Re: SC 1.4.11

​​Hi Alastair,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Comments inline. (Question: where do
your images come from?)

Kinda missing the point, let me try again. If you have a button, it has a
foreground and background, e.g.

button {color: #000; background-color: #fff;}

Neither of those affects the default outline colour. That’s the techie CSS
part of the point.

Actually Alastair, I believe *you* are missing my point. Let's look at the
button you just declared. If your CSS was part of this:

body {background-color:#fff;}
button {color: #000; background-color: #fff;}

[image: Two buttons, the first with no visual indicator except text saying
'button'. The second is the same but with an added grey border.]

...then that button's active state indication will likely show up  on that
page. But what happens when I change the background color to "gray"
(#8D9093)

body {background-color:#8D9093;}
button {color: #000; background-color: #fff;}

​

You've lost your visible tab focus. The argument for the permissive reading
would say this is OK, that it is exempt from the SC.

Thankfully it's fairly easy to remediate:

body {background-color:#8D9093;}
button {color: #000; background-color: #fff; padding: 1px; border: 1px
solid #8D9093;}

button:focus {color: #000; background-color: #fff; padding: 1px; border:
1px dashed #fff;}

Also, in some browsers the focus indicator is *inside* the component (for
buttons), in some it’s outside (for links, always I think).

[image: Default FF submit button with dotted outline around the text within
the button.]

Yes, that appears to be the default in Firefox today, but instead, what if
it was this?

button {color: #fff; background-color: #000;}

Are you suggesting that because the author has not modified the focus state
indicator, that the dotted black lines around the text "submit" (they ARE
there, it's just, you know, black on black) that this should not fail?

> So you are agreeing then that state indications (aka focus indication) is
different than "component"

It can be, but not necessarily. It is more complex. The indicator could be:

   - Extra thickness added to the outer border, (like the default in most
      browsers) e.g.
      - [image: Two buttons on a white background. The first has a blue
      border to indicate its boundary, white internal background and blue text.
      The second adds a thick blue-grey outer border to show focus.]
      - A link/button without a border gets one, e.g.
      - [image: Two buttons, the first with no visual indicator except text
      saying 'button'. The second is the same but with an added grey border.]
      - A reversal of colour scheme, e.g:
      - [image: Two buttons, the first has a blue outline and inner white
      background with blue text. The second has a blue background with white
      text, reversing the color scheme.]
      - An additional (contrasting) graphic added inside or outside the
      component boundary (e.g. a triangle, or a line like on the WAI site nav).

All of these examples share the same problem as the first example: you are
not taking into consideration the background color, which *directly*
impacts the 'native' visible focus indication:

Per your reading of the exception clause, the example directly above would
Pass. That is what you seem to be arguing.

If you have changed the focus style, then yes that should be good, and
there are many options. However, if you haven’t touched the focus style
then it should be the responsibility of the user-agent to display that
properly.

in other words... "If the developer is not attuned enough to ensure visible
tab focus is always present, then the browser should somehow be smart
enough to pick up the slack." That is the flippant (but not disrespectful)
way I am reading your response Alastair, sorry. I cannot buy that.

> "Setting the page background..." - developers and designers are already
doing this today - at scale and in fact a "norm"

Agreed. It just means (in your interpretation) that the exception is always
applied. Why have it? (That’s flippant, we have it, but it points to that
not being the intent.)

​Good question: My read is for when nothing has been styled (then you are
dependent on ALL the browser defaults​), or when a user-agent technically
cannot be modified by the content author (forced user-agent defaults). The
exception clause is supposed to cover the edge and corner cases, not leave
a gaping door wide open to abuse.

Also, the definition of state is tied to the component, so if you take the
view that any change to the component at all means the whole exception
doesn’t apply, then that applies to states as well. That seems extreme,
especially considering the next point.

​I strongly disagree. Here is our normative definition of "state":

state

dynamic property expressing characteristics of a user interface component
that may change in response to user action or automated processes
​         ​
States do not affect the nature of the component, but
*​​represent data associated with the component* or user interaction
​         ​
possibilities. Examples include focus, hover, select, press, check,
visited/unvisited, and expand/collapse.
​

​
"...represent data *associated* with the component..."
​ ​says to me it is separate but related, which the visual rebuttals I've
offered illustrate.

> "...the size of a checkbox..." - unrelated to this Contrast SC: size has
nothing to do with color.

Not so, the SC text says when the ‘appearance’ is changed (for good reason
because we’re flexible about what the indicators are). That will happen
with a change of font (which inherits from the parent elements) or when the
size is changed, it isn’t just colour.

​Then let me restate that: size has nothing to do with visible tab focus,
however visible tab focus requires a minimum contrast ratio to be
perceivable.

I’ll drop the point around changes over time, as you’re effectively arguing
for *always* setting focus colour.

​Effectively, *yes*.​ At the risk of being a broken record: *if you modify
any of the browser default colors (including background), then the author
is responsible for all other color choices, as changing one aspect of the
browser's default "palette" means you are responsible for all of the
downstream impact(s) of that choice. *

I personally cannot envision designers or developers pushing back on that
statement, the sheer logic of it being (at least to me) more than obvious.
"If you change the background color to black, you MUST change the text to
something with sufficient contrast" is so simplistic as to be laughable, so
all we're saying is continue with the same logic, and know that visible tab
focus needs a minimum contrast ratio as well. What designer is not going to
get that quickly? We're not mandating a specific technique here, we're
simply ensuring the intent is understood: if you cannot perceive the
visible tab focus, it's really not there in practice (even if it is there
in principle).

JF