Re: Definition of Document

Jutta Treviranus wrote:

> I've read through all the other W3C documents. Most of them take the
> approach of defining element, attribute and property under document as
> well. As a result there are none that offer a more expanded definition of
> the term document on its own but only as it is made up of elements,
> attributes and properties.

How else do you want to define document?

> Ian you had a definition from the CSS document (which wasn't in their
> glossary) could you send that to the list so we can recycle it.

Refer to "Source Document" (from [1]).

Source document
        The document to which one or more style sheets refer.
        This is encoded in some language that
        represents the document as a tree of elements.
        Each element consists of a name that identifies the
        type of element, optionally a number of attributes,
        and a (possibly empty) content.

Maybe refer to the Web Characterization Terminology [2]
(though they don't define document).

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/conform#doctree
[2] http://www.w3.org/1999/05/WCA-terms/
Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783