Re: Does the YouTube video player fail SC 2.1.4?

I think the reason why the shortcuts won't work on the rest of the webpage
when you embed a YouTube video is because it is embeded using an iframe.
Apparently the scope of the shortcuts won't go outside the iframe. Which
makes sense in a way. If you would add other content to the iframe holding
the YouTube video you willl notice that the shortcuts will also work
outside the video. So, Condition #3 is not really met in a direct way, but
indirectly because an iframe was used. That's the difference between the
video on the YouYube website and the same video embedded.

But, besides that, can the 'video player' (and what is the video player,
which HTML element is it, of where does it start and where does it end) as
a whole be seen as a User Interface Component? I have my doubts about that
reading the definition (see
https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/#dfn-user-interface-components ).
According to SC 4.1.2 each User Interface Component needs to have a name,
role and value. What is the 'name' or the 'role' of the 'video player' as a
whole? Also in other succes criteria this will be problematic.

So, my assumption is that the video player as a whole is not a User
Interface Component; only the buttons and links within the video can be
seen as User Interface Components. That would mean that the shortcuts can
only work if the focus is on the button (or link) to which the shortcut
applies. So the 'k' can only work when the focus is on the play/pause
button. Consequence is that I have to fail each website that uses embedded
YouTube videos. That is almost every website we test fot accessibiliyu
issues.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Gerard Copinga

Cardan Technobility
TalentSquare 13
5038 LX Tilburg
Tel.: +31 (0) 88 500 4070
E-mail: gerard@technobility.nl
WWW: www.technobility.nl
Werkdagen: maandag, dinsdagochtend, woensdag, donderdagochtend