Re: Understanding dismay

Thanks for asking Andrew,

I’m sure this has been brought up before, but I’m not part of any other
group that does this. I’m part of lots of other groups.

Normally in tech projects people go to GitHub & give a Thumbs-Up if a vote
is needed. That becomes the default voting mechanism for many projects.

I could see the W3C setting up a simple link that allows logged in users to
record a yes/no on a particular decision.

I know that there are folks that don’t like GitHub. Like any tool, it isn’t
perfect. I know setting up online voting systems can be expensive and can
carry their own set of challenges.

But there is a lot of email discussions that take place on this list. It
clutters up a lot of folks inboxes. Adds to our cognitive load. Sure, it is
a lowest-common-denominator solution that works. However, how many people
does it drive away from the W3C? How many folks just filter the emails, and
become disengaged from the conversation.

I don’t know the answers to this. Maybe a hybrid option could work. Pushing
most conversations and discussions to GitHub, where many of us would find
it more useful, but allowing some folks to have some conversations in the
mailing list because that is their preference. It is all a bit awkward.

I figured that because I’m new I should ask this before I too become
accustomed to a pattern (that seems broken).

Mike

Mike Gifford, Senior Strategist, CivicActions
Drupal Core Accessibility Maintainer
https://civicactions.com    |  https://accessibility.civicactions.com
http://twitter.com/mgifford |  http://linkedin.com/in/mgifford

On April 27, 2023 at 9:16:14 AM, Andrew Kirkpatrick (akirkpat@adobe.com)