RE: A tithe of pages: towards an animated browsing environment

At 10:58 AM 10/5/00 -0400, Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>I imagine the average kindergarten to be lucky to have a 28k modem.  If I
>caculated it right, that story would take about 15 minutes to load!  Can you
>image what your browsing experince would be like if this was typical for any
>given site?  (Let alone, ten minutes for any given page!)

School districts that are equipping classrooms with the Internet aren't
necessarily using modems, but using efficient networks with a DSL (etc)
connection. The Lily Frog program required about 10 minutes to download,
which was done before the students entered the lab (our classrooms will be
wired in the next phase, currently we only have internet in the library and
adjoining computer lab). Ten minutes was insignificant for the content the
sitee afforded, and was neglible compared to the 10 days to six weeks it
takes to order materials and media by mail!

Oh, and Bruce, I was using the Internet with kids back when it took as long
or longer to download a scene from Shakespeare from gopher, and that was
all text! I found the wait worthwhile then, and the wait worthwhile now.
The best alternative wait is weeks, even months and years to wait for tv or
video to happen....

I'm not saying that ALL sites have to be done in flash, not all sites have
content that is maximized by such a presentation ... but I am saying that
because flash provides the essential elements for accessibility, it should
be supported by those genuinely interested in accessibility.

				Anne

PS: least you think I'm teaching in a posh school district, I should tell
you that we are a rural school district in traditional tobacco-growing
country in south-central Virginia. Teacher pay is among the lowest in the
state, but we do have parents who want "more" for their children and the
community makes sacrifices to bring this about. Admittedly, Virginia is a
leader among states in providing Internet services to schools.

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling
apembert@crosslink.net