Forms Working Group Teleconference

22 May 2013


See also: IRC log


pfennell, ebruchez, Steven, alain, nvdbleek, unl


<trackbot> Date: 22 May 2013

<scribe> Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2013May/0016



ACTION-1944 - Propose a solution to support submitting

multipart-post messages (was Comments on XForms 2.0 Working Draft 7 August



Erik: This was about supporting SOAP better.
... and it would be good to support multi-part better. It's not a blocker for last call.
... there are limitations with the current multi-part support. Too inflexible.
... So this introduces a fully generic version.
... Since we already support headers in submission, so it seems reasonable to use a similar approach
... using a <part> element
... both statically and dynamically
... This is a child of the <submission> element
... <part> has attributes for serialisation and encoding etc.
... they can be avt's for dynamic use.
... Gives a lot of flexibility.
... <part>s can contain custom headers nested. Of course we don't have any implementations.
... I still have some questions though
... 1) what about validate and relevant?
... if you are submitting two instances you might want to validate one and not the other, so my proposed answer is 'yes, why not'.
... 2) We also need to provide a content-disposition header
... so I propose attributes for that, name and filename.
... but do we need an automatic way of dealing with that?
... 3) is this possible with client-side implementations?
... can you use XHR for this?

Alain: XHR can be used, no problem. I have done multipart related with it.

Erik: Great.

Steven: If we're happy with this, we do need some spec text.

Erik: I can take the action.

<scribe> ACTION: Erik to provide spec text for multipart [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/05/22-forms-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1948 - Provide spec text for multipart [on Erik Bruchez - due 2013-05-29].

Erik: I will think more about my question 2)
... but it is still OK to have to do it by hand, just a little bit more work.

ACTION-1945 - Function should only allow one result element (was

The function Element)


Erik: Not much to say here.
... The type attribute is a bit weird. Specifies the language of the function.
... text/javascript for instance, but XPath doesn't have a media type.
... so our solution would have to be leave out the type when it is XPath
... though we could just use "the name of the language", and the implementations would have to know them.

<ebruchez> http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery/#id-mime-type

Steven: It would be application/xpath if it existed

Erik: text/xpath?

Steven: i18n people don't like text/* because it uses ascii as default.
... http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6838
... But I'm just happy with saying default is XPath, and you specify it if it is something else.

Erik: That's fine.

Steven: Registering xpath would be a lot of extra work for us, unnecessary.

Erik: One more comment.
... There are two ways of doing the body of the function, 'var' is an XPath thing. We have separated the expression language into a separate doc.
... I think we should say something about var being only for when using XPath
... it would make no sense otherwise.

Steven: OK with me, anyone else?

<scribe> ACTION: Erik to add note about use of var with other scripting languages. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/05/22-forms-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-1949 - Add note about use of var with other scripting languages. [on Erik Bruchez - due 2013-05-29].

ACTION-1943: Erik investigate why XPath 3 chose the function

signature they did for serialization


Steven: Did we close this?

Erik: I still have an action item on this.
... I haven't had any feedback from the XSLT people by the way.

[SER30] Alternative syntax for output:serialization-parameters


Steven: Oh sorry, that was your message you didn't get a reply to.


Steven: Anything else?

Philip: regrets for me for next week.


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Erik to add note about use of var with other scripting languages. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/05/22-forms-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Erik to provide spec text for multipart [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/05/22-forms-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-05-22 15:40:23 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/SO/So/
Succeeded: s/TH/Th/
Succeeded: s/We also need/2) We also need/
Succeeded: s/automativ/automatic/
Succeeded: s/comments/comment/
Succeeded: s/hvae/have/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: Steven
Inferring Scribes: Steven
Default Present: pfennell, ebruchez, Steven, alain, nvdbleek, unl
Present: pfennell ebruchez Steven alain nvdbleek unl
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2013May/0016
Found Date: 22 May 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/05/22-forms-minutes.html
People with action items: erik

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]