RE: Baseline capabilities

At 10:31 AM 10/19/2000 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>(Note that we are essentially determining how far back we need to provide
>support, assuming that newer systems are going to be better).

Bad assumption, Charles.  There is nothing "better" -- beyond a
closer adherence to HTML 3.2 -- about the browsers that run on my
Palm, and my browser on my cell phone is hopelessly inadequate.

You were at the same Device Independent Workshop as me, you should
know better :) -- we don't want to think just about desktop browsers
when writing our baseline capabilities.

For example, I see no reference to access by phone-based voice
systems, and yet it still remains cheaper for a person to get a
phone than to get a 486 running Linux.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/