Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

30 May 2018


janina, Becka11y, tdrake, Léonie, IanPouncey, MichaelC, JF


<janina> regretss+ gottfried, becky

Agenda Overview; Announcements

<janina> no news

Charter Renewal Update

<janina> https://www.w3.org/2018/03/draft-apa-charter.html

<scribe> scribe: JF

JS: Proposal to W3M is to point to external liaison as we currently do (i.e. ISO, IETF, etc.). Proposing we add accessibility activity @ WHAT WG

<MichaelC> https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Accessibility

[discussion - MC looking for WHAT WG a11y content]

MC: had previously offered a statement

<MichaelC> draft WHATWG liaison statement: Coordination on accessibility of web technologies developed by the WHATWG.

LW: curious to know if WHAT WG are "happy" with this?

JS: seems that WHAT WG are now more open to working around a11y
... one person "apologized" about past history (but unclear if the person was speaking on behalf of the entire WHAT WG)

MC: making a minor edit

<MichaelC> Revised liaison statement: Coordinate on accessibility of web technologies.

+1 to Michael's draft

<tink> +1

<janina> +1

CSS Updates -- Ian

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

JS: took a note to revisit WebVTT & TTML to see if they followed up on our recommendations

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

<MichaelC> CSS Writing Modes Level 4

CSS writing module level 4 - we've previously passed on level 3, so...

MC: 2 payment activities that we need to look at

JS: watching

TPAC 2018 Planning -- Joint Meeting Prospects

<janina> https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/schedule.html

JS: propose to review TPAC schedule to identify what (if any) groups we'd like to have a joint meeting with
... start of planning wiki for APA for TPAC 2018
... CSS WG - we should hope to do this
... related to Role Parity (as discussed at ARIA F2F)
... Media query personalizations

MC: Role Parity may not be the right term. James Nurthern has more data here. We need API mappings for CSS-type content (i.e. pseudo class content)

LW: Role parity may not be correct. CSS Semantics (perhaps?)?

JS: was discussed 2 or 3 weeks ago here

<MichaelC> ARIA discussion of CSS

<MichaelC> APA discussion of CSS proposals

MC: about how layout changes should impact a11y tree
... question is, are we doing this in a coordinated and consistent way? Currently not

<tink> https://developer.paciellogroup.com/blog/2018/03/short-note-on-what-css-display-properties-do-to-table-semantics/

MC: Internationalization WG to harmoize horizontal review practices
... Media and Entertainment WG - we need to meet with them, revisit MAUR

(we should ask publishing to join us there)

MC: Publishing - even without a specific agenda, we should anticipate a meeting at this time
... Web Authentication - topic to be identified (a Maybe?)
... Payments - topic to be identified (a Maybe?). Hope to will be able to discuss gaps
... Web Platform - Maybe. Strategise around WHAT WG, making a11y a greater driver of W3C activities.
... WebRTC

JS: Getting concerned about not seeing good accessible implementations

MC: we may need some test cases

LW: WebEx isn't a bad example

JS: too many applications are not supporting multiple devices - apps support default (only) and not alternatives

MC: Web Commerce IG

JS: yes, this is the higher-level issues and inter-relations of the various emergent specs
... we hope to have something in the Draft PAUR (Payments Accessibility User Requirements) by then

MC: WoT - possible

LW: have an embedded SME from TPG there
... getting that group to start thinking about use cases / user stories

JS: coordinate with Shadi activities

MC: Privacy and Security IGs - horizontal review discussion(s)
... Web Incubator Community Group - LW concerns about Privacy, Deque (Wilco) have concerns about testability of AOM

LW: AOM may happen at a different meeting

be done

LW: anticipate a wide review for Microdata Draft Spec

<janina> https://rawgit.com/w3c/apa/captcha-janina/captcha/index.html

JS: CAPTCHA document has had an extensive re-write - so extensive created a new branch

still polishing and link-checking (etc.)

JS: but pretty much ready for a new read and comment

hope to have it finalized within the next week or so

JS: ajourned

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/05/30 17:03:08 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Senatics (perhgaps)/Semantics (perhaps?)/
Succeeded: s/ajorned/ajourned/
Default Present: janina, Becka11y, tdrake, Léonie, IanPouncey, MichaelC, JF
Present: janina Becka11y tdrake Léonie IanPouncey MichaelC JF
Regrets: Ian
Found Scribe: JF
Inferring ScribeNick: JF
Found Date: 30 May 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]