Re: [EXT] Re: Focus not obscured notes

+1 to Mike Gifford’s points and revision

From: Mike Gifford <mike.gifford@civicactions.com>
Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 8:59 AM
To: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Cc: Wilco Fiers <wilco.fiers@deque.com>, Michael Gower <michael.gower@ca.ibm.com>, Jon Avila <jon.avila@levelaccess.com>, WCAG list (w3c-wai-gl@w3.org) <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: [EXT] Re: Focus not obscured notes
Trying to keep the language of SC simple is a real challenge. I don't claim to be good at it, but

I put your proposed text (not what is in the ps) into https://hemingwayapp.com and it was at a post-grad level.

I brought it down to a grade 10 level by breaking it into two sentences.  I think this still reflects the intent.
Content opened by the <em>user</em> should not obscure focusable items. The opened content can obscure focusable items if the user can close it without moving keyboard focus (for example, by dismissing with Esc).

I tried to get a simpler answer with ChatGPT but wasn't able to come up with something satisfactory.

I echo Wilco's point. I do think we really should be finding ways to make WCAG SC easier to understand.

Mike