Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

09 May 2018


Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, janina, Becka11y


<scribe> scribe: becka11y

Agenda Overview; Announcements

janina: any edits for the agenda? or items of news?

CSS Updates -- James, Ian

Jamesn: ARIA F2F discussed places where semantics of HTML get overridden by CSS
... need to document where the browser engines do this behavior; then try to understand and get consistency
... Safari - if display a list without bullets and horizontal it no longer reads as a list (conscious decision by Apple)
... Want to make sure CSS TF is plugged into this review
... get a11y people from browser vendors together to discuss what is happening within their engines - they know where these issues are
... need to suggest changes or provide a mechanism for author to get desired behavior vs. browser behavior
... perhaps a good idea to provide a11y semantics via CSS (vs. always having to invoke JavaScript
... Dominic (from google) is willing to investigate this further - need Apple and MS
... Have buy in from google and Firefox - need to get Apple and MS folks involved. Must be knowledgeable of a11y interworkings

janina: WAI is right area to coordinate a call since ARIA, APA, and CSS all fall under this domain

ian: thinks this is something CSS taskforce can facilitate

janina: happy that Dominic and Firefox are interested in pursuing this, we really need Safari as well
... an out reach to James C and someone from MS

ian: will send out a starting email to people

Janina: want to keep a W3C fingerprint for tracking
... involved CSS and HTML - both are within W3C. HTML also involved WHAT

Jamesn: will reach out to participants and try to work out good time via email (Janina to reach out to Russ)

Janina: anything else for CSS?

ian: still need to send emails to Micheal for new people. Have some issues to file against CSS fonts module
... there is a max / min size properties - designed for user style sheets but need a warning for developers about using them

Janina: I suspect large font issue for low vision; blind may actually make as small as possible to get as much as possible on screen

Charter Renewal https://www.w3.org/2018/03/draft-apa-charter


Janina: this is pretty close to what we will send for CFC
... in mission statement - want to make an addition
... developermnt of new specifications and support materials
... items in scope: item that reads identifies gaps ….. thinks we can drop that statement at the end
... which reads: (this work is expected to be performed in a task force);
... added two words - finding and additional in the end of the phrase that starts with articulate findings
... suggesting a new bullet in section 3
... “Leverage existing W3C markup technologies to produce new specifications which support content personalization for various identified accessibility requirements;"
... in section on organizations - dropped a few, clean up one
... what was ARIA decision on DAISY?
... are dropping open ajax and linux

Michael: ARIA kept DAISY since liasoning with publishing

Janina: only place linux still pertains is for any tweaks for IAccessible2; but not specific to W3C
... we need updated links to ISO/IEC JTC ….

Michael: other consideration it about adopting a healthy testing policy - we can keep, remove, or put something else in its place

Janina: this pertains to personalization and FAST

Michael: okay with not incuding testing policy in charter

Janina: okay with that as well
... testing is part of W3C process so do we really need the testing statement?
... next steps - will send out a CFC when Michael indicates it is ready

RQTF Update -- Janina, Jason

Janina: cleaning up language of CAPTCHA document as well as URIs that result in 404
... have addn work of pulling research into end notes so don’t trip on citations while reading document

HTML 5.3 Highlights -- Leonie

<janina> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-apa/2018May/0005.html

Janina: Leonie sent list of HTML 5.3 changes that affect accessibility
... Leonie has identified issues she feels we should look at. Will make this a top item for next week meeting.
... think the one that relates to descrepancies between ARIA and HTML guidelines
... should be looked at via ARIA - will pull out that item and forward to ARIA list

Actions Checkin (Specs) https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/track/products/8

ian: nearly complete on CSS review

new on TR http://www.w3.org/TR/tr-status-drafts.html

Michael: custom elements is being moved to WHAT WG
... we are okay on TR

Other Business

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.152 (CVS log)
$Date: 2018/05/09 16:55:40 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.152  of Date: 2017/02/06 11:04:15  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: Irssi_ISO8601_Log_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/it doesn’t seem to care what I put into the fields except for the password apa-wg//
Present: Joanmarie_Diggs MichaelC janina Becka11y
Found Scribe: becka11y
Inferring ScribeNick: Becka11y
Found Date: 09 May 2018
People with action items: 

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]