s/LC-2882: Add a warning about the poor support for this technique h69/TOPIC: LC-2882: Add a warning about the poor support for this technique h69/
Succeeded: s/jo: lc2877 discussion/TOPIC: Comment LC-2877: The technique should mention input type = file/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: jon_avila
Inferring Scribes: jon_avila

WARNING: Replacing list of attendees.
Old list: Joshue Katie_Haritos-Shea AWK jon_avila +31.30.239.aaaa +1.703.825.aabb adam_solomon John_Foliot Wilco Sailesh Kathy_Wahlbin Loretta Marc_Johlic Michael_Cooper James_Nurthen Andrew_Kirkpatrick Cooper
New list: Joshue Katie_Haritos-Shea AWK jon_avila +31.30.239.aaaa +1.703.825.aabb adam_solomon John_Foliot Wilco Sailesh

Default Present: Joshue, Katie_Haritos-Shea, AWK, jon_avila, +31.30.239.aaaa, +1.703.825.aabb, adam_solomon, John_Foliot, Wilco, Sailesh
Present: Joshue Katie_Haritos-Shea AWK jon_avila +31.30.239.aaaa +1.703.825.aabb adam_solomon John_Foliot Wilco Sailesh
Regrets: Kathleen Bruce Adam_Z DavidMacD Bruce_Bailey Kerstin_Probiesch Kathleen_Anderson
Found Date: 11 Mar 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/03/11-wai-wcag-minutes.html
People with action items: awk josh

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]