ISSUE-35: Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html

aria-processing

Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html

State:
CLOSED
Product:
HTML 5 spec
Raised by:
Cynthia Shelly
Opened on:
2008-02-18
Description:
Integration of the aria specification in html requires detailed processing requirements for the states and properties it defines when used in html. It also requires consideration of how aria features interact with html-native features and, where functionality is duplicated, consideration of whether the advantages of having more than one way to achieve the same effect outweighs the cost.

aria spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/

Overlap between longdesc and aria-describedby:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0273.html

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [annotations-for-assistive-technology-products]
Related Actions Items:
Related emails:
  1. {minutes} } HTML WG telecon 2010-07-24: issues, surveys, decisions, publication status, TF reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2010-06-25)
  2. [minutes] 20100325 HTML teleconference (from plh@w3.org on 2010-03-30)
  3. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-35 aria-processing (ends 2009-12-17) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-04)
  4. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-35 aria-processing (ends 2009-12-17) (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2010-01-04)
  5. Re: CfC: Close ISSUE-35 aria-processing (ends 2009-12-17) (from mjs@apple.com on 2010-01-03)
  6. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  7. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-17: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-12-15)
  8. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  9. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from shelley.just@gmail.com on 2009-12-10)
  10. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-12-09)
  11. CfC: Close ISSUE-35 aria-processing (ends 2009-12-17) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-08)
  12. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-12-3: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-12-02)
  13. Re: ISSUE 14: aria-role - suggest closing on 2009-11-12 (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-11-24)
  14. [minutes] HTML WG call 20091119 (from plh@w3.org on 2009-11-19)
  15. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from oradnio@gmail.com on 2009-11-19)
  16. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com on 2009-11-19)
  17. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-18)
  18. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-11-19: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task force reports (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-11-18)
  19. minutes Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces, F2F... (from cooper@w3.org on 2009-10-29)
  20. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces, F2F... (from singer@apple.com on 2009-10-29)
  21. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-29: issues, action items, calls for consensus/proposals, task forces, F2F... (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-10-28)
  22. ISSUE 14: aria-role - suggest closing on 2009-11-12 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-10-26)
  23. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-22: AIs, Task Forces, F2F meeting plans (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-10-21)
  24. [VER 2] {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-15: AIs, Task Forces, F2F meeting plans (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-10-15)
  25. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-15: AIs, Task Forces, F2F meeting plans (from singer@apple.com on 2009-10-14)
  26. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-15: AIs, Task Forces, F2F meeting plans (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-10-14)
  27. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-10-08: AIs, Task Forces, TPAC/ECMA, Decision Policy (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-10-07)
  28. Minutes 2009-09-24 (from annevk@opera.com on 2009-09-24)
  29. Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-24 - CfCs, Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc. (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-22)
  30. FW: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-24 - CfCs, Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc. (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-22)
  31. Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09)
  32. FW: Agenda for HTML WG telcon 2009-09-10 - Accessibility TF, Testing TF, etc (from Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com on 2009-09-09)
  33. {minutes} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-27 (from annevk@opera.com on 2009-08-27)
  34. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-27 *PLEASE-READ* (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-26)
  35. Re: Path to Last Call (was closing various issues) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-23)
  36. Re: Path to Last Call (was closing various issues) (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-08-22)
  37. Path to Last Call (was closing various issues) (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-22)
  38. Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03 (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-08-22)
  39. Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-22)
  40. State of HTML WG Unresolved Issues (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-08-20)
  41. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-20 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-19)
  42. Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-18)
  43. Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-08-18)
  44. Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-18)
  45. {minutes} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-13 for review (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-08-13)
  46. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-13 (from cooper@w3.org on 2009-08-12)
  47. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-13 (from singer@apple.com on 2009-08-12)
  48. {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-08-13 (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-12)
  49. Re: Consolidated issues that may qualify as 'controversial' (from rubys@intertwingly.net on 2009-08-12)
  50. Re: Consolidated issues that may qualify as 'controversial' (from shelleyp@burningbird.net on 2009-08-12)
  51. Consolidated issues that may qualify as 'controversial' (from mjs@apple.com on 2009-08-12)
  52. minutes: HTML WG telecon 2009-08-06 [draft] (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-08-06)
  53. minutes HTML weekly 9 July for review (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-07-09)
  54. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-06-22)
  55. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-06-15)
  56. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-06-04 -- minutes enclosed (from singer@apple.com on 2009-06-04)
  57. Re: {agenda} HTML WG telcon 2009-06-04 -- minutes enclosed (from singer@apple.com on 2009-06-04)
  58. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-06-01)
  59. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-05-11)
  60. minutes: HTML WG telecon 2009-05-07 [draft] (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-05-07)
  61. minutes: HTML WG Weekly 26 Feb 2009 (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-26)
  62. minutes: HTML WG Weekly 26 Feb 2009 (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-26)
  63. Re: Input on the agenda (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-23)
  64. Input on the agenda (from ian@hixie.ch on 2009-02-23)
  65. minutes: HTML WG telecon 2009-02-19 [draft] (from julian.reschke@gmx.de on 2009-02-19)
  66. Re: Joint task force on ARIA user agent implementation (from connolly@w3.org on 2009-02-18)
  67. {minutes} HTML WG telcon 2008-07-31 (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-07-31)
  68. Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML (from Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org on 2008-07-31)
  69. Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-07-31)
  70. {minutes} HTML WG telcon 2008-07-24 (from mike@w3.org on 2008-07-31)
  71. Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML (from Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org on 2008-07-24)
  72. Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML (from schwer@us.ibm.com on 2008-07-23)
  73. Re: linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML (from ian@hixie.ch on 2008-07-23)
  74. linking work on processing WAI-ARIA markup in HTML (from Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org on 2008-07-23)
  75. Requesting some issue guidance on ARIA (from shawn@db79.com on 2008-05-22)
  76. minutes HTML WG weekly 21 Feb (from connolly@w3.org on 2008-03-09)
  77. Re: ISSUE-35 (aria-processing): Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html [HTML 5 spec] (from ian@hixie.ch on 2008-02-21)
  78. Re: ISSUE-35 (aria-processing): Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html [HTML 5 spec] (from jg307@cam.ac.uk on 2008-02-21)
  79. Re: ISSUE-35 (aria-processing): Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html [HTML 5 spec] (from simonp@opera.com on 2008-02-21)
  80. Re: ISSUE-35 (aria-processing): Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html [HTML 5 spec] (from oedipus@hicom.net on 2008-02-21)
  81. Re: ISSUE-35 (aria-processing): Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html [HTML 5 spec] (from mtanalin@yandex.ru on 2008-02-18)
  82. ISSUE-35 (aria-processing): Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html [HTML 5 spec] (from sysbot+tracker@w3.org on 2008-02-18)

Related notes:

this "issue" represents a fundamental mis-understanding of the point of ARIA markup and the PFWG's attempts to work with the HTML WG -- as stated by Al Gilman in a post to public-html

<q cite="http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0903.html">
The working group likes the idea of having built in semantics in HTML and in particular would prefer to have common document elements, such as widgets built
in to the markup. This reduces download size and the effort required to make a web page accessible. For these reasons, we would promote the use of such
markup over the ARIA approach. That said, we do believe that HTML 5 will not incorporate document elements for all those included in the ARIA role taxonomy
nor will it include all the states and properties. For these reasons, backward compatability for the ARIA specifications is a must.
</q>

further on in his email, Al Gilman also states:

<q cite="http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0903.html">
To summarize, our goals for HTML 5 are as follow:

* Support for issues highlighted in Table: 1 of the ARIA Roadmap
* Backward compatability to ARIA, including the role attribute.
* Allow for full interoperability with assistive technologies
* A preference for access to accessibility information via the DOM
* Reduced efforts by authors to support assistive technologies
* Support for the access element or a version of it.
* Maintain equivalent or improved accessibility features of HTML 4.01
</q>

i vote that this is a NON-ISSUE

Gregory Rosmaita, 21 Feb 2008, 17:18:51

using RAISED to represent lower priority as discussed in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-issue-tracking/2008Aug/0005.html

Dan Connolly, 22 Aug 2008, 15:40:36

closing issue-68 as a dup of this one, opening this one instead, after discussion with Sam, who chaired the 2009-02-05 HTML WG conference call

Dan Connolly, 18 Feb 2009, 16:20:52

'Call for Review: WAI-ARIA Last Call and New Document for Browsers' - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2009JanMar/0037.html

Shawn Medero, 26 Feb 2009, 07:31:31

Steven's first pass at a matrix:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1103.html

Ian's questions:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/1130.html

Sam Ruby, 22 Aug 2009, 08:15:19

Per the CfC, this issue is closed without prejudice. Individual changes to ARIA processing requirements can still be raised separately.

Maciej Stachowiak, 4 Jan 2010, 04:15:59


ACTION 138 was unbound from HTML ISSUE 35 in January 2010 when this issue was closed.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0004.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0011.html

Laura Carlson, 26 Mar 2010, 07:36:31


At the March 25 HTML teleconference [1], the HTML Chairs opened Action 177 [2] to have a bug raised to track Action 138 [3], as Maciej had unbound [4] [5] Action 138 from HTML ISSUE 35 [6] when this ISSUE 35 was closed.

The tracking bug is Bug 9326: "HTML elements mapping to ARIA and A11y APIs" reported by Cynthia Shelly. [7]

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/03/25-html-wg-minutes.html#item12
[2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/177
[3] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/138
[4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0004.html
[5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2010Jan/0011.html
[6] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/35
[7] http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=9326

Laura Carlson, 26 Mar 2010, 07:37:57

[Laura]: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/35

24 Jun 2010, 16:19:47

Changelog:

Created issue 'Need to define processing requirements for aria states and properties when used in html' nickname aria-processing owned by James Graham on product HTML 5 spec, description 'Integration of the aria specification in html requires detailed processing requirements for the states and properties it defines when used in html. It also requires consideration of how aria features interact with html-native features and, where functionality is duplicated, consideration of whether the advantages of having more than one way to achieve the same effect outweighs the cost.

aria spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/

Overlap between longdesc and aria-describedby:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0273.html

' non-public

James Graham, 18 Feb 2008, 14:33:21

Status changed to 'raised'

Dan Connolly, 22 Aug 2008, 15:40:36

Owner changed to 'Cynthia Shelly'

Dan Connolly, 18 Feb 2009, 16:20:52

Status changed to 'open'

Dan Connolly, 18 Feb 2009, 16:20:52

Description changed to 'Integration of the aria specification in html requires detailed processing requirements for the states and properties it defines when used in html. It also requires consideration of how aria features interact with html-native features and, where functionality is duplicated, consideration of whether the advantages of having more than one way to achieve the same effect outweighs the cost.

aria spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/

Overlap between longdesc and aria-describedby:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0273.html

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [semantics]'

James Graham, 21 Aug 2009, 11:33:35

Description changed to 'Integration of the aria specification in html requires detailed processing requirements for the states and properties it defines when used in html. It also requires consideration of how aria features interact with html-native features and, where functionality is duplicated, consideration of whether the advantages of having more than one way to achieve the same effect outweighs the cost.

aria spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/

Overlap between longdesc and aria-describedby:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0273.html

HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [annotations-for-assistive-technology-products]'

James Graham, 22 Aug 2009, 08:22:32

Status changed to 'closed'

Maciej Stachowiak, 4 Jan 2010, 04:15:59


Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Chairs, Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org>, Staff Contact
Tracker: documentation, (configuration for this group), originally developed by Dean Jackson, is developed and maintained by the Systems Team <w3t-sys@w3.org>.
$Id: index.php,v 1.323 2013-12-19 14:47:09 dom Exp $