From W3C Wiki
Privacy Interest Group
Are you working within W3C Working Groups or other ongoing privacy-related work?
Update our list of connections to other groups.
- Privacy Considerations -- please share your ideas, goals or resources for a W3C Privacy Considerations document.
W3C Reports, Events, Groups, Specifications
- A Standards-based, Open and Privacy-aware Social Web, W3C Incubator Group Report, 6th December 2010
- W3C Workshop on Do Not Track and Beyond, 26-27 November 2012, Berkeley, CA, USA
- W3C Workshop on Identity in the Browser, 24/25th May 2011, Mountain View (USA)
- W3C Workshop on Web Tracking and User Privacy, 28/29 April 2011, Princeton, NJ, USA see also the Workshop Wiki page
- Internet Privacy Workshop (IAB/W3C/ISOC), 8/9 December 2010, MIT
- W3C Workshop on Privacy and Data Usage Control, 4/5 October 2010, MIT
- W3C Workshop on Privacy for Advanced Web APIs, 12/13 July 2010, London
- Future of Social Networking - 15-16 January 2009, Barcelona
W3C maintains a public mailing list where Web privacy matters are discussed; we also use this list for discussion of Privacy Interest Group work.
Conference calls are scheduled on a monthly basis, commonly on the last Thursday. W3C provides the Zakim Conference System to assist; schedule of meetings are kept up to date on the Privacy Interest Group home page and agendas are announced on the mailing list.
Joining the calls
- Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 7464 ("PING")
- SIP/VOIP details
- Please also join us on IRC in the #privacy room.
Meeting Agenda and Minutes
Agenda will typically be posted to the mailing list at least 24 hours before the call. Minutes will be generally be available shortly after the meeting.
The Privacy Interest Group home page will generally have a more updated list.
- 2012-07-19 -- [ Agenda] -- [ Minutes] -- [ Summary]
- 2012-06-14 -- Agenda -- Minutes -- [ Summary]
- 2012-05-17 -- Agenda -- Minutes -- Summary
- 2012-04-19 -- Agenda -- Minutes -- Summary
Ideas around privacy
- Secret: Ability of someone to control the personal data gathering and usage. One school of thoughts toward being suspicious about hiding, the other being that it is part of individual freedom rights.
- Calmness: Possibility for someone to not be disturbed in the daily life, with a control on the ability of people accessing you. It includes the seek for being forgotten.
- Individual autonomy: Ability to take important decisions in a way that enable self expression and diverse intimate relationships
Web Technologies with implication on Privacy
A few technologies already exist with strong implications on Web Tracking and user Privacy.
see also: PrivacyAwareWeb