Re: SVG techniques

At 01:35 PM 10/11/2000 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Here is what we did at the face to face meeting on SVG techniques - they are
>listed accoridng to WCAG 2.
>
>they are also available online at http://www.w3.org/2000/10/wcag2-svg-techs
>
>This fulfils one of my action items from the meeting...
>
>Charles McCN

>Guidelines and Checkpoints
>
>   Guideline 1. Design content that can be presented visually, auditorily or
>   tactually, according to the needs and preferences of the user.
>
>    1.1 Ensure, by providing text equivalents to auditory and graphical
>           presentations as necessary, that every component of a document,
>           web page or multimedia presentation can be rendered as text in
>           a standard character set.
>           Note: a text equivalent can take a variety of forms. It is
>           intended to fulfill the same function, and serve the same
>           purpose as the auditory or visual presentation to which it
>           provides an alternative. Thus, in writing a text equivalent, it
>           may be appropriate, in some contexts, to provide a short label
>           or descriptive phrase that can be substituted for the auditory
>           or graphical material. In other circumstances, however, a
>           longer explanation, description or exposition may be required.
>           A text equivalentmay consist of structured content or metadata,
>           if appropriate.
>
>           + Use a desc and title element for all g elements

Do we really want to use these for all the g elements or just the groups
that have important (or some better wording) semantic meaning? It might
give users too much irrelevant low level information if the author has no
choice, but it is then more difficult to explain what the requirement is
and if it is fullfilled.

Marja