- 1 Social Interest Group
- 2 Participation
- 3 Discussion
- 4 Process
- 5 Task Forces
- 6 Related Organizations
- 7 Patent Policy
- 8 See Also
Welcome to the Social Interest Group home page!
Social Interest Group
Mark Crawford (SAP) -- on hiatus
Ann Bassetti (Boeing) -- tentative new chair, with help from teammates
We are looking for at least one additional chair. If interested, please contact Mark Crawford or Harry Halpin
Harry Halpin (W3C/MIT)
How to participate
To join this group, if you are affiliated with a W3C member organization:
The chairs and staff may permit people to join as "invited experts"; to pursue this option, fill out the Invited Expert Application and the chairs will contact you in about a week. Send any questions about this process to Harry Halpin.
If you are officially in the group, you will automatically receive group email and your w3.org login and password will work on this wiki.
We currently use IRC, a mailing list, telecons, and face to face meetings for discussion.
The IRC channel is logged on the publicly-visible URL above. You can bookmark the URL and it will redirect to the current day.
You can get your photo to appear next to your name in the logs by adding yourself to the IRC-people page.
- Dedicated to Social Interest Group discussions. See public-social-interest archive. Please preface the subject of any emails with either #Admin, #(name of the TF), or #(Relevant topic keyword(s)) to help manage us manage the discussions.
Bi-Weekly telecons take place on alternate Wednesdays at 12 PM US/Eastern (18:00 CET, 9:00 AM US/Pacific. See [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20140826T13&p1=43&p2=224&p3=0&p4=195 time converter for more options).
Dial-in and Conference Code
- Dial-in 1-617-761-6200 SIP Instructions, Zakim Code "SOCIG" (76244#)
Note: Please join irc (#socialig) before dialing in. If dialing in via voip, please use the Zakim command to identify yourself.
For ad hoc conferences you can request it on irc with:
Zakim, room for <number of people> for <number> minutes?. If you don't specify the minutes you will get 60 minutes
Instructions for creating a one-time call bridge
- In IRC, type command: zakim, room for 8
- ... where "8" is the number of people you want to attend
- Zakim (the W3C telecom tool) should immediately respond with a phone number
Schedule in advance
- Send an e-mail request at least 48 hours in advance to: email@example.com
- Modify the following information within the quotations with your request.
- Day(s): Day of Week: "Thursday"
- Date(s): "2014-11-20"
- Time: from "12:00 to 16:00 EST (Boston Time)"
- One Time or Recurring: "One Time"
- Number of participants: Up to "8"
- Name of teleconference group (OR subgroup): "Social Interest Group Vocabulary Task Force"
- Preferred conference code (4 or 5 digits): "76244"
2015-02-04 - regularly scheduled bi-weekly Social IG call
If this is your first W3C telecom, please join [] and read about how to talk to Zakim, W3C's IRC bot that helps facilitate meetings using IRC in conjunction with the W3C's audio teleconference bridge.
- Connect Information (if needed): https://sap.na.pgiconnect.com/social_ig/
Note: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before: Test your connection: https://sap.na.pgiconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/go/connectpro_overview
Face to Face Meetings
Past Telecons & Meetings
- 2014-05-14 - chairs meeting
- 2014-07-09 - chairs meeting
- 2014-08-06 - first semi-official; Meeting Slides
- 2014-08-20 - first official (forthcoming)
- 201409-03 Meeting Notes and Minutes
- 2014-09-17 Meeting Notes and Minutes
- 2014-10-01 Meeting Notes and Minutes
- 2014-10-22 Meeting Notes and Minutes
- 2014-11-12 Meeting Notes and Minutes
- 2014-12-03 Meeting Notes and Minutes
- 2014-12-17 Meeting Notes and Minutes
Process will be in accordance with W3C Process.
The Social Web Interest Group will meet bi-weekly for coordination amongst the various Task Forces. Individual Task Forces will meet at the discretion of the TF as necessary to progress their work.
Issues and Actions related to this IG are managed via the W3C Tracker. See Social IG Tracker.
Four task forces have been established to focus on various aspects of the IG responsibilities. these are:
- Socialig/Use Case TF - Chair: Larry Hawes. Will define technical and business driven use cases around social
- Socialig/Architecture TF Chair: Mark Crawford. Will define a notional social architecture
- Socialig/Vocabulary TF Chair: Lloyd Fassett. Will identify social syntax/vocabularies and determine missing components.
- Socialig/Liaison TF Chair: James Snell. Will coordinate activities of the Social IG/WG with other W3C activities and external activities.
Please visit their respective pages to track their efforts and to provide relevant input (see Documentation)
To document proposals, ideas, even specifications that are social web related, please create pages for them from the relevant Task Force wiki if so related, otherwise create and link to them from here.
You may preface your page names with "socialig/" if you pick a particularly generic name and/or wish to indicate the scope in the name.
The following organizations are also working on Social Web technologies:
- Social Business CG
- OpenSocial Foundation
- Open Mobile Alliance
- Federated Social Web CG - technical work has moved to Social Web WG and Social IG, but it promotes the theme "decentralized social networks" and can issue statements
Longer list available at Socialwg#Related_Organizations
This Working Group operates under the W3C Patent Policy (5 February 2004 Version). To promote the widest adoption of Web standards, W3C seeks to issue Recommendations that can be implemented, according to this policy, on a Royalty-Free basis.
For more information about disclosure obligations for this group, please see the W3C Patent Policy Status Page.