Re: Minutes from 16 November 2000 WCAG WG telecon

At 07:22 AM 11/21/00 -0800, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>quite useful to those with limited reading skills if the language is kept
>simple and sentences short.

Of course, this all presumes that the "summary" is written "simpler" than
what it summarizes. I find this counter-intuitive. If one were able to
simplify *and* summarize in a smaller space, why wouldn't the "summary" be
the main thing and have pointers to the hard-to-comprehend main text
instead of the other way 'round?

In the guidelines effort we are faced with the identical problem: expanding
the terse/precise/technical stuff with elaborated
descriptions/definitions/elucidations. If it worked to have a summary
clarify things, we needn't have the expansion?

I am all in favor of summaries (where appropriate?) and in fact think they
are an important part of the indexing (they are the "what" and "why") and
will play a major part in making the Semantic Web usable. Such materials
are what they mean by "Resource Description" the first two items in the RDF
acronym!

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE