RE: Gapsin Web Requirements- keyboard operation

I agree that it is better to use language in a provision than have to refer
to a definition.  Couldn't figure out how to do this without making it too
complicated.   But looking for suggestions that might work.

RE:  Using the "path of the pointer movement", not the "path of the users
movement".

This limits this to just pointing devices rather than including other
gesture devices besides pointing devices.

I pasted the original proposal below.  Trying to paste the definition into
the provision gives us:

"All functionality of the content is operable through a keyboard interface
without requiring specific timings for individual keystrokes, except where
the underlying task requires input that depends on the path of the user's
movement and not just the endpoints. (Level A)

A bit long.  And it doesn't allow us an easy way to attach the notes....

Hmmmmm

Maybe

"All functionality of the content is operable through a keyboard interface
without requiring specific timings for individual keystrokes, except where
the underlying task cannot be accomplished without input that includes the
path of the users movement and not just the endpoints. (Level A)

Again quite long.   But clearer perhaps.

The tricky part is wording it so that it is clear that the path dependence
applies to the underlying task and not in the interface task.  Handwriting
input is an input (interface) technique that requires path dependent input
but the underlying task is text - which does not.

Thoughts?

Gregg

2.1.1 Keyboard (Except): All functionality
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20070426/#functiondef>  of the
content is operable through a keyboard interface
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20070426/#keybrd-interfacedef>
without requiring specific timings for individual keystrokes, except where
the underlying functionality requires path dependent input. (Level A)
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20070426/Overview.h
tml#keyboard-operation-keyboard-operable>

2.1.2 Keyboard (No Exception): All functionality
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20070426/#functiondef>  of the
content is operable in a non-time-dependent manner through a keyboard
interface
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20070426/#keybrd-interfacedef> .
(Level AAA)

path dependent input

input that depends on the path of  the user's movement and not just the
endpoints.

Note: This relates to the underlying function - not the input technique.
For example, using gestures to enter text is an input technique where the
outcome is dependent on the path of the user's movements but the underlying
functionality is just text input (which does not require that one use an
interface that records or passes on the user's movement paths).

Note: Most actions carried out by a pointing device can also be done from
the keyboard (for example, clicking, selecting, moving, sizing). However,
there is a small class of input that is done with a pointing device that
cannot be done from the keyboard in any known fashion without requiring an
inordinate number of keystrokes.   Free hand drawing, watercolor painting,
and flying a helicopter through an obstacle course are all examples of
functions that require path dependent input.   Drawing straight lines,
regular geometric shapes, re-sizing windows and dragging objects to a
location (when the path to that location is not relevant) do not require
path dependent input.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.