ISSUE-41: What are good practices for designing extensible languages and for handling versioning?

LanguageVersioning-41

What are good practices for designing extensible languages and for handling versioning?

State:
OPEN
Product:
HTML 5 review
Raised by:
Larry Masinter
Opened on:
2003-06-27
Description:
W3C defines languages. Languages evolve, creating new "versions" of the language. Evolution is either incremental or drastic.
After evolution, new readers need to work with older content, and new content needs to not "break" inappropriately with older readers.

How should language designers plan for evolution, advise implementors of consumers and creators of content about how to "future proof" what they are making?
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. Agenda for TAG F2F of 12-14 June 2012 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2012-06-09)
  2. Agenda for TAG F2F 4-6 January 2012 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-12-30)
  3. MIME, Extensions, Registries (from masinter@adobe.com on 2011-12-10)
  4. Re: draft-iab-extension-recs & W3C TAG (from mnot@mnot.net on 2011-11-05)
  5. Re: draft-iab-extension-recs & W3C TAG (from brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com on 2011-11-05)
  6. Re: draft-iab-extension-recs & W3C TAG (from nick.gall@gmail.com on 2011-11-03)
  7. Re: Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 1 Sept 2011 (from jeni@jenitennison.com on 2011-08-31)
  8. Re: Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 1 Sept 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-08-30)
  9. Re: Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 1 Sept 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-08-30)
  10. Re: Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 1 Sept 2011 (from daniel.appelquist@vodafone.com on 2011-08-30)
  11. Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 1 Sept 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-08-30)
  12. Very preliminary agenda and required reading for 13-15 Sept. 2011 TAG F2F now available (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-08-30)
  13. TAG Closes Versioning Terminology 'Product' (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-04-12)
  14. RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-41 Decentralized extensibility (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-05)
  15. Stable agenda for TAG F2F of 8-10 February 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-02-05)
  16. Re: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-41 Decentralized extensibility (from paul@hoplahup.net on 2011-02-03)
  17. RE: HTML WG Decides against namespace-based features for distributed extensibility (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-03)
  18. FW: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-41 Decentralized extensibility (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2011-02-03)
  19. Preliminary version of the Agenda for the TAG F2F Meeting of 8-10 February 2011 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2011-01-30)
  20. Minutes from Jan 06 Tag Telcon (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2011-01-08)
  21. Re: [html chairs] RE: Meeting with TAG at TPAC? (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-10-27)
  22. RE: [html chairs] RE: Meeting with TAG at TPAC? (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-10-27)
  23. Final Agenda for TAG F2F 19-21 October 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-10-14)
  24. Agenda for TAG F2F of October 19-21 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-10-13)
  25. Telcon minutes 2010-10-07 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2010-10-13)
  26. TAG Comments on HTML5 Distributed Extensibility Survey (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-10-07)
  27. TAG Comments on HTML5 Distributed Extensibility Survey (from noah@arcanedomain.com on 2010-10-07)
  28. Re: Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 7 October 2010 (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-10-06)
  29. Draft TAG response to HTML WG on Distributed Extensibility Poll (from raman@google.com (T.V Raman) on 2010-10-06)
  30. Telcon minutes: 2010-09-30 (from ylafon@w3.org on 2010-10-05)
  31. Agenda for the TAG teleconference of 7 October 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-10-05)
  32. Draft TAG response to HTML WG on Distributed Extensibility Poll (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-10-05)
  33. Agenda for the TAG Teleconference of 30 September 2010 (from noah@arcanedomain.com on 2010-09-28)
  34. Re: HTML WG ISSUE-41: extensibility (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-09-23)
  35. Re: HTML WG ISSUE-41: extensibility (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-09-23)
  36. Re: HTML WG ISSUE-41: extensibility (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2010-09-23)
  37. HTML WG ISSUE-41: extensibility (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-09-22)
  38. FW: ISSUE-41: extensibility change proposal advocates (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-08-17)
  39. Draft TAG telcon minutes of 12th August 2010 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2010-08-17)
  40. Microsoft's position on HTML extensibility (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-08-14)
  41. RE: FW: ISSUE-41: extensibility change proposal advocates (from wayne.carr@intel.com on 2010-08-12)
  42. RE: FW: ISSUE-41: extensibility change proposal advocates (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-08-12)
  43. Re: FW: ISSUE-41: extensibility change proposal advocates (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-08-12)
  44. RE: FW: ISSUE-41: extensibility change proposal advocates (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-08-12)
  45. [ISSUE-41: extensibility change proposal advocates] (from raman@google.com (T.V Raman) on 2010-08-11)
  46. Re: FW: ISSUE-41: extensibility change proposal advocates (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-08-05)
  47. FW: ISSUE-41: extensibility change proposal advocates (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-08-04)
  48. Proposed discussion under HTML/XML agenda item (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2010-06-07)
  49. Re: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 27 May 2010 (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-05-27)
  50. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 27 May 2010 (from noah@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-25)
  51. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 20 May 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-19)
  52. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 13 May 2010 (from noah@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-12)
  53. minutes TAG weekly 6 May for review (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-05-11)
  54. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 6 May 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-05-04)
  55. [ISSUE-41: Facebook open graph protocol] (from raman@google.com (T.V Raman) on 2010-04-22)
  56. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 22 April 2010 (from nrm@arcanedomain.com on 2010-04-21)
  57. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 15 April 2010 (from noah@arcanedomain.com on 2010-04-14)
  58. minutes TAG meeting 24-26 March in Cambridge, MA, USA for review (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-04-12)
  59. Minutes of 1 April 2010 checked in (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-04-02)
  60. Re: reconsidering CSS vendor prefixes (from dbaron@dbaron.org on 2010-03-23)
  61. reconsidering CSS vendor prefixes (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-03-22)
  62. Draft Agenda of 24-26 March 2010 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-19)
  63. Draft minutes of TAG teleconference of 11 March 2010 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-19)
  64. Re: draft minutes 3/11 (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-03-13)
  65. draft minutes 3/11 (from LMM@acm.org on 2010-03-11)
  66. Re: ISSUE-41: decentralized-extensibility - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-08)
  67. Re: ISSUE-41: decentralized-extensibility - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-03-08)
  68. Re: Draft email to possible Change Proposal volunteers (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-04)
  69. Re: ISSUE-41: decentralized-extensibility - Chairs Solicit Proposals (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-04)
  70. TAG Members: please reviews status of issues you 'shepherd' by Monday, 8 March (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-03-03)
  71. TAG telcon minutes for 25 Feb 2010 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2010-03-02)
  72. RE: Draft email to possible Change Proposal volunteers (from LMM@acm.org on 2010-02-28)
  73. Re: Draft email to possible Change Proposal volunteers (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-25)
  74. Re: Draft email to possible Change Proposal volunteers (from raman@google.com (T.V Raman) on 2010-02-25)
  75. Re: Draft email to possible Change Proposal volunteers (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-25)
  76. Re: Draft email to possible Change Proposal volunteers (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-25)
  77. Re: Draft email to possible Change Proposal volunteers (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2010-02-25)
  78. Draft email to possible Change Proposal volunteers (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2010-02-25)
  79. Re: Fw: [Fwd: ISSUE-41: decentralized-extensibility - Chairs Solicit Proposals] (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-02-24)
  80. Fw: [Fwd: ISSUE-41: decentralized-extensibility - Chairs Solicit Proposals] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-23)
  81. Re: TAG 18 Feb teleconference minutes for review (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-19)
  82. TAG 18 Feb teleconference minutes for review (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-02-18)
  83. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 11 Feb 2010 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-10)
  84. Re: Amended draft minutes of TAG teleconference, 4th February 2010 (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2010-02-08)
  85. Amended draft minutes of TAG teleconference, 4th February 2010 (from john@jkemp.net on 2010-02-05)
  86. Draft minutes of TAG teleconference, 4th February 2009 (from john@jkemp.net on 2010-02-05)
  87. Re: suggestions for next week's agenda as a result of today's meeting (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-04)
  88. suggestions for next week's agenda as a result of today's meeting (from connolly@w3.org on 2010-02-04)
  89. Agenda for the TAG Teleconference of 4 Feb 2010 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2010-02-02)
  90. Minutes of TAG telcon of 2009-12-17 (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2009-12-18)
  91. Re ISSUE-41 versioning (again) (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-11-28)
  92. An alternative approach to simplifying namespace binding (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2009-11-20)
  93. Re: version identifiers (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-11-19)
  94. Microsoft's Namespaces Proposal (TAG ACTION-327) (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2009-11-19)
  95. suggestion for 19 Nov agenda (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-11-16)
  96. Final agenda for TAG F2F on 2 Nov 2009 (Today) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-11-02)
  97. Re: Preliminary agenda for TAG F2F meeting of 2 Nov 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-11-02)
  98. Preliminary agenda for TAG F2F meeting of 2 Nov 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-11-02)
  99. Re: Topics for discussion at HTML WG/TAG meeting at TPAC (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-10-28)
  100. Re: Topics for discussion at HTML WG/TAG meeting at TPAC (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2009-10-28)
  101. RE: Topics for discussion at HTML WG/TAG meeting at TPAC (was: RE: Possible meeting of TAG and HTML Working Groups at TPAC) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-10-28)
  102. RE: Topics for discussion at HTML WG/TAG meeting at TPAC (was: RE: Possible meeting of TAG and HTML Working Groups at TPAC) (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-10-28)
  103. Re: Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 22 October 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-10-22)
  104. Re: Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 22 October 2009 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-10-22)
  105. Re: Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 22 October 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-10-22)
  106. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 22 October 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-10-21)
  107. TAG issue review (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-10-16)
  108. Re: Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 8 Oct 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-10-07)
  109. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 8 Oct 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-10-07)
  110. Re: [RE: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility] (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-10-01)
  111. Re: Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 1 Oct 2009 (Today) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-10-01)
  112. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 1 Oct 2009 (Today) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-10-01)
  113. [RE: ISSUE-41/ACTION-97 decentralized-extensibility] (from raman@google.com on 2009-09-30)
  114. version identifiers (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-08-26)
  115. Re: [State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-08-25)
  116. [State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues] (from raman@google.com on 2009-08-25)
  117. Re: Fw: Issue-4/Action-108 html-versioning - suggest closing (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-08-24)
  118. Re: Fw: Issue-4/Action-108 html-versioning - suggest closing (from rubys@us.ibm.com on 2009-08-24)
  119. Fw: Issue-4/Action-108 html-versioning - suggest closing (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-08-24)
  120. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 23 July 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-07-21)
  121. Re: ISSUE-41 versioning comments (from schepers@w3.org on 2009-06-19)
  122. ISSUE-41 versioning comments (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-06-18)
  123. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 11 June 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-06-09)
  124. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 28 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-27)
  125. Draft minutes of TAG teleconference of 21 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-26)
  126. Agenda for 21 May 2009 TAG Teleconference and Start of F2F Agenda Planning (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-19)
  127. Draft minutes of 2009-05-12 TAG weekly (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-05-16)
  128. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 14 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-13)
  129. RE: Are we ready to discuss Versioning/ISSUE-41 this week? (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-13)
  130. RE: Are we ready to discuss Versioning/ISSUE-41 this week? (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-05-12)
  131. Are we ready to discuss Versioning/ISSUE-41 this week? (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-12)
  132. Re: update ISSUE-41 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-07)
  133. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 7 May 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-05)
  134. Draft minutes of TAG teleconference of 23 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-05-05)
  135. Versioning and HTML -- recap (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-05-01)
  136. update ISSUE-41 (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-04-24)
  137. Minutes from yesterday (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2009-04-24)
  138. minutes TAG 16 Apr for review: XMLVersioning-41 (ISSUE-41), contentTypeOverride-24 (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-04-20)
  139. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 23 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-16)
  140. Re: Flame on language versioning and multiplexing (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-16)
  141. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 16 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-15)
  142. Re: TAG telcon of 2009-04-09: Draft minutes (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-14)
  143. Re: TAG telcon of 2009-04-09: Draft minutes (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-13)
  144. Re: TAG telcon of 2009-04-09: Draft minutes (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-04-13)
  145. Re: TAG telcon of 2009-04-09: Draft minutes (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-13)
  146. review of TAG work on versioning (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-04-07)
  147. Agenda for TAG Teleconference of 9 April 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-07)
  148. Re: Scheduling TAG discussion of versioning (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-07)
  149. Scheduling TAG discussion of versioning (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-04-03)
  150. Summary of status of TAG issue xmlVersioning-41 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-24)
  151. Setting TAG Priorities - Review of discussion and planning to date (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-22)
  152. RE: TAG Pending Review Action Items (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-13)
  153. Re: TAG Pending Review Action Items (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-03-11)
  154. RE: TAG Pending Review Action Items (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-03-11)
  155. RE: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 12 March 2009 (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-03-11)
  156. RE: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 12 March 2009 (from masinter@adobe.com on 2009-03-10)
  157. Agenda for TAG teleconference of 12 March 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-10)
  158. TAG Pending Review Action Items (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-03-10)
  159. Agenda for TAG Face-to-Face Meeting, 3-5 March 2009 (Redwood Shores, CA) (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-25)
  160. Approved minutes of TAG Teleconference of 5 February 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-17)
  161. Re: Palm webOS approach to HTML extensibility: x-mojo-* [issue-51 selfDescribingWeb-51] (from paul@prescod.net on 2009-02-16)
  162. Palm webOS approach to HTML extensibility: x-mojo-* [issue-51 selfDescribingWeb-51] (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-16)
  163. Draft of minutes from 5 February 2009 TAG telecon for review (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-02-10)
  164. Approved minutes for TAG telcon of 2009-01-29 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-05)
  165. Re: Draft minutes for TAG telcon of 2009-01-29 (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2009-02-05)
  166. TAG Telcon Agenda for 5th February 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-02-03)
  167. Re: TAG Telcon Agenda for 29th Jan 2009: httpRedirections-57; selfDescribingWeb-51; errorHandling-20; scalabilityOfURIAccess-58; XMLVersioning-41; Issues Pending Review; Overdue Action Items. (from john.kemp@nokia.com on 2009-01-29)
  168. Re: TAG Telcon Agenda for 29th Jan 2009: httpRedirections-57; selfDescribingWeb-51; errorHandling-20; scalabilityOfURIAccess-58; XMLVersioning-41; Issues Pending Review; Overdue Action Items. (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2009-01-27)
  169. TAG Telcon Agenda for 29th Jan 2009: httpRedirections-57; selfDescribingWeb-51; errorHandling-20; scalabilityOfURIAccess-58; XMLVersioning-41; Issues Pending Review; Overdue Action Items. (from skw@hp.com on 2009-01-27)
  170. Minutes from Jan 15, 2009 Telcon (from ashok.malhotra@oracle.com on 2009-01-16)
  171. TAG Teleconference Agenda for 15 January 2009 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2009-01-14)
  172. Draft TAG Agenda fro 15th Jan. (from skw@hp.com on 2009-01-13)
  173. Draft minutes of W3C TAG Teleconference of 18 Dec 2008 (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2009-01-07)
  174. minutes: TAG face-to-face meeting, 9-11th December 2009 MIT in Cambridge MA, USA (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-01-07)
  175. Draft TAG telcon agenda 18th Dec 2009: IRIEverywhere-27;Self-Describing Web; XMLVersioing-41; binaryXML-30. (from skw@hp.com on 2008-12-16)
  176. Re: Request for Agenda items for TAG Telcon of 18th December 2008 (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-12-15)
  177. Agenda for TAG F2F Meeting 23-25th September 2008 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-09-17)
  178. Re: TAG weekly telcon agenda for 11 Sep 2008: XMLVersioning-41; binaryXML-30; UrnsAndRegistries-50; Self-Describing Web; F2F Agenda; tagSoupIntegration-54; abreviateURIs-56; WS-* inquiry; Content-Transformation Guidelines review request; htpRedirecti (from orchard@pacificspirit.com on 2008-09-10)
  179. TAG weekly telcon agenda for 11 Sep 2008: XMLVersioning-41; binaryXML-30; UrnsAndRegistries-50; Self-Describing Web; F2F Agenda; tagSoupIntegration-54; abreviateURIs-56; WS-* inquiry; Content-Transformation Guidelines review request; htpRedirections-57 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-09-10)
  180. minutes TAG weekly 4 Sep for review: tagSoupIntegration-54, abbreviatedURI-56 (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-09-04)
  181. TAG Telcon Agenda 4th Sept 2008: tagSoupIntegration-54; abbreviatedURIs-56; XMLVersioning-41; F2F Agenda;httpRedirections-57; Open Action Items (from skw@hp.com on 2008-09-03)
  182. RE: Draft agenda for TAG telcon 16th Sept 2008 available (from skw@hp.com on 2008-09-02)
  183. Summary of TAG activity in recent months; August 2008 (from ij@w3.org on 2008-08-12)
  184. Draft minutes from TAG telcon of 2008-07-24, plain text (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2008-07-25)
  185. TAG Weekly Telcon Agenda: Proposed Wiget URI Scheme; UrnsAndRegistries-50;XMLVersioning-41;Issues and Action item review. (from skw@hp.com on 2008-06-25)
  186. TAG Telcon Agenda: 19th June 2008: New Items? (Widgets URI Scheme); scalabilityOfURIAccess-38; XMLVersioning-41;tagSoupIntegration-54;Action Item Review (from skw@hp.com on 2008-06-18)
  187. TAG Telcon Agenda: 12th June 2008: namespaceDocument-8;passwordInTheClear-52;tagSoupIntegration-54;UrnsAndRegistries-50;XMLVersioning-41 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-06-11)
  188. Re: Draft minutes for TAG f2f, 19 May (from ht@inf.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) on 2008-06-05)
  189. RE: Alternative language versioning formalism (from marc@marcdegraauw.com on 2008-06-05)
  190. TAG Telcon Agenda for 5th June 2008: UrnsAndregistries-50; tagSoupIntegration-54;passwordsInTheClear-52; XMLVersioning-41 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-06-04)
  191. RE: Alternative language versioning formalism (from skw@hp.com on 2008-05-29)
  192. TAG Telcon Agenda for 29th May 2008: UrnsAndRegistries-50; passwordInTheClear-52; tagSoupIntegration-54; XMLVersioning-41 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-05-28)
  193. Alternative language versioning formalism (from jar@creativecommons.org on 2008-05-27)
  194. TAG Telcon Agenda: 10th April 2008: XMLVersioning-41; passwordsInTheClear-52;tagSoupIntegration-54;UrnsAndRegistries-50 (from skw@hp.com on 2008-04-09)
  195. RE: Updated versioning strategies doc [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from dorchard@bea.com on 2007-11-05)
  196. RE: Updated versioning strategies doc [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from marc@marcdegraauw.com on 2007-11-05)
  197. RE: Updated versioning strategies doc [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-11-02)
  198. TAG Telcon Agenda for 1st November 2007. (from skw@hp.com on 2007-11-01)
  199. RE: Updated versioning strategies doc [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from dorchard@bea.com on 2007-10-26)
  200. RE: TAG Tecon Agenda: 25th October 2007: abbreviatedURI-56; XMLVersioning-41 (XHTHML Modularisation); IRIEverywhere-27;httpRedirections-57 (from dorchard@bea.com on 2007-10-24)
  201. TAG Tecon Agenda: 25th October 2007: abbreviatedURI-56; XMLVersioning-41 (XHTHML Modularisation); IRIEverywhere-27;httpRedirections-57 (from skw@hp.com on 2007-10-23)
  202. Re: Updated versioning strategies doc [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-10-16)
  203. TAG Telcon Agenda: 13th Oct 2007: httpRedirections-57, namespaceDocument-8, Mobile Ajax Workshop, XMLVersioning-41 (from skw@hp.com on 2007-10-10)
  204. Draft minutes from TAG telcon 4th October 2008. (from skw@hp.com on 2007-10-09)
  205. RE: Updated versioning strategies doc [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from marc@marcdegraauw.com on 2007-10-05)
  206. TAG meeting 17-19 Sep in Southampton: minutes/summary (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-10-04)
  207. Re: Updated versioning strategies doc [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-10-04)
  208. TAG Telcon Agenda for 4th October 2007: binaryXML-30; XMLVersioning-41; httpRedirections-57 (from skw@hp.com on 2007-10-04)
  209. RE: TAG telcon Agenda for 27th September 2007: [TechPlenary; binaryXML-28; XMLVersioning-41] (from dorchard@bea.com on 2007-09-26)
  210. TAG telcon Agenda for 27th September 2007: [TechPlenary; binaryXML-28; XMLVersioning-41] (from skw@hp.com on 2007-09-26)
  211. RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-09-17)
  212. RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from dorchard@bea.com on 2007-09-17)
  213. RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-09-17)
  214. minutes TAG weekly 13 Sep for review: contentTypeOverride-24, XMLVersioning-41 (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-09-13)
  215. RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from marc@marcdegraauw.com on 2007-09-12)
  216. TAG Telcon Agenda: 13th September 2007: [XMLVersioning-41; UrnsAndRegistries-50; contenttypeOverride-24; abbreviatedURIs-56] (from skw@hp.com on 2007-09-11)
  217. RE: TAG Minutes for 6 Sep 2007 (from skw@hp.com on 2007-09-11)
  218. RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-09-11)
  219. TAG Minutes for 6 Sep 2007 (from ndw@nwalsh.com on 2007-09-06)
  220. RE: TAG Weekly Telcon Agenda for 6th September 2007: tagSoupIntegration-54; namespaceDocument-8; XMLVersioning-41 (from dorchard@bea.com on 2007-09-06)
  221. RE: TAG Weekly Telcon Agenda for 6th September 2007: tagSoupIntegration-54; namespaceDocument-8; XMLVersioning-41 (from skw@hp.com on 2007-09-05)
  222. Re: TAG Weekly Telcon Agenda for 6th September 2007: tagSoupIntegration-54; namespaceDocument-8; XMLVersioning-41 (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-09-05)
  223. TAG Weekly Telcon Agenda for 6th September 2007: tagSoupIntegration-54; namespaceDocument-8; XMLVersioning-41 (from skw@hp.com on 2007-09-05)
  224. RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-09-04)
  225. Re: Draft Agenda for TAG F2F 17-19th September 2007 at University of Southampton (from noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com on 2007-09-04)
  226. Draft Agenda for TAG F2F 17-19th September 2007 at University of Southampton (from skw@hp.com on 2007-09-04)
  227. lots of SMIL namespaces, revisited [XMLVersioning-41 / ISSUE-41] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-08-31)
  228. RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from marc@marcdegraauw.com on 2007-08-29)
  229. RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-08-24)
  230. RE: definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from dorchard@bea.com on 2007-08-24)
  231. definition of forward compatible/backward compatible still an open problem [XMLVersioning-41 ISSUE-41] (from connolly@w3.org on 2007-08-24)
  232. TAG in Mountain View (from on 2007-05-31)
  233. TAG in Mountain View (from on 2007-05-31)
  234. TAG in Mountain View (from on 2007-05-31)
  235. TAG in Mountain View (from on 2007-05-30)
  236. W3C Technical Architecture Group Face to Face Meeting - 30 May 2007 (Wednesday) (from on 2007-05-30)
  237. W3C Technical Architecture Group Face to Face Meeting - 30 May 2007 (Wednesday) (from on 2007-05-30)
  238. Long-ago discussion of schema-based approaches to versioning (from Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> on 2007-05-21)
  239. Updated Versioning finding(s) available (from David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com> on 2007-05-17)
  240. TAG Weekly Telcon (from on 2007-05-14)
  241. TAG Weekly Telcon (from on 2007-05-14)
  242. TAG Weekly Telcon (from on 2007-05-14)
  243. TAG Weekly Telcon - 30th April 2007 (from on 2007-04-30)
  244. W3C TAG Teleconference - 23 April 2007 (from on 2007-04-23)
  245. W3C TAG Teleconference - 23 April 2007 (from on 2007-04-23)
  246. W3C TAG Teleconference - 23 April 2007 (from on 2007-04-23)
  247. W3C TAG Teleconference - 23 April 2007 (from on 2007-04-23)
  248. Technical Architecture Group (from on 2007-04-16)
  249. TAG f2f (from on 2006-12-12)
  250. TAG f2f (from on 2006-12-12)
  251. TAG f2f (from on 2006-12-12)
  252. TAG F2F (Morning) (from on 2006-10-05)
  253. TAG F2F 5 October 2006 Afternoon (from on 2006-10-05)
  254. TAG F2F 5 October 2006 Afternoon (from on 2006-10-05)
  255. TAG F2F 5 October 2006 Afternoon (from on 2006-10-05)
  256. TAG F2F 5 October 2006 Afternoon (from on 2006-10-05)
  257. TAG F2F 5 October 2006 Afternoon (from on 2006-10-05)
  258. TAG in Vancouver (from on 2006-10-04)
  259. TAG Weekly (from on 2006-09-05)
  260. (from on 2006-08-29)
  261. TAG Teleconference of 8 August 2006 (from on 2006-08-08)
  262. TAG Teleconference of 8 August 2006 (from on 2006-08-08)
  263. TAG telcon (from on 2006-07-25)
  264. TAG (from on 2006-07-18)
  265. TAG in Amherst (from on 2006-06-12)
  266. TAG F2F 5 October 2006 Afternoon (from on 2006-06-12)
  267. TAG in Amherst (from on 2006-06-12)
  268. TAG in Amherst (from on 2006-06-12)
  269. TAG in Amherst (from on 2006-06-12)
  270. Tag F2f 3 March 2006 (from on 2006-03-03)
  271. Tag F2f 3 March 2006 (from on 2006-03-03)
  272. Tag F2f 3 March 2006 (from on 2006-03-03)
  273. TAG F2F Minutes, Mandelieu (from on 2006-02-27)
  274. TAG (from on 2006-02-21)
  275. TAG (from on 2006-02-21)
  276. TAG Weekly (from on 2006-02-14)
  277. Re: terminology section and diagram for ext/versioning (from Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> on 2006-02-14)
  278. TAG Weekly (from on 2006-02-14)
  279. TAG face-to-face meeting, 5-6 December 2005 (from on 2005-12-05)
  280. (from on 2005-12-05)
  281. TAG Weekly (from on 2005-11-08)
  282. TAG weekly teleconference (from on 2005-10-04)
  283. TAG f2f, Edinburgh (from on 2005-09-22)
  284. TAG f2f, Edinburgh (from on 2005-09-22)
  285. TAG f2f, Edinburgh (from on 2005-09-22)
  286. TAG f2f, Edinburgh (from on 2005-09-22)
  287. TAG f2f, Edinburgh (from on 2005-09-22)
  288. TAG in Edinburgh 21 Sep (from on 2005-09-21)
  289. (from on 2005-03-03)
  290. TAG Teleconference, February 14, 2005 (from on 2005-02-14)
  291. Minutes of 12-14 May 2004 TAG FTF meeting in Boston (from on 2004-05-14)
  292. Minutes of 12-14 May 2004 TAG FTF meeting in Boston (from on 2004-05-14)
  293. Minutes of 15-17 November 2003 TAG face-to-face meeting in Shin-Yokohama, Japan (from on 2003-11-15)
  294. Minutes of 15-17 November 2003 TAG face-to-face meeting in Shin-Yokohama, Japan (from on 2003-11-15)
  295. Minutes of 10 November 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-11-10)
  296. Minutes of 10 November 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-11-10)
  297. Minutes of 10 November 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-11-10)
  298. Minutes of 3 November 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-11-03)
  299. Minutes of 3 November 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-11-03)
  300. Minutes of 3 November 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-11-03)
  301. Minutes of 14 July 2003 TAG teleconference (from on 2003-07-14)
  302. Section 3.2.2.4 text on extensibilty (from David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com> on 2003-06-27)
  303. Minutes of 2 March 2004 TAG FTF meeting in Cannes-Mandelieu (France) and WG Liaisons (from on 2003-03-02)

Related notes:

Jonathan Rees Note (16 April 2009) "Flame on language versioning and multiplexing" http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Apr/0042.html

Noah Mendelsohn, 16 Apr 2009, 20:28:32

Issue renamed from "XMLVersioning" to "LanguageVersioning" to broaden scope to things like CSS, JavaScript, etc.

Plan is to look specifically at versioning of web technology (HTML, CSS, HTTP, URI -> IRI), catalog versioning mechanisms and analyze them against the forces that cause deployment of content or readers that don't do well when dealing with new versions.

Larry Masinter, 25 Apr 2009, 00:38:17

On 1 June 2009, Larry Masinter published a draft (http://larry.masinter.net/versioning-html.html) for discussion at the June 2009 F2F. The announcement email is at: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Jun/0000.html

Noah Mendelsohn, 1 Jun 2009, 17:46:31

Since tracker doesn't let you edit notes once they're posted, and since tracker doesn't have a reliable way to distinguish URIs from other text, let's try that again:

On 1 June 2009, Larry Masinter published a draft ( http://larry.masinter.net/versioning-html.html ) for discussion at the June 2009 F2F. The announcement email is at: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2009Jun/0000.html (for the previous entry, Tracker mistakenly included the trailing close paren in the link target.)

Noah Mendelsohn, 1 Jun 2009, 17:48:43

in http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2009/11/02-agenda , Noah put this issue under HTML, so I'm updating the product to "HTML 5 review"

Dan Connolly, 10 Nov 2009, 17:19:56

Display change log ATOM feed


Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Peter Linss <w3c@linss.com>, Daniel Appelquist <appelquist@gmail.com>, Chairs, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.325 2014-09-10 21:42:02 ted Exp $