Re: diversity in web UI design

At 2:24 PM -0500 11/1/00, Al Gilman wrote:
>Do we actually know ahead of time whether the unanticipated combination
>will be
>better served by bending the one solution that has to do for all; or one
>out of
>several, where one of the several may be optimized for a case that is
>closer to
>the person's actual situation than is the 'universal' page or site?
>Or are we are all guessing?

I think we're all guessing.  I know that while Edapta has done work
in "breadth", I'm not comfortable enough to say that we've hit the
full range of abilities yet that I would feel safe in not having a
'universal' site.

But your point is well taken.  And I think this is why we want to be
sure to make this a _techniques_ issue not a _guidelines_ issue.
Guidelines express a need that must be met, techniques provide a
possible way to do it.  A "universal" site is one technique, but
selecting the closest fit is another technique.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/